Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 399998 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1150 on: 13 December, 2013, 09:07:54 am »
Link in today's parkrun email to Jantastic
It's a challenge to help motivate you to consistency. I'll enter, as I like that kind of thing, and it'll take me to the end of March which is when the cycling ramps up and the running will recede.

Apparently you can enter as a team.
Anyone interested?

(The 'prize' is entry to the London Marathon 2015. I'm sure I don't need to tell you I'll be passing on that, in the unlikely event I get pulled out of the hat)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1151 on: 20 December, 2013, 07:00:41 am »
Number-swappers to be disqualified under new UKA rules
http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/new-uka-rules/

Under the new rules, which come into operation on April 1 2014, athletes who run in transferred numbers in UKA-licensed road races without permission are to be disqualified. Both they and those who pass on the number will be subject to disciplinary action via the appropriate national organisation.

Many road races make arrangements for legal transfers of entries for those who wish to withdraw from the event and those seeking late entry, but unauthorised number-swapping is common and the bane of many organisers

Probably never enforced much below elite level, but interesting.

I've entered 2 road races - sold the place for one!  :-[  (I was injured, and it was feckin expensive. Your Honour.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1152 on: 20 December, 2013, 11:04:00 am »
Entered the Reading half marathon, to keep a mate who's doing the London marathon company. I guess I'll have to start jogging again.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1153 on: 20 December, 2013, 11:31:32 am »
Link in today's parkrun email to Jantastic
It's a challenge to help motivate you to consistency. I'll enter, as I like that kind of thing, and it'll take me to the end of March which is when the cycling ramps up and the running will recede.

Apparently you can enter as a team.
Anyone interested?

I wasn't sure about this at first, but I reckon it could be good extra motivation in the cold months ahead, so yeah, why not? Have you set up a team?

(The 'prize' is entry to the London Marathon 2015. I'm sure I don't need to tell you I'll be passing on that, in the unlikely event I get pulled out of the hat)

This could be one of the main motivating factors for me. I'll probably never do the London Marathon unless I win entry via something like this. I've already missed out on the Parkrun "Chase the Place" option.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1154 on: 20 December, 2013, 05:18:38 pm »
Surely entering The Ballot would give you a better shot?  ??? [IANA expert on the London Marathon!]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #1155 on: 20 December, 2013, 05:25:29 pm »
Surely entering The Ballot would give you a better shot?  ??? [IANA expert on the London Marathon!]

I'm not entirely sure that it is, tbh, given how few places are available to the ballot and how many people enter it. Plus you have to pay up front, which I have issues with.

I'm not that fussed about the London Marathon anyway - there are other nicer marathons - but I wouldn't turn down a free place.

« Reply #1156 on: 20 December, 2013, 05:41:44 pm »
Join your local running club, they nearly always have places, and will train you to get round in reasonable time*

*This is according to my neighbour who only told me after I'd got through the ballot done the bloody thing

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1157 on: 20 December, 2013, 09:24:41 pm »
fwiw regarding london marathon ballot entries, i was unsuccessful four times, then successful two years in a row, then didn't get a place in 2012 and this year missed the entry date :facepalm: ;D

« Reply #1158 on: 21 December, 2013, 03:19:17 pm »
I wasn't sure about this at first, but I reckon it could be good extra motivation in the cold months ahead, so yeah, why not? Have you set up a team?

We need 6 in to score. Can I have 5 further volunteers? Team is yacf.

(I've persuaded both my sisters to sign up. We'll be comparing & contrasting fat bird running in Suffolk, with thin lady running in Sydney, Australia, and thin woman running in Auckland NZ. Little sister's already told me she can only run at night as it's too hot in the daytime. Bless.)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1159 on: 21 December, 2013, 03:59:36 pm »
I'd love to help - I suspect my 3mins once-a-month won't quite qualify, sorry.

(I followed jantastic last year, but had a few minor niggles then so didn't want to commit to too much. Had it started in Feb/March it would have been perfect!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

« Reply #1160 on: 27 December, 2013, 03:55:15 pm »
Just been down to the Running Outlet in Canterbury to blow my Christmas cash on some new shoes.

Ended up with a pair of Asics Gel-Volt 33. Very comfortable. Can't wait to get out and try them.

Could probably have bought cheaper online but the chap in the shop took time to give me a proper gait analysis, which he talked me through, showing me the video on his computer, and helped me choose a suitable pair (ie didn't just steer me towards the most expensive), so I feel like I've got really good value.

Apparently, my gait is almost perfectly neutral, which is pleasing. I asked if the cycling is likely to be an influence on running style and he thought very likely. Interesting.

citoyen

« Reply #1161 on: 31 December, 2013, 06:05:52 pm »
I'm in now. I've set my target as three runs per week. Kind of wondering if I should give myself a harder target but I've got a few more days to make up my mind.

Finished off 2013 with a nice gentle 10-miler earlier today, and I'll be starting tomorrow as I hope to go on in 2014 - with a duathlon! Getting up for the Whitstable parkrun at 9am, then cycling the 29km to Margate for their parkrun at 10.30am. I'll be cutting it fine but I reckon it's doable - especially if the wind stays a southwesterly...

