Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 407451 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #2300 on: 24 December, 2020, 06:44:10 pm »
Virgin twatting Media, how is it that you are perfectly willing to deliver Pinkstuffs into Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)'s inbox but won't let his e-mail account forward it anywhere to report it because it “contains spam content”?

You fucking halfwits.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2301 on: 06 January, 2021, 11:15:04 am »
Strava!  Fuck off.  And when you've done that, fuck off some more, take a lethal poison and die in a ditch.  The only reason I ever had an account with you was so's I could keep up with Teethgrinder's progress during his Year record attempts.  I have never entered a single iota of ride data into your system. and you have not e-mailed me once in the past Several of years.  Which is how I like it.  Now you suddenly e-mail me, address me as "Dear Mr" and want me to do a poxy survey.  And have your "reply-to" address set to no-reply@strava.com <== Here, spambots.  Yes, this address.  Fill that inbox with goat pr0n, fake anti-virus bollocks and offers of a share in $15.7 million if you'll do something illegal, immoral and fattening.

ian

« Reply #2302 on: 12 January, 2021, 03:46:24 pm »
It may be a terribly first world annoyance, but not being able to print while on the dashed VPN is really making me rather cross.

« Reply #2303 on: 12 January, 2021, 04:28:49 pm »
It may be a terribly first world annoyance, but not being able to print while on the dashed VPN is really making me rather cross.

That's the correct way to do a VPN so far as security goes. Other wise the enterprise is open to a man in the middle attack where your PC is the man in the middle.
A split tunnel where you can access your local LAN as well (and thus print)is often allowed as a compromise (still not brilliant but a reasonable trade of depending on how much risk you think there is). A full split tunnel where you can access the Internet and the VPN is a really bad idea!

Security is always a PITA.

I'm getting a Home Office laptop shortly for a new project, that should be a massive pain in the proverbial.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #2304 on: 12 January, 2021, 04:48:37 pm »
It's a damnable pestilence, that's what it is. Pretty much all of what we do now is via the web apart from one application (Jira, I look at you, and with withering scorn, foul beast) that requires me to fire up the VPN.

Anyway, I just have to save a PDF to a synchronized folder and then print it from another machine. Oh, the effort. It makes me want to write a strongly worded email to someone, it surely does.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2305 on: 12 January, 2021, 06:03:12 pm »
You're not thinking fourth-dimensionally.  What you need is another VPN, running over your VPN to tunnel back to your printer...   ;D

ian

« Reply #2306 on: 12 January, 2021, 06:25:43 pm »
It's one of those most vexatious days invigorated by exhortations from the less refined neighbourhoods of Anglo-Saxon vocabulary.

It is a rubbishy feature of modern life to accrete data of uncertain vintage, origin, and usage, but there's a compelling need to retain it. Data is like digital herpes, we all have it, and once you have it, you can't get rid of it.

But eventually, you have the great idea to create the back up to end all backups. A pantheon of sorts. A fact encouraged by the giddy capaciousness of modern storage. You can simply toss all that data in there and hear the echo. This takes time and effort.

But in the end, it's there, your backup of backups, your digital Pantheon. All is good. Whatever happens elsewhere, it's there, waiting just in case you find a use.

Until you get the error message midway through the process. Cannot copy whatever. Erm, OK, you had one job dear computer, and you failed. Error -1245585908500234834794809234279834285478347593482090754728. Oh that one.

This is probably a cryptic way of telling me that yes, the disk is fucked. Computers have a really hard time telling you this. OK, sometimes that's it, they just don't work. Other times, it's like the slow decline of a relationship. Bit by bit, things don't work, you find yourself arguing more, until finally one day, you realise it's over and she's taken everything. But I thought we could make it work, you'll yell.

First Aid isn't very helpful, your volume is fine, other than I can't unmount it, so it isn't fine. That's simply superhelpful.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2307 on: 12 January, 2021, 06:45:57 pm »
After approximately nineteen hours of fannying around I discovered that if ur file says

Code: [Select]
        texture:[0]

where it’s meant to say

Code: [Select]
        texture:[1]

then it will not work :facepalm:  Some kind of error message would be nice, chaps, instead of just crashing without so much as a farewell wave.

I managed to do this again today but at least fixing it took twenty seconds, most of which was spent in navigating to the offending files.

ian

« Reply #2308 on: 12 January, 2021, 08:16:31 pm »
And thusly it dies and goes to the big data dump in the sky, the ultimate trashcan. Bye-bye, useless piece of spinning rust.

« Reply #2309 on: 12 January, 2021, 08:43:02 pm »
Micro$oft - why did you remove Chrome from my mother's PC?
It's hard enough keeping her happy with the wretched thing without unnecessary changes.
And I can't reinstall it from here as I can't get the CoPilot helper program to load on her machine.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2310 on: 13 January, 2021, 02:27:26 am »
Aargh! Been trying for some time to persuade my Quest 2 VR headset (via the Oculus app) that the USB C socket on my desktop is actually acceptable as a USB3 link, but it won't have it. I have a couple of USB3-C adapters too, but it won't accept them either. The lead is the ridiculously expensive Oculus link, a fibreoptic USB C cable, so that isn't the problem, and the sockets are correctly routed to the 3.1/C busses on the motherboard, and are presenting the correct bandwidths at the sockets. Bloody stuff.

