Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 254159 times)

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #850 on: 21 June, 2018, 06:01:34 pm »
New perm details for Meridian Hills

http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/MM04/

and Around Weald Expedition

http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/JJ02/

I notified Billy a couple of days ago that I'll be riding Monday. Is it yourself I semd receipts too, or Billy still?

Cheers, James

me thanks. I've modified the Meridian route sheet a bit to avoid the actual Devils Dyke road in favour of Saddlescombe and also go via Withyham and Hurstpierpoint * as well as Star Hill (optional) at the top end , updated gpx to follow

(* and Newtimber if you don't mind 100m of fairly muddy bridleway; not too bad in summer)

Excellent. I shall have a peruse later on this evening.

Are we still able to ride either direction?
Rule 77

Martin

« Reply #851 on: 21 June, 2018, 11:26:40 pm »

yes of course; If Hubbards (Crowborough) Toys and Barsted that way round float your  boat. Did it once never again!

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #852 on: 22 June, 2018, 11:39:20 am »

yes of course; If Hubbards (Crowborough) Toys and Barsted that way round float your  boat. Did it once never again!

I've done it once too and the "wrong" way round definitely felt like the harder way round. I put it down to an off day and a bad wind though.

We'll find out on Monday......maybe.
Rule 77

Martin

« Reply #853 on: 27 June, 2018, 10:12:14 pm »
there's another rare calendar version of AAA Milne next month, same price as the perm with a hot dog thrown in (and maybe an ice cream  :P)

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-211/
In. Done this ride as the perm, it's really good, nice quiet lanes, good views etc. Can't believe there's a hot dog included in what must be the cheapest audax I ever entered since El Supremo and his Tea Bag Special at £1.
More power to your elbow, Martin. (From the other Martin)

AAA Milne entries healthy and they may close early. Not sure what the form is with this as it's still slated to close the night before.

The first riders thru Pooh car park will get the super jumbo rather than the normal jumbo hot dogs; they appear to have been discontinued so there are only 16 left in Ye Shedde

and Soleros (or the Tesco version|) too ;P

« Reply #854 on: 28 June, 2018, 11:01:52 pm »
I’m looking forward to the AAA Milne, it’s been far too long since I’ve done one of your rides (or indeed any Audax).

Martin

« Reply #855 on: 08 July, 2018, 04:11:08 pm »
A good turnout for AAA Milne yesterday; thanks to everyone for supporting and even travelling some distance to the event. Pooh's balloon in the car park spontaneously exploded but Pooh himself found a good home with some of the global travellers to this lovely spot (note to self, do a recce of the route to the Pooh sticks bridge and other related places next time so I can provide tourist info)

https://suitcasesandsandcastles.com/2017/03/28/find-winnie-pooh-ashdown-forest/

A good atmosphere at the finish, thanks for your patience (mainly in getting served at the bar due to another minority sporting event!)

chapeau to the rider who ECE'd to 300 :-O

« Reply #856 on: 09 July, 2018, 01:57:16 pm »

chapeau to the rider who ECE'd to 300 :-O

Everything was fine up to about 230km then the afternoon heat really started to affect me! Lost count of how many times I stopped to buy more water in the 30 degrees heat....just poured some of it over my head to try and cool down. Disappointed that there was more traffic on the road on the way back to London than anticipated.....it seems that the whole nation isn't actually watching Southgate's Soccer Stars after all!

Great event, and really enjoyed it again!

« Reply #857 on: 16 July, 2018, 04:37:31 pm »
I'm what you might call "Grimpeur-curious" and, if the new cassette turns up in time, intend to have a crack at the AAA Milne as a DIY in September. I may even try it with the gearing as is. It has got me up Duncton, the north side, with a gear to spare after 80km and Ditchling too, in recent weeks, but the idea of trying 100km in the Surrey Hills, local to me on 36 x 28 makes my knees knock.

You may find my corpse by the side of a hillside road as a result but all good practise for next season I reckon.

But can someone give me a summary of what the "Grimpeurs du Sud is about"? Googling seems to lead to various dead-ends.

« Reply #858 on: 16 July, 2018, 07:44:28 pm »
But can someone give me a summary of what the "Grimpeurs du Sud is about"? Googling seems to lead to various dead-ends.

This'll help, all you ever wanted to know: https://sites.google.com/site/grimpeursdusud/

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Martin

« Reply #859 on: 16 July, 2018, 10:24:27 pm »
No need to DIY AAA Milne and please don't it's available as a proper perm all year round. Details in psyclist's link  :)
And a lot more challenging at times, like when the Ouse is in flood and you have to use the walkways or even a tree trunk I kid you not

« Reply #860 on: 17 July, 2018, 11:05:00 am »
No need to DIY AAA Milne and please don't it's available as a proper perm all year round. Details in psyclist's link  :)
And a lot more challenging at times, like when the Ouse is in flood and you have to use the walkways or even a tree trunk I kid you not
I'm a klutz - I meant as a perm not a DIY, sorry.

