Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2133976 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13375 on: 12 November, 2018, 11:23:20 am »
The rip over the pocket of my tattered and filthy dog-hugging knock-about-the-house-&-workshop trousers, the ones MrsT threatens with instant termination if she ever catches them unawares (e.g. in the wash).  I drew the lips of the wound together with staples on the inside and put a strip of duct tape over the outside. Both dogs have given their seal of approval.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13376 on: 13 November, 2018, 04:04:54 pm »
Changed back to the original stem and 26.0 dropped bars (silver this time) on the Moulton.  The oversize stem was a bit too short.  No-one makes an oversize silver stem in 130mm and 35 deg rise!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13377 on: 13 November, 2018, 04:29:33 pm »
Disappointed. Thought you might be fettling one from solid with a scroll saw and a bunch of riffler files. No stamina, some people...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13378 on: 13 November, 2018, 04:31:18 pm »
Disappointed. Thought you might be fettling one from solid with a scroll saw and a bunch of riffler files. No stamina, some people...
I am toying with the idea of de-anodising and polishing a black one.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #13379 on: 13 November, 2018, 04:40:42 pm »
Examining the Ergos, I think the r/h lever may need some attention beyond a squirt of WD40. . .
And I was right. Dismantled it, managing to avoid catastrophic spring explosions, to find that one of the small ratchet springs had broken. Replacement now on order.

Well, that wasn't too difficult, and quite satisfying for a fettler. Just hope it goes back together without problems.  More like clock-mending than your usual bike maintenance.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13380 on: 13 November, 2018, 05:04:40 pm »
I am toying with the idea of de-anodising and polishing a black one.

That's more like it!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #13381 on: 13 November, 2018, 11:13:31 pm »
Got the bike out to prep for ride tomorrow and found that it had a rear flat. Took into the house for full lighting. Tiny tiny sharks tooth bramble barb in tyre. Took me ages to find very small hole in tube. Ps tweezers are very handy members of tool box.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #13382 on: 14 November, 2018, 01:07:23 pm »
Ergo springy thing arrived in post today. Now fitted, and lever re-assembled. Seems to be clicking satisfactorily. Just need to fit it to bike for a minor fettling triumph  8)

« Reply #13383 on: 14 November, 2018, 08:33:29 pm »
Ergo springy thing arrived in post today. Now fitted, and lever re-assembled. Seems to be clicking satisfactorily. Just need to fit it to bike for a minor fettling triumph  8)
That's a very well deserved 8) !
Rust never sleeps

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #13384 on: 14 November, 2018, 09:01:31 pm »
This YouTube video was invaluable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OocYpHXJ3Y

I just froze the video at each critical point before proceeding. Mine was an older Ergo version than the one shown, but I guess they're all pretty similar.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13385 on: 14 November, 2018, 09:54:19 pm »
The new (and very cheap) silver Thomson Elite post turned up so I tried it for length in the TSR.  It's EXACTLY right (30 1/4" from seat top to BB centre) on the MAX line.  Phew.  Just need a shim now.  I have three options:

1. OEM shim with an extra 0.5mm shim around it (the slightly tight option)

2. 30.9 to 34.9 shim with an extra 0.5mm shim around it (the spot on option)

3. 31.6 to 30.9 shim inside the OEM shim (the slightly loose option)

I'll see which gives the best fit.

The seatpost slope had on there is nice enough but I have the saddle higher so there are some zigzags that show; also, the seat angle is slack enough that an inline post will work (saves weight) and a silver Elite is jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

« Reply #13386 on: 15 November, 2018, 09:49:32 pm »
After 9 years riding single speed on a vintage 5 speed steel frame, I finally found a way to fit 11 speed Shimano 105 derailleur on it, and a new pair of wheels plug fancy tyres. A whole new world of climbs is opening to me...

rogerzilla

« Reply #13387 on: 17 November, 2018, 06:12:06 am »
Put an almost NOS Dura-Ace rear mech on the Moulton.  It seems happy enough with the 30T sprocket although I can always get a longer B-tension screw if it chatters a bit during riding.

