Author Topic: Women's Football World Cup  (Read 8277 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Women's Football World Cup
« on: 20 July, 2023, 07:01:01 pm »
Started today.

Crikey!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Women's Football World Cup
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2023, 07:55:48 pm »
Sadly, what with the kick-off times, I'm going to miss a lot of the games  :(
Garry Broad

« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2023, 07:15:51 pm »
fresh blood knows no fear
say..........nice goal!
Garry Broad

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2023, 06:40:55 pm »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2023, 07:10:26 pm »
Well! Nobody likes to see that happen... ;)

« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2023, 08:28:33 pm »
Well....don't think the Swedish keeper will need to pay for her drinks for a while, cracking performance...and out go the holders!
Japanese looking good.
And we're on the right side of the draw [not always a good thing :)]
Nigeria tomorrow morning.
Garry Broad

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2023, 08:38:04 pm »
Indeed! She was magnificent. I’m a bit sorry that the USA have gone in some ways: they have been inspirational for a long while and Megan Rapinoe really got under Donald Trump's skin peel when she said "We're not fuckin' going' to the White House!"

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2023, 11:05:14 pm »
Not to mention riling colossal bellend Piers “Morgan” Moron so much that he actually called them “arrogant”.

Pot, kettle…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8 on: 07 August, 2023, 06:56:02 am »
Indeed! She was magnificent. I’m a bit sorry that the USA have gone in some ways: they have been inspirational for a long while and Megan Rapinoe really got under Donald Trump's skin peel when she said "We're not fuckin' going' to the White House!"

lol....I wasn't aware of that!
Good job he's not in power at the moment [hopefully never for gods sake]  - he would probably return a version of the same compliment!

The history of womens Association Football soccer in the USA is interesting. With blokes dominating all the other major sports, they've really grabbed it with both hands with an attitude of, 'hands off we'll have this one', and even though there was nothing in the way of a womens league, the college sports scene in the USA is very strong so they had a kind of support system to tap into from the outset [bit of a simplification of history of course].
Domination of skill is always motivation of others to get their act together and match the standard, and if you look at how quickly the womens game has developed over recent years it's amazing really. The size of this World Cup is testament to that fact. The word inspirational is fitting definitely.
Garry Broad

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 07 August, 2023, 04:57:02 pm »
James - Alozie ouch! Seems like both teams were rather good though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 07 August, 2023, 05:15:19 pm »
I think the Lionesses were lucky there. The penalties were good, but there were heart in mouth moments during normal and extra time.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #11 on: 07 August, 2023, 08:46:48 pm »
I see Wiegman the England coach says that James let her emotions get the better of her when she stood on the Nigerian.  Then without pausing for breath she said, "But it wasn't intentional."  That's not only patently a lie, it's also depressing when managers start talking like male managers have talked since I don't know when. 

« Reply #12 on: 08 August, 2023, 07:45:08 am »
I see Wiegman the England coach says that James let her emotions get the better of her when she stood on the Nigerian.  Then without pausing for breath she said, "But it wasn't intentional."  That's not only patently a lie, it's also depressing when managers start talking like male managers have talked since I don't know when.

Must admit I don't see Wiegman in that light at all.....

She also said in that interview, "It's a huge lesson for her to learn".....

In no way is she insinuating that James should not have been sent off or anything like that, or justifying what she did. I think what she's trying to say is the intent to hurt was not really behind the incident, it's a momentary loss of control from an inexperienced player. If you want to hurt somebody then there are far more discreet, premeditated and damaging ways to do it in a game than what James did.

I can't see the point of a manger or team mates then subsequently piling on the condemnation when the lesson for James is blatantly obvious and the punishment immediate - and could, be even worse subject to a review.

It's been compared to Beckham's petulant outburst against Simeone in France 1998. They are very similar really. Immature outbursts that let both yourself and your team mates down. If she doesn't realize that now, she will when she's sitting on the bench for the next game.
Garry Broad

« Reply #13 on: 08 August, 2023, 10:54:03 am »
Well, she could have said, "...no intention TO HURT".  She may well have meant that.  But since she didn't say it, we are left with the possibility that she meant, "...no intention TO STAND ON HER."  That seems almost impossible as she knew she was there.  She wasn't sent off for hurting the player but for standing on her.  As for inexperience at 21 - she has been playing for at least 10 years.  The rules have always been the same in that time, so that one won't flay.  But "emotion", yes.