« Reply #861 on: 17 July, 2018, 11:27:17 am »

This'll help, all you ever wanted to know: https://sites.google.com/site/grimpeursdusud/
Work seems to have took agin that site. Smartphone to the rescue. Sounds like a fun challenge as, obviously, as a 100+ kg lard arse ex-rugby player I love climbing.

« Reply #862 on: 17 July, 2018, 12:11:06 pm »
Sounds like a fun challenge

Be careful, it'll suck you in. I was looking at the list of riders late last year, and noticed the letters after some of riders' names. I'm now on track to get the Grimpeur d'Or, SR, and GdSRTY.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #863 on: 17 July, 2018, 05:54:08 pm »
August, September, October, November, December ....

Is that a plan I see before me?

Assume I can do the same ride more than once if I fancy or do it twice in opposite directions?

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #864 on: 17 July, 2018, 06:20:52 pm »
I recomend Tour of the Hills in August, and Rowlands RAAAMBLe (or Greenwhich Mean Climb if you feel brave) in September. I think AAAnfractuous in October qualifies too.

All calendars, so there will be people for encouragement/distraction.

Rule 77

Martin

« Reply #865 on: 17 July, 2018, 09:16:59 pm »

Assume I can do the same ride more than once if I fancy or do it twice in opposite directions?
Yes of course, there are a few generic GdS out there (same ride 5 times)

All those above count. Plus any you wish to DIY.

Even LEL, now who wants to be first to do it as a DIY? ;)

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #866 on: 18 July, 2018, 09:19:19 am »
Even LEL, now who wants to be first to do it as a DIY? ;)

It's been done  :o
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Martin

« Reply #867 on: 24 July, 2018, 10:24:18 am »
Mid Sussex Hillier

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-228/

and Hilly

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-434/

now open for entries. Hilly entrants (only) are allowed to walk Cob Lane  ;). Note the Hilly has now reverted permanently to the 2004 route avoiding the Ashdown Forest summit as there are now plenty of other opportunities to traverse this bit

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #868 on: 24 July, 2018, 10:31:37 am »
Hey, Grumps, the GdS series is about as flexible as you could wish. And the distance means you can do it in winter without freezing to death in the cold dark night. So it's ideal for an AAA-RRTY.

(See you on Friday night.)
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #869 on: 24 July, 2018, 10:38:46 am »
Please note; owing to a general downgrade of AAA in the SE I cannot guarantee that the IOW Round the Island ride (held as a non AUK calendar event on the first May Bank Holiday Sunday and available all year round otherwise) is still eligible for AAA as a DIY by GPS; it is however still a discretionary counting ride towards the GdS (only once a year)

http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/

« Reply #870 on: 25 July, 2018, 01:50:24 pm »
Please note; owing to a general downgrade of AAA in the SE I cannot guarantee that the IOW Round the Island ride (held as a non AUK calendar event on the first May Bank Holiday Sunday and available all year round otherwise) is still eligible for AAA as a DIY by GPS; it is however still a discretionary counting ride towards the GdS (only once a year)

http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/
Isostatic Recovery affecting the steepness of the climbs?

PS Thanks for dropping the AAA Milne Permie Brevet through the door.

« Reply #871 on: 25 July, 2018, 01:56:11 pm »
Hey, Grumps, the GdS series is about as flexible as you could wish. And the distance means you can do it in winter without freezing to death in the cold dark night. So it's ideal for an AAA-RRTY.

(See you on Friday night.)
and an opportunity for a spot of pre-loved n+1.  For 200km hilly rides I want something with slacker gearing than compact+10-speed campag the best bike has. All the clever bits SJS have to address that are not in stock, don't really want to do said rides on "The Tank" and have folk point adn laugh at my triple*, when, hey presto, look what bargain pops up on bookface!

*I know they won't but avoidance of derision is a key driver for me, except in matters of belly size and comedy facial hair.

Martin

« Reply #872 on: 18 August, 2018, 07:06:00 pm »
I'm pleased to confirm that Down to Downs the first ever GdS perm will make another calendar appearance (the right way round, it ran in reverse in 2006) next May; Uckfield start lunch stop somewhere inside the M25

watch this space...

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #873 on: 18 August, 2018, 07:40:16 pm »
I'm excited about this. Fits perfectly my ride to every ride next season goal and has massive ECE potential for 3 points AND bonus AAA.

I've got a perm card in my drawer from last season that I never got round to riding before this season ( my stupid 100 BR(M) only AAA mission ), but I've ridden it a couple of times with Green St Green and Edenbridge.

Just gotta be on a sunday......
Rule 77

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #874 on: 18 August, 2018, 11:02:03 pm »
I'll be seeing some of you for some trundles up them hills tomorrow.

No teasing of my easygoing pace please !
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.