Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL 2017 thread for random things which don't require etc etc ...  (Read 27066 times)

I'm always happier to open YACF and see that something new has been posted in this part of the forum.

Saves me from reading the latest "motorized moron" posting about the other kinds of road users.  I do hope that most of them are nowhere near the route next July and August.

Re: LEL 2017 thread for random things which don't require etc etc ...
« Reply #1 on: 23 December, 2016, 01:39:39 am »
Anyone planning to ride LEL should note my 300 from Newby Wiske on the 29th of April, as it's an opportunity to ride some of the same roads and lots of the hillier bits of Yorkshire that you miss on your way north. It would be great training ;)

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-324/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 24 December, 2016, 03:03:18 pm »
I did my first parkrun in months this morning. I didn't have anything christmassy handy, so wore my LEL Volunteer T-shirt over a base-layer (it being almost perfect Xmas red, and it hardly ever gets worn otherwise). This resulted in the chap I raced over the last lap starting a conversation about Audax (and thence various cycling stuffs).

He is someone I have seen riding around town (on a recumbent) every now and then for 10 years, but never spoken to before :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 24 December, 2016, 07:46:25 pm »
Family member thought LEL meant Laugh Extra Loud.

« Reply #4 on: 27 December, 2016, 10:29:05 am »
Will there be a 'free' reflective gilet?  PBP nailed this in 2015 -- distinctive design of stripes, decent quality, good logo. The result is years of good publicity. The Miglia Italia start looked a bit like it was the start of the PBP; everyone was still wearing the PBP gilets.

« Reply #5 on: 27 December, 2016, 02:00:46 pm »
Will there be a 'free' reflective gilet?

No. Nor will there will be any rules about reflective clothing, lights or helmets.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 27 December, 2016, 02:38:42 pm »
Will there be a 'free' reflective gilet?  PBP nailed this in 2015 -- distinctive design of stripes, decent quality, good logo. The result is years of good publicity. The Miglia Italia start looked a bit like it was the start of the PBP; everyone was still wearing the PBP gilets.
2011 was the same! Mine has lasted since then, so I suspect we are still seeing 2011 gilets amongst the 2015 ones at big events.

It's certainly effective publicity ... but the downside was that groups looked like a clone army. it took all the individualty away, which is a shame at an international gathering of cyclists (known for their almost neurotic bloody-mindedness).

[See also: rants about shades+helmets ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #7 on: 28 December, 2016, 12:13:48 pm »
Will there be a 'free' reflective gilet?

No. Nor will there will be any rules about reflective clothing, lights or helmets.

I like that lack of any more rules than the legal requirements. No necessary connection, though, between providing a gilet, and insisting on more rules. And, if other events emulated PBP, the risk of clones (at night, or at the start -- few people wear otherwise) would be lessened as there'd be more variety of such gilets.

« Reply #8 on: 28 December, 2016, 04:59:16 pm »
^^ It's not a PBP rule, it's just a local law that says cyclists must wear a reflective gilet at night/ when it's raining. As far as I know, there is no such law in the country where LEL is held! PBP just help riders to comply with the law by providing a gilet.

« Reply #9 on: 28 December, 2016, 08:14:43 pm »
Exactly. Generally when organisers supply a piece of clothing, the expectation is that the rider is supposed to wear it. My predecessor tried this, and it was poorly received.

Otherwise it's £10 onto the cost of the ride, for a garment that not everyone will want. I could sell them alongside the jersey, and I did contemplate that, but I could't find an appealing garment for the right price.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #10 on: 06 January, 2017, 06:35:48 pm »
'Inaugurals' is how Bernard Mawson referred to participants in the 1989 LEL.

By my reckoning 3 of Bernard's inaugurals will be riding in 2017.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #11 on: 06 January, 2017, 08:30:16 pm »

Do please name and shame. Or name and honour would be more accurate.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #12 on: 06 January, 2017, 08:46:48 pm »

Do please name and shame. Or name and honour would be more accurate.

