Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 425456 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #300 on: 23 February, 2010, 04:15:05 pm »
Not sure why you are so opposed to running downhill?

Challenges different muscles (quads especially) but running slightly downhill can be a really good way to work on good form, and is hard work as well!
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #301 on: 23 February, 2010, 04:15:44 pm »
OK, iPhone spirit level application used in anger for first time ever.

To be fair to the running machine I use it doesn't have degrees next to the incline, it's just an incline setting (but see below).

It goes up to 12 which, according to the spirit level app, was only 8o. (Intermediate incline settings matched proportionally.)

But, I think it does assume it is degrees because I remember it telling me I'd climbed 55m after my 30 minutes at 10.5kph at an incline setting of 1. (30mins at 10.5kph = 5.25km, plus a bit more for warm up and cool down, and 1% of that is ~55m).

So according to this at 1 degree Greenbank is ruining harder than the equivalent on (flat, smooth etc) road.

So a setting of 1 (which it thinks is 1o) is actually closer to 0.7o (8/12 = 0.6666...), combined with the fact that my footfalls are only about 1m apart (rather than nearer 2m apart on the actual belt) means that is more like 0.5o.

I should really be running at a setting of 2 (so 1.4o) which would be trimmed down to something under 1o of real climbing given 'short strides' and almost perfectly match where it should be on the table NikW posted to replicate the missing air resistance of running at ~6.5mph (10.5kph) which was somewhere between 0o and 1o of real incline.

This, of course, assumes that the chart hasn't already taken this into account.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #302 on: 23 February, 2010, 04:23:44 pm »
Anyone fancy a pint?

</Fast Show>
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #303 on: 23 February, 2010, 04:33:46 pm »
I like running; but running outside and running day dreaming... I have to admit to NOT doing any physics (mentally at least) when I run! I don't drinkl beer though...  :-[

(I do get terribly bored on a treadmill; the same on a turbo)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #304 on: 23 February, 2010, 04:35:28 pm »
Anyone fancy a pint?
</Fast Show>

No ta - think I'll just go for a run!
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

« Reply #305 on: 23 February, 2010, 04:38:03 pm »
I like running; but running outside and running day dreaming... I have to admit to NOT doing any physics (mentally at least) when I run! I don't drinkl beer though...  :-[

If I'm lacking in enthusiasm to run I just have to look at turbo and out come the running shoes  ;D

Nik

« Reply #306 on: 23 February, 2010, 04:39:58 pm »
I like running; but running outside and running day dreaming... I have to admit to NOT doing any physics (mentally at least) when I run! I don't drinkl beer though...  :-[

If I'm lacking in enthusiasm to run I just have to look at turbo and out come the running shoes  ;D

Yep. Even at night, in the wet, a good run with a Petzl and some music on does me good.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #307 on: 23 February, 2010, 05:59:33 pm »
my brane hurts
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #308 on: 23 February, 2010, 06:00:32 pm »
I can go into more detail if that is required?

;)

« Reply #309 on: 24 February, 2010, 02:18:34 pm »
my brane hurts

Must be the beer... <sorry!>  :P

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #310 on: 24 February, 2010, 08:25:00 pm »
Hardest bit for me with treadmills is keeping the brain from getting so bored it orders the rest of the body off the treadmill.  I did have my own (fairly powerful) treadmill for a couple of years and found it agonising to use, just charging along and going nowhere.  I'd far rather have the experience of the scenery moving past me, even if it's pitch dark and pouring with rain.  The only time I use them now is if I'm in some inner city hotel in a dodgy looking area.

The biggest downside for me is that there seems to be very little market for them second-hand.  After purchasing ours for about £700 several years ago, I struggled to sell it for more than a fraction of that.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #311 on: 24 February, 2010, 08:31:38 pm »
...  The only time I use them now is if I'm in some inner city hotel in a dodgy looking area.
+1
The biggest downside for me is that there seems to be very little market for them second-hand.  After purchasing ours for about £700 several years ago, I struggled to sell it for more than a fraction of that.
Gulp.

that's a lot of new running shoes (or bicycles!) and warm hats. I suspect decent rowers give a better return (but I've never looked into it properly - one for the other thread, probably ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #312 on: 24 February, 2010, 08:39:24 pm »
I hasten to add I didn't buy it for me, but after six months I was the only one who used it with any frequency...

« Reply #313 on: 27 February, 2010, 10:08:10 am »
So are any of you planning on running any events in 2010.  Having a few races planned is a good way of keeping the running on schedule but maybe that's where the cycling starts to become the cross training for the running (which it is for me) instead of the other way round.