Further, m'lud, I would submit that at no time did I suggest that managers should pile on condemnation.  I agree with you over that, at least in public (in private, the hair-dryer may be applied!).  I hope she will be supported (and that she isn't a member here!) because what happened to Beckham was appalling.

I was really disappointed but that's possibly because she seems to be a very special player and now England will deprived of her for at least one match - and probably more.  All because she was stupid - not inexperienced.   Oh girl*, she's got some experience now, all right - I hope she can cope.

*  Chi-lites refer(s).

« Reply #14 on: 08 August, 2023, 07:06:03 pm »
Well, she could have said, "...no intention TO HURT".  She may well have meant that.  But since she didn't say it,

Actually she did, she said actually that - at least according to the report on BBC Sport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66427469

Weigman most likely gave several interviews to various outlets after the game. I must admit to not seeing or hearing any of them - I had to get back to work.
I'm trusting they're quoting her correctly here.

Nigeria would have done their homework on James [young, talented and somebody to nullify], and player to player marking, as opposed to zonal marking made possession very difficult. Good tactics by the Nigerians of course, and their game plan was simple - don't give the English players man inch to play. James is an accomplished footballer of course, and like Beckham of the same age, experienced at playing the game, reaching the highest possible standard of club football - but not at international level. It's the same game, but it's the same game in a different environment. Where there words spoken during the game? Maybe. The odd kick and shove off the ball, gamesmanship and all that. Possibly. Some players are better at handling those kind of frustrating environments than others. All it takes is a split second rush of blood and you're in trouble. And you learn. It's all down to experience. 
Garry Broad

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15 on: 08 August, 2023, 08:02:52 pm »
It should perhaps be noted that Wiegman's native tongue isn’t English, no matter how well she speaks it 99% of the time.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #16 on: 08 August, 2023, 09:41:10 pm »
Well, she could have said, "...no intention TO HURT".  She may well have meant that.  But since she didn't say it,

Actually she did, she said actually that - at least according to the report on BBC Sport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66427469

Weigman most likely gave several interviews to various outlets after the game. I must admit to not seeing or hearing any of them - I had to get back to work.
I'm trusting they're quoting her correctly here.

Nigeria would have done their homework on James [young, talented and somebody to nullify], and player to player marking, as opposed to zonal marking made possession very difficult. Good tactics by the Nigerians of course, and their game plan was simple - don't give the English players man inch to play. James is an accomplished footballer of course, and like Beckham of the same age, experienced at playing the game, reaching the highest possible standard of club football - but not at international level. It's the same game, but it's the same game in a different environment. Where there words spoken during the game? Maybe. The odd kick and shove off the ball, gamesmanship and all that. Possibly. Some players are better at handling those kind of frustrating environments than others. All it takes is a split second rush of blood and you're in trouble. And you learn. It's all down to experience.

Yes, probably several interviews.  The first report I saw on the BBC news page (which was very early) reported only that she'd said what I said.  I am not imagining that.  But I am showing a lamentable lack of learning experience, as the first words the BBC prints are frequently by a cub reporter!  I should be more patient!  Anyway, it doesn't matter in the great scheme of things.

« Reply #17 on: 10 August, 2023, 07:06:50 pm »
Anyway, it doesn't matter in the great scheme of things.

No, quite.

I see that James has been banned for another game on top of the original one match ban for the red card.
Considering the authorities could have extended it for a further two, they've pretty much decided to go down the middle.

Colombia on Saturday.
I'll actually be able to watch this one from the position of an armchair as opposed to watching it on a phone while tiling a floor!
[Surprisingly, the floor came out real good].
Garry Broad

« Reply #18 on: 10 August, 2023, 10:00:57 pm »
 ;D

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #19 on: 12 August, 2023, 12:19:48 pm »
Crikey, that was a good goal.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #20 on: 12 August, 2023, 12:25:29 pm »
Thankfully followed by
Crikey, that was poor goal keeping.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #21 on: 12 August, 2023, 12:58:38 pm »
Crikey that was alert.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #22 on: 12 August, 2023, 01:54:20 pm »
Crikey that was alert.

Be alert. Your country needs lerts.

« Reply #23 on: 12 August, 2023, 07:06:26 pm »
I thought they responded really well after going a goal down - lots of pressure, which contributed to getting the equalizer.
Considering the injuries coming into the tournament and current suspension, they did really well - some excellent performances, Lauren Hemp for one.

So Australia next......in Australia.
Not much stadium-quietude will be in evidence there then!
Garry Broad

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #24 on: 13 August, 2023, 03:26:45 pm »
It’s great, looking forward to having a semi.