Author Topic: DIY by GPS 600km timing question  (Read 1623 times)

DIY by GPS 600km timing question
« on: 16 May, 2019, 09:41:58 pm »
If I have 40 hours to complete a 600km event and do it as a Mandatory route DIY by GPS do I need to worry about pacing? I.e. assuming my legs will do it, Can I ride 400 in 20 hours, stop for 11 hours and then ride 200 in 9 hours?
Would the large pause in the middle be an issue with the average speed, or is it just the start and finish time that matters?
Given there are no controls, I assume there are no issues with opening and closing times.
Thanks

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: DIY by GPS 600km timing question
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2019, 09:47:27 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's just the start and finish times that count, but to be absolutely most surest, maybe send your DIY organiser an email?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2019, 09:54:59 pm »
certainly i was told no problem with doing a diy 400 in a similar manner, 200 in 9 hours, 8 hours to eat and sleep, then another 200 in 10 hours. I never did it. If i were you i'd split the 600 into 360 and 240. i think those 40km on the end of the 360 will be harder than they would be on the end of a 200

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2019, 09:56:26 pm »
Are there really no controls on a DIYxGPS with a mandatory route?

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2019, 09:58:37 pm »
DIYs don't specifically check intermediate times.  However, validating by-GPS does flag riders who take the pish and ride super-quick, although I'm not sure that's an actual offence, or just a useful indicator.

But if you finished it overall quicker than 30kph then it would not be validated.  Standing around for five minutes for the minute hand to tick over usually does the trick *.

* I have never, ever had to do this.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2019, 10:04:30 pm »

Nope. That's why I like them. Supply a gpx in advance, ride it, send resulting gpx to organiser. Simples!

« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2019, 10:07:29 pm »
DIYs don't specifically check intermediate times.  However, validating by-GPS does flag riders who take the pish and ride super-quick, although I'm not sure that's an actual offence, or just a useful indicator.

But if you finished it overall quicker than 30kph then it would not be validated.  Standing around for five minutes for the minute hand to tick over usually does the trick *.

* I have never, ever had to do this.
There will never be an issue with me nudging towards 30 kph on anything of any distance...

« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2019, 10:18:55 pm »

Nope. That's why I like them. Supply a gpx in advance, ride it, send resulting gpx to organiser. Simples!
That's not the case, you don't have to stop at the controls, but they are required
Next, plan your route, & define your controls.
You'll need a gpx or tcx file of your Intended Route. This may be sourced from a GPX Tracklog if you have previously ridden the exact route or may be created using an online Route planning tool.

In order for your ride to be considered an “Audax” ride you’ll need to define some controls. Typically these might be where you intend to stop for refreshment.

Controls should be at intervals around the route of between 50 km and 80 km. Events of 100km or less should have at least one intermediate checkpoint in addition to the start/finish.
http://www.aukweb.net/diy/mand/

« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2019, 10:53:38 pm »
If I have 40 hours to complete a 600km event and do it as a Mandatory route DIY by GPS do I need to worry about pacing? I.e. assuming my legs will do it, Can I ride 400 in 20 hours, stop for 11 hours and then ride 200 in 9 hours?
Would the large pause in the middle be an issue with the average speed, or is it just the start and finish time that matters?
Given there are no controls, I assume there are no issues with opening and closing times.
Thanks
Pretty sure you have 42 odd hours for a 600 which is not BRM. You need to specify controls as well as providing the route you commit to follow. On a permanent (Ian H's Kernow and SW) I have ridden for 15 hours, stopped for 9 and then finished off with another 16.

« Reply #9 on: 17 May, 2019, 05:32:48 am »
Yes, minimum average for DIYs 200 - 600km is 14.3km/hour.
42 hours for 600km, and pro rata longer if the entered distance is more - eg 43 hours for 614km.

Other event distances: 700 or more, see Regs 9.7.1: https://www.audax.uk/media/1806/auk_regulations_050418.pdf
                                  less than 200: for DIYs, 10km/hour.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 17 May, 2019, 10:44:46 am »

That's not the case, you don't have to stop at the controls, but they are required
Next, plan your route, & define your controls.
You'll need a gpx or tcx file of your Intended Route. This may be sourced from a GPX Tracklog if you have previously ridden the exact route or may be created using an online Route planning tool.

In order for your ride to be considered an “Audax” ride you’ll need to define some controls. Typically these might be where you intend to stop for refreshment.

Controls should be at intervals around the route of between 50 km and 80 km. Events of 100km or less should have at least one intermediate checkpoint in addition to the start/finish.
http://www.aukweb.net/diy/mand/

It can be confusing but the explanation on the AUK site is clear about how the controls work on GPS perm mandatory and GPS perm advisory routes

Both types of GPS perm have controls as nominated places that must be visited.  Neither requires stopping at the places but the GPS track must show that you've been there and in the right order

I hesitate to describe it any further when you can read it on the AUK site