Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 399828 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #500 on: 19 September, 2010, 05:24:47 pm »
Last week was awful on the commute after that run - took until friday not to feel bruised. Despite that, I did it again this morning, but deliberately aimed for a steady 12kph average, and managed it. Spent the afternoon wandering around Anglesey Abbey looking for conkers, and the legs feel much better. Hopefully, they'll feel okay in the morning.

« Reply #501 on: 19 September, 2010, 06:51:13 pm »
10 miles here yesterday at a very, very gentle 10kph average, I really enjoyed it and am starting to find the equivalent of 'all day gentle ride pace' on my 2 feet.  Then 3 miles straight after a 50 mile bike ride this morning and it was just awful.. my legs felt worse than during a tri but I suppose it's got to help in the long term!!

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #502 on: 20 September, 2010, 03:26:20 pm »
I did about the same in distance yestreday. The schedule (above) hasn't quite worked out as I was saying due to me having to travel - but I did manage a couple of 13k runs and a 10k last week as well as some gym work (weights and rowing machine) and then did 16k in a gentle 1hr 20 yesterday - I guess that's 12kph. Felt fine afterwards and feel absolutely fine today. So the preparation is going well anyway! I'm going to do a couple of fast 10k's this week and some strength work, and then a final longer one (probably the same 16k) next weekend, before lowering the work rate in the week before the half marathon.

« Reply #503 on: 03 October, 2010, 03:19:04 pm »
Missed last weekends run, but did 10k in 47m05s this morning. I know the best 10k I did when I was at uni was 47m, so those 5 seconds deny me claiming a PB. It feels like I could go below 45m at some point, so I'll probably have that as a goal for next year. At the mo, I hold back until about 3/4s of the way round in case my legs go.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #504 on: 03 October, 2010, 10:09:55 pm »
Did the half marathon today. It was a cold day, with the wind in the wrong direction - the whole route was set up on the basis of a prevailing south-westerly but today it was from the east. Nevertheless, I was going well and on target for around 1.43, but something nasty happened deep inside my left thigh with about 5km to go and I limped home very painfully in about 1.48. There is nothing worse than feeling you are going backwards, as runner after runner overtakes you...

*update - actually,  I just checked the official times, and it was 1.46.16 and 85th out of 630, so not as bad as I thought (especially for my first ever competitive half). Still as painful, though.

« Reply #505 on: 04 October, 2010, 04:13:10 pm »
running is the weakest part of my triathlon by miles, and in the past it's been a good way to shift some of the lard, so to give me something to aim for I've just entered a half marathon in Norwich at the end of November. 

Managed 10k last night in a pretty comfy 58 minutes, so with five weeks to go should be on track for something better than 2 hours.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #506 on: 04 October, 2010, 04:36:56 pm »
Good luck, Mike. Sounds like 2 hours would be reasonable given where you are now.

My advice is simple to pace yourself, and if there are pacers provided in the race stick with the 2 hour one (the half I did had several guys wearing cardboard bunny ears which had the time they were pacing for written on them. I should have stuck with the 1.45 guy instead of thinking that I felt good enough to run a few minutes faster than that... which no doubt contributed to the injury I did myself).

Oh, and remember that running a half is not just two 10Ks: that extra 1-and-a-bit km at the end is an absolute killer.

« Reply #507 on: 10 October, 2010, 10:05:12 pm »
Today has been spent feeding my newly aquired garden incinerator. Didn't get the kids off to bed on time, so did my first run in the dark with a head torch. Lots of country lanes with no street lighting and it was a clear starry night. Just 7km (still got housework to do) but brilliant fun. Quite tempted by a Zebratorch now.

michael2u

« Reply #508 on: 11 October, 2010, 09:20:34 am »
I would like to tell my experience which is not so good about running but one thing is there to support me that I am a football player and running is basic necessity of the game. However, I haven't measured it in hours or in kilometers but still I run everyday to keep up my stamina. :)

« Reply #509 on: 24 October, 2010, 08:54:55 pm »
Just ran 13km with a neighbour. He's a bit slower than me, so I did all the talking. He's got an iphone with a piece of software call runkeeper. He set it for 50min 10km pace, and we stayed within 3 seconds of it throughout. Felt like I could have just kept going and going at that pace. Good fun.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #510 on: 01 November, 2010, 08:08:57 pm »
I keep forgetting that unlike bimbly jogging, forefoot-style running is advanced, by which I mean that if you stop doing it for a few weeks, it'll utterly spank you when you restart.

