Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 425164 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #750 on: 10 May, 2012, 04:47:02 pm »
If I had to get back from a 20 miler by 7am I'd have to set off about 3  :o

Probably a good incentive to get faster  ;)
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

« Reply #751 on: 10 May, 2012, 04:55:43 pm »
My plan for the Northants Ultra is an extra slow ('race pace') 22 mile trail run with a couple of hills this Sunday then next week a faster 13 mile trail Friday, medium effort 5k parkrun Saturday then slow 10 miles Sunday to let them legs know they will be required to carry on even if they would prefer a rest. That'll have to do as then it's taper time.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #752 on: 10 May, 2012, 05:43:28 pm »
Matt- what 'progress' are you after? Faster 5ks?
Goodness no. :) Not remotely worried about speed. (The Parkruns are just a nice event I can do at a convenient time, and it's been motivating to see my time come down).

I want to be an Ultra Runner!
I'd like to run further. 'Proper' long runs would be brilliant (as Steve put it, Audax on foot), but I'd settle for an hour*. I regularly ran for an hour when I was younger and found it was enough to really blow the cobwebs away, feel like you'd done something, put the demons to bed for awhile and all that jazz.

Being able to ride for 24hours (almost) non-stop makes it very frustrating to only jog for 40mins  >:(

(*given my leg fractures in '93 and subsequent joint problems )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #753 on: 10 May, 2012, 05:45:51 pm »
I'm rather jealous of a 50-mile week whilst injured!

My progress is a bit confused at the mo, despite my epic vanquishing of Nik last week. My legs are fine* on a 25min flat-out blast (HR160ave-ish), but if I try a steadier pace (HR 130-140) I can't manage 40mins without various pains of the type I choose not to push through.
This is off a few months of sporadic runs punctuated by big bike miles. I think I need frequency, so I'm aiming to run at least 10 mins, 5 times a week from now on - treat it like building up after injury.

(It's possible that my gait is more efficient when i run fast. So I'm doing some longer sessions as fast run-walk.  )

*Tired/achy, but in healthy ways!

I would suggest you targeted the Didcot 5 race as a step up being as it's on your doorstep but I guess you'll be Bashing the Barbury that weekend.

« Reply #754 on: 10 May, 2012, 05:51:40 pm »
Have you had your gait analysed Matt, and what hurts?!

« Reply #755 on: 11 May, 2012, 11:16:06 am »
Uggh - IT band pain is a new one to me. Outside of my left knee has a dull ache, and it feels weak going down the stairs.

Running is annoying. I've never had more than a slightly uncomfortable bottom when cycling. Running makes me want new legs.

Doing IT band stretches, will leave off running until Tuesday. Anything else I can do to make it go away?

« Reply #756 on: 11 May, 2012, 11:18:23 am »
Get the foam roller on it. Best thing for it, helps more than stretching (but that will of course help too!)

« Reply #757 on: 11 May, 2012, 11:40:35 am »
Just borrowed a TPTherapy roller and had a go on it.

Sore!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #758 on: 11 May, 2012, 02:19:20 pm »
I've used a rolling pin instead of these over-priced bits of foam and the like! (actually the foam is a bit easier to use - but prices are still crazy)

My turn: pain is right at the top of the calf muscle, outside, feels like where it attaches to the knobbly bit (which I assume is a bit of bone, maybe the head of the shin-bone?)
If I find a nice piccie I'll try to find the posh name.

(I've had loads of other issues over the years, but this one seems to be the one with staying power in 2012. Most of the other issues went away when I switched to POSE-type running.)

If I won the lottery I'd pay a dozen physios to look at it, but I've been down that road before - lots of money, little result  :-\ Saving my cash for problems that prevent me cycling, working, or mowing the lawn.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #759 on: 11 May, 2012, 02:21:49 pm »
Yes find a nice piccie Matt, can't quite work out where you're on about lol.

When you switched to POSE, did you go to a workshop/coaching session or did you do it from the book?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #760 on: 11 May, 2012, 02:24:56 pm »
I'll give you a clue - which would have been cheaper?