« Reply #1162 on: 31 December, 2013, 07:28:59 pm »
I did my duathlon today- ran up a gert big hill (only 4km but 250m climbing) then went for a ride.

Three runs a week is all I'm willing to commit to- I'd rather manage that consistently for the 3 months than aim higher and fail. By the time I'm at the gym for 3 sessions and riding to work as well as a long ride at the weekend I reckon that's plenty.
I'm really starting to enjoy it, now. It's a great feeling of freedom, more than I get on a bike at the moment. Maybe not more, maybe just different.

« Reply #1163 on: 01 January, 2014, 02:01:10 pm »
We need 6 in to score. Can I have 5 further volunteers? Team is yacf

I have joined, and although I'm not exactly sure how motivational it'll be, I've committed myself to 5 runs a week. Just you and me in the team at the moment, fboab.
I've joined - just the motivation I need.  Target is 3 runs a week.

citoyen

« Reply #1164 on: 01 January, 2014, 02:58:06 pm »

Three runs a week is all I'm willing to commit to- I'd rather manage that consistently for the 3 months than aim higher and fail.

That's what I'm thinking too. I'd like to aim for 4 or 5 runs per week but i wouldn't realistically be able to manage it every week.

I'm really starting to enjoy it, now. It's a great feeling of freedom, more than I get on a bike at the moment. Maybe not more, maybe just different.

Same here. I've become more of a runner than a cyclist in recent months. Cycling is mostly just transport for me at the moment, while running is purely for fun. Probably not a bad thing - it's always this time of year I get into the cycling doldrums so it's nice to have something else to do to mix it up a bit.

Must do more cycling in 2014 though - I really need to do an SR with PBP 2015 in mind.

The duathlon went well. Took it easy round the first parkrun, 23.20, hammered it on the bike but was slowed down by ferocious crosswinds, taking a bit over an hour for the 29km, so arrived at parkrun 2 just as everyone was setting off, and started 2mins late but got round in 25mins according to my own timing.

Pretty pleased with that.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #1165 on: 03 January, 2014, 04:10:37 pm »
We need 6 in to score. Can I have 5 further volunteers? Team is yacf

I have joined, and although I'm not exactly sure how motivational it'll be, I've committed myself to 5 runs a week. Just you and me in the team at the moment, fboab.
I've joined - just the motivation I need.  Target is 3 runs a week.

I've just joined as well. I need something more than my willpower alone to make me go running so hopefully this will help.....

Am also aiming for 3 runs per week. Am I right in thinking distance/speed etc doesn't matter ???

« Reply #1166 on: 04 January, 2014, 10:49:33 am »
Am also aiming for 3 runs per week. Am I right in thinking distance/speed etc doesn't matter ???

Welcome aboard  :thumbsup: . Yes, for the first bit of the challenge, speed and distance aren't important: http://www.jantastic.me/rules/, I think you can go through the whole challenge without worrying too much about that.
Welcome Pippa, it's not been a while :)

If speed were important, audaxers like me wouldn't be interested.  Distance, on the other hand ...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1167 on: 04 January, 2014, 12:15:20 pm »
Out running again for the first time in ages!
Using the C25K week 4 as a training run, I ended up doing 4.6km in 35min 13 sec (including 5 min warm up / warm down at end).

Logged the run using endomondo!   :)

citoyen

« Reply #1168 on: 04 January, 2014, 12:25:20 pm »
Well done, BrianI - getting out there at all in current conditions is an achievement in itself.

One of my aims for 2014 is to do more parkrun tourism, riding to parkruns further afield - thought about riding to Gillingham for the Great Lines parkrun today but I was far too late getting out of bed. Nearly too late for the local one too, and was so late setting off that I had to drive to get there in time. But I'm glad I made the effort rather than staying in bed, which seemed by far the more appealing option at 8am. Lousy time today though. Oh well!

« Reply #1169 on: 04 January, 2014, 08:40:13 pm »
Am I right in thinking distance/speed etc doesn't matter ???
It better not!

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1170 on: 05 January, 2014, 02:10:18 pm »
Can I have 5 further volunteers? Team is yacf.

Done. 5 runs per week for me.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1171 on: 05 January, 2014, 04:36:24 pm »
Well done, BrianI - getting out there at all in current conditions is an achievement in itself.

Cheers cityoen.  Think I may have overdone it yesterday, very sair legs, which didn't help my 66km bike ride today.....

Will probably be starting my new job soon, so will have less time for cycling, but hopefully more time for running!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1172 on: 05 January, 2014, 05:09:26 pm »
Can I have 5 further volunteers? Team is yacf.

Done. 5 runs per week for me.

Me too. 6 runs/week. Aiming to build up for Steyning Stinger marathon on 2nd March. Did a 3hr/20mile run along the Grand Union canal towpath from Ealing this morning  :thumbsup:

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1173 on: 05 January, 2014, 06:10:32 pm »
This is cool - now when I listen to Marathon Talk I will actually know people doing Jantastic. Far more interesting than last year  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #1174 on: 08 January, 2014, 09:35:05 pm »
Presumably Swiss Hat is saving them up to log all at once at the end of the week?
As to the "leaders", well, you're only cheating yourself. /mum voice.