I've got several events in the pipeline but my biggie for the year should be the Neolithic Marathon which took me just under 5 hrs as my 1st ever marathon last year and I hope to reduce to 4hrs 30m this year as my 2nd ever.

Nik

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #314 on: 27 February, 2010, 11:00:51 am »
Triathlons for me, at least until I'm satisfied my knee is fully recovered.  That Neolithic looks fun... but I'm sour on marathon distance now!  Offroad yes.  Offroad is a lot of fun.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #315 on: 27 February, 2010, 12:16:57 pm »
Hoping to do a few duathlons.  Should have done a club one today but couldn't get the car off the street with the snow   :(

Meant I had a fabulous run in deepish solid snow on local trails instead - felt great, slow running becos' of teh conditions but really felt lively and strong.
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #316 on: 27 February, 2010, 01:01:12 pm »
My grand target is an hour without the bad kind of pain - distance irrelevant!

If I reach this, and I can do 10k in that time, I might try an "official" 10k, as this is something N has considered (she'll whip my arse if we both enter). But I may have to accept that "distance" running is just beyond me these days, we'll see.

I'd love to do a mass-start marathon, but it's purely a dream at this stage.

(Might ride over to watch NikW suffer - I think it's on the way back from the BC400 ... hmmm ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #317 on: 27 February, 2010, 02:08:26 pm »
Build up to running in to work in under an hour (11km and almost completely flat).

May enter a half marathon in September (in Windsor) and I'd aim for sub 2-hours.

« Reply #318 on: 27 February, 2010, 03:46:31 pm »
(Might ride over to watch NikW suffer - I think it's on the way back from the BC400 ... hmmm ... )

I think I can guarantee a quality suffering spectacle anywhere after the 20 mile point  ;)

« Reply #319 on: 27 February, 2010, 03:56:08 pm »
My only ever multi-sport experience was The Boneshaker off-road duathlon which did what it says on the tin.  Might well be there again this year.

« Reply #320 on: 27 February, 2010, 04:08:42 pm »
So are any of you planning on running any events in 2010. 

I am number 2556 in the Milton Keynes Half Marathon next weekend. :o
I ran a 10k in about 50 minutes about 3 weeks ago. That was bad enough. I'll try and take things easier in the half marathon though. I only want to finish and am not to fussed about time. I'm not really used to running so I'm using this to get used to it rather than test myself, but I'll probably end up going too hard.
I want to build up to something more extreme by the end of the year. I like the idea of the 3 day event that Andy had a go at last year. That'd be a good thing to work up to. Only to finish though, just for the fun of it.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #321 on: 27 February, 2010, 09:38:38 pm »
I've just discovered that after 5 years of trying I've managed to get into the Ben Nevis race.  I last ran it nearly 20 years ago when of course I was younger, faster, lighter, and probably better looking.

I'm trying to devise a plan that will not leave me too embarrassed by my 20-years younger self.  I should mix in a bit more recumbent riding as well as all the running up and down hill, 'bent riding seems to help my hill running.  I was also considering the Loch Ness Marathon but the training might not be compatible with running the Ben.

« Reply #322 on: 28 February, 2010, 08:00:10 am »
I've just discovered that after 5 years of trying I've managed to get into the Ben Nevis race.  I last ran it nearly 20 years ago when of course I was younger, faster, lighter, and probably better looking.

I'm trying to devise a plan that will not leave me too embarrassed by my 20-years younger self.  I should mix in a bit more recumbent riding as well as all the running up and down hill, 'bent riding seems to help my hill running.  I was also considering the Loch Ness Marathon but the training might not be compatible with running the Ben.

Richard Asquith writes about the Ben Nevis Race in 'Feet in The Clouds'.  4400 foot of climbing followed by the same back down - sounds like rather hard work!  I wouldn't worry though, should be easier now as they've bound to of worn a few feet off the top over the last 2 decades  :thumbsup:

« Reply #323 on: 01 March, 2010, 02:18:39 pm »
My plan is to be fit enough to do some long sorties in the PD to do more of the runs on this list:
Home - Peak Trail Runner
I have done a few last year and really enjoyed myself, running typically 2.5 hours on those I did but as long at 3.5 hours on one run. Speed is not the issue over such terrain and length, but navigation, feeding and fun are the secret of the game.

I am retired form road racing "for good" I think. Too hard. I used to do halves in 79' to 84' 10 years ago. I did a local 5 Mi in 35' last year without specific training. Felt okay, but did I enjoy it? I am not sure.

« Reply #324 on: 01 March, 2010, 05:30:31 pm »
Only because I was breathing down your neck all the way round!