« Reply #2311 on: 13 January, 2021, 07:55:35 am »
You're not thinking fourth-dimensionally.  What you need is another VPN, running over your VPN to tunnel back to your printer...   ;D
I see a perfect opportunity to accidentally connect the other VPN to someone else's printer, for added hilarity.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

ian

« Reply #2312 on: 13 January, 2021, 09:27:25 am »
I see a perfect opportunity to accidentally connect the other VPN to someone else's printer, for added hilarity.

Splendidly, I can send it to any printer in the business. Beijing, Philadelphia, Bengaluru, Penang, Auckland, San Francisco, London, you name it. Even Chandler, Arizona.

None of this is especially useful at the moment.

« Reply #2313 on: 13 January, 2021, 09:52:42 am »
Our work printer system was much more like I'd expect printers to work.

Unless you want a printer that isn't in the system you don't print to a printer, you just print something to the generic "I wanted it printed".

You then go to a printer and dab your ID badge on a reader and then you select the thing you want from your queue.

Plenty of reasons for doing this, not least of which was to avoid stuff that is printed but never collected. Or confidential stuff that people print and then don't get to the printer quick enough (as it is a 50 yard walk with a couple of doors in the way) before someone else sees what they've printed expecting it to be their own. They could also dispense with the "cover sheet" for each and every printout.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2314 on: 13 January, 2021, 10:11:14 am »

Splendidly, I can send it to any printer in the business. Beijing, Philadelphia, Bengaluru, Penang, Auckland, San Francisco, London, you name it. Even Chandler, Arizona.

There's always the post.

« Reply #2315 on: 13 January, 2021, 10:23:58 am »

There's always the post.

ian

« Reply #2316 on: 13 January, 2021, 10:28:32 am »
We did use to have pigeonholes in the office for those. I never, ever checked mine, so who knows what treasures had been sent to me.

I'm always amused when we have these bi-weekly CEO/senior leadership question time and people ask questions like 'how do I print something?' or similar. I mean, seriously, I don't think he's personally attending to your IT support needs.

[Goes off to find the printer in the CEO's office.]

Ben T

« Reply #2317 on: 13 January, 2021, 02:20:15 pm »
Folders and sub-folders, grrr!  ::-) why the sodding hell are folders still necessary in today's day and age, where we have umpteen tools to filter and sort the files I'm interested in, and not only that but find files based on their contents?
I am moving to increasingly store all files in the root of C:\ , or ~/ on my mac, and on my own software projects I'm just storing all files in the one folder. There is literally zero point in storing them in folders based on their category.

« Reply #2318 on: 13 January, 2021, 02:37:57 pm »
Our work printer system was much more like I'd expect printers to work.

Unless you want a printer that isn't in the system you don't print to a printer, you just print something to the generic "I wanted it printed".

You then go to a printer and dab your ID badge on a reader and then you select the thing you want from your queue.

Yep, my last place had that, and we're getting it here. Very usefu.

When I was wfh over a cheapy VPN (the expensive one was reserved for higher-ups, we minions got Watchguard) during the first "lockdown", I was just able to add my home printer to the work laptop, and print away. Very useful.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2319 on: 13 January, 2021, 06:16:59 pm »
Folders and sub-folders, grrr!  ::-) why the sodding hell are folders still necessary in today's day and age, where we have umpteen tools to filter and sort the files I'm interested in, and not only that but find files based on their contents?
I am moving to increasingly store all files in the root of C:\ , or ~/ on my mac, and on my own software projects I'm just storing all files in the one folder. There is literally zero point in storing them in folders based on their category.

If I had the 20,000-odd files in my current project in a single folder
  • I'd never be able to find anything, and
  • I'd need ridiculously long file names to ensure uniqueness, and
  • It wouldn’t work

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2320 on: 13 January, 2021, 06:24:58 pm »
Makes sense.  Nothing in the history of humankind has ever gone horribly wrong due to storing files in the root of C:\

ian

« Reply #2321 on: 13 January, 2021, 06:38:05 pm »
I use a minimal folder structure. The spotlight search on a Mac is a beautiful thing.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2322 on: 13 January, 2021, 06:44:59 pm »
Separation of client data for contractual or legal reasons.

If you are a consultant using software like ours, then every project needs to be quite separate.

You can't have different client's confidential data files all mixed up in one big bucket.
The completed project folder is a deliverable, and may be re-visited in the future.
There's no way this is happening in C:\

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2323 on: 13 January, 2021, 07:15:16 pm »
Information management research in the 90s showed there's 2 main schools of thought:
Searchers
Folder filers

And forcing people to work in the way that isn't their natural one is annoying and not effective.

I'm a folder filer.

But my new work DO file in an annoying way which I'd not do and at some point I'm going to suggest is changed cos it makes finding stuff require a lookup to identify which folder they're in to start looking.

« Reply #2324 on: 14 January, 2021, 09:37:55 am »
I was a searcher[1] but compartmentalisation requirements (client confidentiality, HIPAA and GDPR) have converted me to a folder filer. Indeed, GDPR means the compartmentalisation is taken out of my hands and I can't even mix files from different customers if I wanted to (or I could, but it would mean jumping through massive hoops which would help remind me that it's verboten).

The good news is I've got the best of both worlds. I name things properly (which you need to do if you're a searcher as you can't find anything easily if it's not named uniquely or accurately) and they're filed properly (and not just in directories called z, zz, zzz, aaabb, zab, cust_logs, ...)

1. I'm in the process of recovering/consolidating/wiping a load of old hard drives and I'm seeing how I've progressed over the last 20 years...