[book? When there's so much hearsay and nonsense free on the internet?!? ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #761 on: 11 May, 2012, 02:28:42 pm »
LOL, ok, fair enough. It's just that its quite hard to get it right from the book/internet/wherever you've found it!

2 weeks today till my foot gets fixed. This should be renamed the broken and injured thread- its not a great advert for running!!!!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #762 on: 11 May, 2012, 02:41:45 pm »
LOL, ok, fair enough. It's just that its quite hard to get it right from the book/internet/wherever you've found it!
I do usually have more faith in professionals than Internet Experts. But I did a lot of reading about POSE, and it seemed that the only problems were from doing too much too soon (same with proper barefoot running).

2 weeks today till my foot gets fixed. This should be renamed the broken and injured thread- its not a great advert for running!!!!

Good luck. When's the first 50-miler scheduled?!?

I can't blame my injuries on running or cycling - my mistake was getting into a car on an icy night.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #763 on: 11 May, 2012, 02:49:04 pm »
Haha!! I'll just have to see 'how' fixed it is. It might yet not work at all, although I don't want to really think about that. I'd have to turn into a cyclist or something.

Supposed to be running again within 6 weeks, we'll see.....

« Reply #764 on: 11 May, 2012, 03:21:04 pm »
I'd have to turn into a cyclist or something.

Some are born cyclists, some become cyclists, and some have cycling thrust upon them  ;)

Seriously, hope you get what you hope for from the op.

« Reply #765 on: 11 May, 2012, 03:29:20 pm »

Whatever happens, I've found Time Trialling, which I didn't know about a year ago, and I'll carry that on, and I think I'll still do the occasional Audax, I've liked seeing new places.

And if I end up as a cyclist, so be it. I pulled out of the Mille Alba due to reasons that are no longer relevant, so I might have to think about LEL or something and whatever leads up to that! Just think, mind you. Still not sure about this no sleep thing.

But hopefully I'll be running.

« Reply #766 on: 11 May, 2012, 03:48:26 pm »
I've used a rolling pin instead of these over-priced bits of foam and the like! (actually the foam is a bit easier to use - but prices are still crazy)

Tell me about it! Fortunately, one of the researchers downstairs decided that after her PhD, she wanted to get some practical behavior change experience, so spent ten grand doing all sorts of PT training courses. However, she then got a job with us. In the absence of a client list, I'm basically been her guinea pig, and she won't take any money for it. The £150 roller kit is hers. She just shows me how to use it. In return, her office mates get to laugh at me weeping in pain.

She's doing Tough Mudder at the weekend. She's utterly self-effacing about her abilities, which will make it a complete joy if she gets around quicker that the somewhat alpha male mates of mine who are also doing it. There will be considerable teasing.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #767 on: 11 May, 2012, 07:54:28 pm »
My turn: pain is right at the top of the calf muscle, outside, feels like where it attaches to the knobbly bit (which I assume is a bit of bone, maybe the head of the shin-bone?)

The label 'F' on this slightly odd picture shows the rough location. Of course it stops as soon as I do, so it's hard to pin down, but it really does feel like the very top of the soft tissue just before you reach bone (a bone which sadly isn't visible in this picture!). Not in the body of the muscle, certainly not in the knee joint.

I am vaguely aware that the ITB reaches down to below the knee, and given that this has caused me knee problems while riding (now resolved, touch wood), I'm open to the idea that it's related  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #768 on: 19 May, 2012, 12:40:17 pm »
Did my first Parkrun this morning. As expected, painfully slow but it will be interesting to see my times improve each week, I hope.

I made the mistake of setting off too quickly but you kind of get pushed along by the pack when it starts.  I don't think I was the only one though, on the last lap I did manage to pass a few of the peeps who had dropped me earlier on.

Great fun. Highly recommended, particularly as it's free.

« Reply #769 on: 19 May, 2012, 09:47:32 pm »
More physio. This time, the physio diagnosed weak "bum" and thighs to go with my weak ankles. Reckons I've got hamstrings "like rocks". I don't know if that is a good thing.