I know two of the three. Myself and Mr. Salvatore. And I was so upset to see you'd missed the last place Mr. Wobbly :-(

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #13 on: 06 January, 2017, 08:56:08 pm »
I may be wrong, but I think SR Steve will be putting in an appearance

I rode the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th editions. Might ride the 8th to break the pattern.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #14 on: 01 February, 2017, 01:25:38 pm »
Am I right in thinking you can't ECE it?

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #15 on: 01 February, 2017, 01:29:25 pm »

Late start permits doing Ride London earlier in the day and ECE to 1600km. Anyone else here mentally unstable enough to also be considering this possibility?

!
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #16 on: 01 February, 2017, 01:32:22 pm »

Late start permits doing Ride London earlier in the day and ECE to 1600km. Anyone else here mentally unstable enough to also be considering this possibility?
!
Yeah, but I'm assuming that LBR will be in London the day before to register.

Not far enough

• But what I do I do because I like to do.
« Reply #17 on: 01 February, 2017, 02:21:01 pm »

Do you fancy riding down Dale ? You know I'd do it  :facepalm:
https://www.strava.com/athletes/stevegee

Is it better for a man to have chosen evil than to have good imposed upon him?

« Reply #18 on: 01 February, 2017, 03:36:19 pm »

Do you fancy riding down Dale ? You know I'd do it  :facepalm:
;D I know you would.

Just ruling things out at the minute, I'm sure if I asked nicely they'd let me.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 01 February, 2017, 07:32:44 pm »
Why not?

[ I dont believe the calendar organiser even needs to know about an ECE. ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #20 on: 01 February, 2017, 08:36:53 pm »
Oh I see, more difficult because of registration on Saturday. IIRC Teethgrinder may have had an exemption on PBP, but he did have much bigger target than an ECE.

Ride home instead or travel down and register early for a late start on Sunday? Plenty of time to ride an Essex / Herts 200 if you get up early enough...
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #21 on: 02 February, 2017, 02:05:56 am »
ECE it to a long enough distance to bring the speed right down - 10km/h overall if you go for 1900+km, 200km/day if you go for 2500+km IIRC.

The calendar ride still has to be completed within its own limit, of course.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #22 on: 02 February, 2017, 09:15:43 am »

Just ruling things out at the minute, I'm sure if I asked nicely they'd let me.

But .. you have a bag drop problem if you ECE .. vans leave overnight on SATURDAY taking bag drops to controls .. and you  need to be at registration on Saturday .. whether if you opted for no bag drops .. and turned up to register on Sunday .. 1 hour before your LEL start time .. would be OK with Danial and the start team I do not know. But just practically there can not be too many people with out of pattern needs , requests for special treatment etc. So think carefully before even asking .. and then do not be surprised if the answer is .. sorry No.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #23 on: 02 February, 2017, 12:13:00 pm »
Why not?

[ I dont believe the calendar organiser even needs to know about an ECE. ]
Registration the day before, innit.  Would save me ££££ that's all.

« Reply #24 on: 02 February, 2017, 01:20:15 pm »
Registration the day before, innit.  Would save me ££££ that's all.

ECE it to a long enough distance to bring the speed right down - 10km/h overall if you go for 1900+km, 200km/day if you go for 2500+km IIRC.

Indeed, this can work out really well if you front loaded LEL:-

Ride 500km to the start giving a ride length of 1900km (we'll ignore the overdistance bit of LEL...). As John says, this drops the average speed requirement down to 10kph overall (for rides of 1900 to 2499 km).

Overall time limit = 1900km / 10kph = 190h.

Take off the 116h40m for LEL and that leaves you 73h20m (3d 1h 20m) to do that 500km to the start.

If you got a morning LEL start (say 10.30am) that would mean you could start your 500km ride on the Thursday at 9.10am.

You should be able to knock out two 250km days with plenty of sleep meaning you'd arrive at the start on Friday evening (or Saturday morning if you took it a bit easier) in plenty of time to register, drop off drop-bags, etc. You could then have this rest day before starting LEL on the Sunday in your allotted start group.

That solves both registration and drop-bags problems. If you didn't want to carry your drop bags on the 500km section of the ride you could just arrange for someone else to take them to the start for you, and you'd be there on the Saturday to hand them over.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."