Author Topic: SA 3-speed, minor gear problem.  (Read 776 times)

gordon taylor

SA 3-speed, minor gear problem.
« on: 25 December, 2010, 09:44:44 pm »
Mrs G has a Dahon folder with a Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub gear.
All works fine, but it'll only stay in "1" (the low gear) if you hold down the trigger.

Do I slacken or tighten the cable? Or something else?

Thanks.

Re: SA 3-speed, minor gear problem.
« Reply #1 on: 25 December, 2010, 10:28:33 pm »
Sounds as if you need to slacken the cable until it will click in - probably only a turn or 2.

The clicks are at the changer, so I'd guess you are pulling enough cable to select the gear at the hub, but are not able to pull enough cable for the trigger to reach it's index point.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 26 December, 2010, 02:48:55 pm »
Readjust using these instructions to get it spot on:

From http://www.foldabikes.com/Talk/Docs/gear_manual.pdf :

"With [bike] UNFOLDED follow gear shifting cable to point of entry into rear wheel. Here you will find a small chain and rod
assembly attached to the cable end where it is attached with a screw in barrel fitting secured by small knurled lock nut. Loosen lock nut (gently use two pairs of pliers if necessary) and disassemble cable from indicator chain assembly.

Now ensure that chain and rod assembly is screwed into hub completely. Turn back maximum of half a turn if necessary to ensure sure chain runs freely through round shouldered indicator nut on wheel axle and reattach indicator chain to cable assembly.

Select second gear on the handle bar gear control. Looking through the “window” in the right had axle nut turn the barrel nut cable adjuster until the end of the indicator rod as attached to indicator chain is exactly even with the end of the axle. Note: The indicator rod is attached to end of shifting chain. Now spin rear wheel with pedal crank and reexamine to assure proper adjustment. Finally tighten lock nut against barrel nut."
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 26 December, 2010, 03:24:11 pm »
If it never worked properly despite (apparent) correct adjustment, it could be that someone has fitted the wrong indicator spindle.  They are different lengths fior different axles.  An alternative way to adjust is to get the cable just slack in "3".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

gordon taylor

« Reply #4 on: 26 December, 2010, 05:48:24 pm »
Thank you all. I'll go and have a play...