I'm doing the foam roller on the ITB, lots of calf and hamstring stretches, more ankle lifts, and some short lunges. She reckons I lack control, which combined with the tight calves and hamstrings, is the cause of the IT band problems.

She's saying no running, but both the physio and the PT at work reckon that's a bad idea. As you can imagine, theirs is the message I prefer. Did 9 miles in, 7 miles home on Friday with no ankle pain and only a mildly tweaky left knee. Trying to follow some sort of plan for the 50km in July, albeit skipping some short runs, and doing the long run and the tired legs run on the same day.

« Reply #770 on: 20 May, 2012, 09:02:15 am »
Did my first Parkrun this morning. As expected, painfully slow but it will be interesting to see my times improve each week, I hope.

I made the mistake of setting off too quickly but you kind of get pushed along by the pack when it starts.  I don't think I was the only one though, on the last lap I did manage to pass a few of the peeps who had dropped me earlier on.

Great fun. Highly recommended, particularly as it's free.

They're great fun aren't they! It's really hard to avoid getting dragged along at the start - even with my Garmin telling me it's unsustainable it's just really hard to slow up. Ran my 18th yesterday, my slowest to date, deliberately starting near the back and just taking it easy.

« Reply #771 on: 20 May, 2012, 09:10:01 am »
More physio. This time, the physio diagnosed weak "bum" and thighs to go with my weak ankles. Reckons I've got hamstrings "like rocks". I don't know if that is a good thing.

I'm doing the foam roller on the ITB, lots of calf and hamstring stretches, more ankle lifts, and some short lunges. She reckons I lack control, which combined with the tight calves and hamstrings, is the cause of the IT band problems.

She's saying no running, but both the physio and the PT at work reckon that's a bad idea. As you can imagine, theirs is the message I prefer. Did 9 miles in, 7 miles home on Friday with no ankle pain and only a mildly tweaky left knee. Trying to follow some sort of plan for the 50km in July, albeit skipping some short runs, and doing the long run and the tired legs run on the same day.

I've also been doing less routine short mile runs to compensate for upping the length of the long runs - makes sense not to increase the overall mileage unnecessarily steeply and also I reckon the odd extra day recovery is good when running long. Deliberately slow 8 mile trail run today with full kit then just a couple of easy 4 milers next week to be rested for next Sunday's ultra.

« Reply #772 on: 20 May, 2012, 09:19:59 am »

The label 'F' on this slightly odd picture shows the rough location. Of course it stops as soon as I do, so it's hard to pin down, but it really does feel like the very top of the soft tissue just before you reach bone (a bone which sadly isn't visible in this picture!). Not in the body of the muscle, certainly not in the knee joint.

I am vaguely aware that the ITB reaches down to below the knee, and given that this has caused me knee problems while riding (now resolved, touch wood), I'm open to the idea that it's related  :-\

I used to get a lot of pain around there (F) in early audax days, both legs at different times, and it recurred when I started running but hasn't troubled recently. I'm pretty convinced that it was ITB but not the 'usual' presumed rubbing against knob of bone thing but rather a strain on the ligaments that attach the lower end to the bone.

(Last year riding fixed audax at the same time as trying to run gave me shin splints instead - I only tend to have one debilitating syndrome at a time for which I'm thankful.)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #773 on: 28 May, 2012, 04:24:42 pm »
Apparently I was 3 seconds off my Parkrun PB this Sat. Quite happy, as I'm not sure I was recovered from the BCM. On Sunday I had notable calf soreness on a long [bike] climb - never had that before, must be the running.

[I say apparently, as official time was about 6 seconds slower than my stopwatch, and I never remember to press Stop until well after the line. But hey, it's just for fun, right? ]

Still working on the calf/knee pain issue ...  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #774 on: 29 May, 2012, 04:02:26 pm »
Nice work Matt :)

I'm now done and in plaster, which I'm already horribly annoyed with. But hopefully worth it :)

They have repaired my PF rupture, scraped my nodules, and moved a few nerves/tendons around and released them, drilling in to a couple of bones which apparently will help heal them.

2 weeks in plaster- I'm now on day 5 and getting frustrated. Have been going to the gym but its somewhat restrictive with what you can do!!!