As Captain Restarto, of the Good Ship Lets-Try-That-Again, this bites. :facepalm:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #511 on: 01 November, 2010, 08:11:21 pm »
Do you think so Andy? I find I can run pretty slowly forefoot-stylee too!

[but then i haven't run far or quickly for years now, so YMMV ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #512 on: 01 November, 2010, 08:17:59 pm »
It's not the speed, it's the regularity of the activity!  (I'm slow, I'm slow like entropy!)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #513 on: 01 November, 2010, 08:48:27 pm »
I keep forgetting that unlike bimbly jogging, forefoot-style running is advanced, by which I mean that if you stop doing it for a few weeks, it'll utterly spank you when you restart.

As Captain Restarto, of the Good Ship Lets-Try-That-Again, this bites. :facepalm:

Tell me about it. I've hardly been out since that half-marathon. I can feel the fat accreting and many long slow months of hard training ahead to get back where I was just a few weeks ago...

« Reply #514 on: 07 November, 2010, 11:15:38 am »
just got an android phone and installed one of those pacing apps (cardio trainer). Previous 10k pb  was 47.05. Set it at 45min pace and ran a 44.24 without really trying that hard. Massive help getting continuous updates on projected time. It's free (paid option give extras plus integration with a livestrong alike calorie tracking app).

About - WorkSmart CardioTrainer

Unlike Runkeeper, the  voice prompt thing comes with the free version.

simonp

« Reply #515 on: 10 November, 2010, 12:05:02 am »
Tonight I was on the treadmill at the gym. Went up to 12kph for 10 minutes. 45 minutes and 7.12km in all. Race pace around 14kph to beat my PB next week.

simonp

« Reply #516 on: 14 November, 2010, 08:37:38 pm »
Ran 4 miles this afternoon in drizzle.  Wore too much clothes, overheated!

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #517 on: 15 November, 2010, 04:08:04 pm »
I'm back to 7k, three or four days a week... bit of a break from the freezing temperatures here too, so I have to take advantage while it lasts. Actually the temperature isn't the problem, it's when the sides of the roads are basically all black ice.

simonp

« Reply #518 on: 16 November, 2010, 03:46:33 pm »
Another half hour run this lunchtime. Going to try to beat my #camfunrun PB on Friday.

simonp

« Reply #519 on: 19 November, 2010, 01:12:38 pm »
Another half hour run this lunchtime. Going to try to beat my #camfunrun PB on Friday.

:thumbsup:

I timed my run as 6'50 for the 1.1 (1.13 by my reckoning) mile course.  I have done 7'01 on three of the previous five attempts.  Paced using GPS watch; averaged 6'02 per mile pace.  Now I have a new target for next year, averaging under a 6 minute mile.

Average HR was 182bpm.

:hand:

« Reply #520 on: 21 November, 2010, 09:29:17 am »
Went for a slowish run with my neighbour. 16km in 1m23s. Furthest I've run about 6 years - felt great.

Chris S

« Reply #521 on: 21 November, 2010, 09:35:30 am »
Went for a slowish run with my neighbour. 16km in 1m23s. Furthest I've run about 6 years - felt great.

:o

Well Done!  :D

« Reply #522 on: 21 November, 2010, 11:08:25 am »
Lol

Yeah, 1h23m.

simonp

« Reply #523 on: 21 November, 2010, 11:36:27 am »

Science Park Fun Run 2010 by simon.proven at Garmin Connect - Details  

Hr max of 193 from the 'fun' run.

Noone can say I wasn't trying.  ::-)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #524 on: 22 November, 2010, 04:44:41 pm »
Starting to get back into this. I tend to get to the gymn, set the treadmill to something that is probably desperately slow by the regular runners standards and the computer thingy to intervals where it does 2 mins flat, then 2 (or 4, or 6 depending on the options chosen)  at 3% gradient. Rinse lather repeat. Run for a bit. If I am feeling keen then I will up the pace by 0.1 every set. After about half an hour or 500 calories I am usually pretty tired.

Wednesday I might run in, then back via the hospital (ahich would be a rather longer run than I am used to.)
..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes