Author Topic: Neutering a dog - yes or no?  (Read 11972 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Neutering a dog - yes or no?
« on: 05 July, 2017, 03:50:45 pm »
We've been discussing recently whether or not to have the dog neutered/castrated/call it what you will. He's now nearly eight months old and starting to show signs of sexual maturity, with an occasional inclination to humping but not totally out of control... yet.

I've never owned a dog before so I'm not at all knowledgeable about the pros and cons of having it done. I'd rather not have him go through any medical procedure that isn't entirely necessary, and I'm also wary that it's not necessarily going to cure any behavioural problems and the onus is very much on us as owners to ensure he learns how to behave through proper training (much like children, really). My wife, on the other hand, just assumed it was something you do (unless you intend to show the dog, or breed, of course) and was surprised that I questioned it.

So, dog owners, is it something you have done as a matter of routine? Any reasons for or against?

We'll ask the vet's advice as well, of course. They have previously said that they don't always consider it necessary, so I'm reassured that they won't just do it without good reason.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: Neutering a dog - yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2017, 05:14:10 pm »
I wouldn't bother with a dog. Assuming you'll keep him under control.

I would with a bitch. They're vulnerable to other peoples' dogs' misbehaviour.

« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2017, 05:17:18 pm »
A question with a question “would you like it done”

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2017, 05:24:27 pm »
^ This......

Mr Yellowman gets to keep his balls, as I wouldn't want mine lopped off, thank you.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2017, 05:35:24 pm »
If you do cut a dog's balls off, does it get to sing in the cathedral or guard the sultan's harem?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2017, 05:43:45 pm »
A definite yes from me, makes him less distressed when a bitch is on heat and less inclined to hump things.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2017, 06:09:40 pm »
^ This......

Mr Yellowman gets to keep his balls, as I wouldn't want mine lopped off, thank you.

A bit of Anthropomorphism going on there. There is quite a difference between how a dog and a human would react to having their balls lopped off....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 05 July, 2017, 06:15:08 pm »
I'm pleased that http://www.neuticles.com/ still exists.  I could never work out if that site was real or not.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #8 on: 05 July, 2017, 07:09:10 pm »
I would, but then I'm believed to be the kind of feminist who would advocate for the removal of all testicles.

http://pets.webmd.com/reasons-spay-neuter-pet
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #9 on: 05 July, 2017, 07:20:09 pm »
Save yourself a lot of trouble and lop 'em off.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #10 on: 05 July, 2017, 07:37:01 pm »
Save yourself a lot of trouble and lop 'em off.
Yes, but what about the dog  ;D

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 05 July, 2017, 08:30:01 pm »
I think all pets should be neutered. Hormones are a very powerful thing, so what Auntie Helen says, plus probably more examples.
It's not just about sex: http://www.apbc.org.uk/articles/neuteringmaledogs
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #12 on: 05 July, 2017, 08:32:26 pm »
^ This......

A bit of Anthropomorphism going on there. There is quite a difference between how a dog and a human would react to having their balls lopped off....

Really, you have direct access to the thoughts of a dog or are you just guessing?

« Reply #13 on: 05 July, 2017, 08:46:57 pm »
I've never had a dog that indulged in the behaviours that neutering is supposed to 'cure'. But then I've not been afraid to be a strict owner, choke chains, smacks, and punishing bad behaviour which seems out of fashion in these days of fur babies.
Cats are different. I'd neuter both genders of cat as soon as they're old enough.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14 on: 05 July, 2017, 08:57:46 pm »
Just do it.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #15 on: 05 July, 2017, 09:01:44 pm »
Our dog when I was a kid got to keep his balls, my dad being sentimental about these things. And if there was a bitch on heat in the neighbourhood he'd be off.

This was in the days of smacking slapping spanking and hitting with a dog lead - for dogs as well.

Just do it.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #16 on: 05 July, 2017, 09:18:04 pm »
It's only ever acceptable if you are prepared to eat his balls after the castration.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #17 on: 05 July, 2017, 09:20:07 pm »
We didn't for Morphy. He's still got his 13-year-old bollocks. He has been no trouble at all with humping legs etc. and hardly any when out and about. He occasionally follows another dog, but that could be a bitch on heat/speyed bitch/ bollocked male/castrated male. He seems to have unpredictable tastes.

The only problem we had was one occasion when we wanted him looked after and the couple who were going to had a castrated male. For some reason, castrated males like to hump uncastrated males (or so I have been led to believe). This other dog wouldn't leave poor old Morph alone and in the end he didn't stay with them.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

« Reply #18 on: 05 July, 2017, 11:56:39 pm »
A bit of Anthropomorphism going on there.

Quite.

I saw an episode of 'It's Me Or The Dog' where the owner refused to have his dog castrated because he felt it was emasculating him personally. Mental. Fortunately, I can safely say that I'm not so weak-minded as to regard the dog as a proxy for my own sexuality/masculinity. I have a great deal of affection for him, but he remains very much a dog, not a child.

My only concern is that I don't want him to undergo any medical procedure that isn't necessary/justifiable. It's clearly not medically necessary, so the question is whether the difference it would make to his behaviour is enough of a justification. And from what I've read, it's by no means guaranteed to 'cure' any behavioural problems, so the responsibility remains with me to ensure he is well trained and kept under control whether he is neutered or not.

I'm mostly inclined towards fboab's way of thinking, although Auntie Helen and Mrs Pingu make some good points. Some useful food for thought, thanks. Will also discuss it with the vet, obviously.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #19 on: 06 July, 2017, 07:32:25 am »
You won't be able to sing 'Rocket Man' with your dog.
It is simpler than it looks.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #20 on: 06 July, 2017, 07:35:14 am »
I'm pleased that http://www.neuticles.com/ still exists.  I could never work out if that site was real or not.

Neuticles - not the dog's bollocks.  ;D
Jennifer - Walker of hills

citoyen

« Reply #21 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:22:17 am »

That's amazing.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #22 on: 06 July, 2017, 12:32:40 pm »
If you really have affection for your dog, you won't have his bollocks cut off in the vague hope that it will somehow make it behave as you want. If you can't train a dog properly without subjecting it to violence, then you shouldn't be the owner of a dog.

Perhaps a goldfish would be a better choice.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #23 on: 06 July, 2017, 12:36:22 pm »
Neutering a goldfgoldfish would be quite tricky, or at least fiddly,  I would imagine..
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 06 July, 2017, 01:24:59 pm »
I think fish testes are internal BICBW.