The "tight" sestpost shim combo is too tight, so need to try the other permutations.  The Thomson seatpost saves 144g  :o

rogerzilla

« Reply #13388 on: 17 November, 2018, 08:35:07 am »
Seatpost now perfect sliding fit with USE 30.9 to 34.9 shim and an extra shim around that made by rolling a 100mm square piece of 0.5mm aluminium sheet.  Therefore the TSR seat tube is actually 35.9mm without a shim.

The new shims are better than the OEM shim, being rather longer.  They happen to be flush with the bottom of the post, too.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #13389 on: 18 November, 2018, 06:30:10 pm »
Double fettle fail:

Lloyds card reader crapped out - various screen cells gave up until it was unreadable.  I hate throwing things away so  I checked there was no anti tamper mechanism in the battery compartment as some banks readers are tamper resistant.  Nothing visible so I ordered 12 new batteries, 4 for this reader, 4 for the other reader that lives in my laptop bag (almost as old) and 4 for 'ron.  Now the unreadable digits / random elements are much clearer.  Anyone want 12 x LR44?

Another hygrochron failed so I googled and found a guide to replacing the battery.  Rather than cutting the case open as in the guide I carefully stretched the peened over edge and with patience popped the lid off.  Having successfully completed the hard part I ordered three batteries, I have 14 'chrons around the house all the same age.  Tonight I fitted a new battery and confirmed good contact, 3.2 healthy volts on the pcb.  Carefully so as not to damage the insulator / seal I pushed the lid on and put it in the reader.  Nuffink.  Re-opened to check my work - twice.  Nuffink.  Anyone want 3 x CR1225?

Ho hum
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13390 on: 18 November, 2018, 06:34:41 pm »
Helped fix a puncture on a riding buddy's Trice. 406 Marathon Plus, removed with tyre levers, installed by hand with minimal fuss.

Look on my works thumbs ye mighty and despair.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13391 on: 19 November, 2018, 01:21:22 pm »
Added a frontal output jack to latest build so that I could lean it against something without taking the plug out.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13392 on: 27 November, 2018, 01:27:10 pm »
Put a hinged cover over the off-switch of my table saw so that I can operate it with my knee.  The way Bosch have it, in order to reach it you have to let go of the workpiece and bend down with your eye at the level of the table-top, just right for anything kicked back to penetrate.

« Reply #13393 on: 09 December, 2018, 07:05:47 pm »
5 sets of skis anna snoboard

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #13394 on: 09 December, 2018, 07:13:29 pm »
Bin bins.  ;D HT to Cudzoziemiec

But are they littleendian or bigendian?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #13395 on: 09 December, 2018, 09:02:19 pm »
Humpert trekking bars and a very short & steep stem on the Kona CalderaShopper as Mrs Marco has some swimming injuries in her right arm & wants to sit up a bit more. Bit like On One's Mary bars but a little higher. Avid BB7s also bought to replace terminally squealy Hayes 9s on same (will need more time for that).

While I was there, 28mm Conti SportContact 2s for the Pompino, plus one tooth down on the rear (wheel turned round) to compensate for the reduced rolling resistance over cracked old Top Touring tyres, and 150g saving per tyre. I now expect fen headwinds of epic proportions, in the usual manner.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13396 on: 11 December, 2018, 07:53:31 pm »
One of those Swedish brass decorations with candles, a turbine and spinning angels ringing bells.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13397 on: 11 December, 2018, 08:03:15 pm »
One of those Swedish brass decorations with candles, a turbine and spinning angels ringing bells.
We had one when I was young. Stare at it hard enough and it will appear to change direction.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

« Reply #13398 on: 11 December, 2018, 09:07:03 pm »
If I stared for long enough, I was hoping for Agnetha from Abba (40 years ago) to appear through the heat haze and ask, "Voulez-vous?".

rogerzilla

« Reply #13399 on: 15 December, 2018, 08:55:38 am »
I installed Linux Mint on the ageing laptop, because ICBA to go through the nightmare of reinstalling Windows 7 to freshen it up.  And I despise Windows 8 and 10.