Author Topic: homebrew?  (Read 64319 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: homebrew?
« Reply #250 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:18:47 pm »
Nothing brewing here, I tried one of my barley wine yesterday, mellowed very well since bottling. Now nice and rich and raising. The hops are still there but less harsh
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #251 on: 03 March, 2018, 07:12:40 pm »
Called in at the homebrew shop earlier to get what I needed for a batch of Coopers Saison. Hoping to get that on the go tomorrow...

...and it's already bubbling away nicely. OG of 1063, so should be quite lively.

Now down to 1008, so 7.2% abv. Tastes good too - I used loads of Saaz hops so it has a nice spicy flavour. Not as funky as I like my saisons, probably could have had the fermenting temperature higher.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #252 on: 04 March, 2018, 12:58:48 pm »
Set a couple of Turbo Ciders away this morning. 3.5l* of apple juice, 0.5l cranberry, cup of tea (4 bags), yeast**, nutrient.

*2l now, 1.5l added in a few days.

** 2 Different yeasts - Gervin and Harris cider yeasts

Set another couple away - 2.5l of apple juice, 0.5l of blueberry juice, cup of tea (4 bags, gives me about 200ml), Harris cider yeast and nutrient. I'll add another 1/1.25l of apple juice in a couple of days.

I've got a Brewferm Diabolo to go in the big bucket, last one turned out very nice.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #253 on: 12 March, 2018, 06:43:57 pm »
Did you take a Final Gravity reading ? If yes, what was it ? (ie: VSOF being no longer visible does not mean that the beer is ready...)
Brew lives in the FV for two weeks and the fermenting is well and truly over. I can't remember the numbers but both about 1005-7 and started above or near 1050.

What was your fermentation temp? (Too low can lean to sluggish fermentation or stuck fermentation, meaning there is still unfermented sugar in the beer)

Were there any changes in temp ? (Yeast do not like swings in temp. If it drops quickly by only a few degrees you can shock the yeast)

Dunno, I know the start temp (about 22-26c) was good and then the temp slowly drops over the week to about 18c. Come second week it did get a wee bit nippy (16c) as I do not have heater or anyway to control heat. This system has worked fine for about 15 brews.

How clean are your bottles? (do you do separate cleaning / sanitisation soaks?)

10 Empty bottle into a glass, rinse dregs out, squirt in some starsan, store, drink content in before mentioned glass
20 GOTO 10 if not have had enough
30 WHILE 10 (always drink while brewing) take out of storage dunk into a pot of VWP, rinse in clean water, squirt starsan, fill with new beer
40 GOTO 10

When is the last time you replaced all of your hoses / filling equipment that touches beer ?
Just got a new valve from Coopers when I wore out the old one. Rest still the same.

The fun part is the brew afterwards other than being a bit tame in taste (20g Cascade didn't have enough oomph in the flavour department as I had hoped, but hey it was a leftover brew) they are behaving well.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ElyDave

« Reply #254 on: 21 April, 2018, 04:30:47 pm »
My barley wine has also ended up a bit gassy, with one bottle frothing over about three seconds after I opened it.  With no glss to hand, the only vessel available was my mouth. Never mind.

This was did actually have a bit higher FG than planned, but was stable when I bottled it. I put it in smaller bottles than usual, just 330ml vs the usual 500ml so may have overdone the priming sugar.

I had planned to do a batch in March, but have had no chance to even order ingredients.  I fancy making a single hop pale ale, targetting about 4-4.5%, nothing too strong but well hopped, maybe with a touch of star anise and raspberry.

ElyDave

« Reply #255 on: 25 May, 2018, 09:09:58 am »
Rhubarb wine started - extracting the juice under sugar

Planning to brew my rhubarb beer this weekend as well, I had kept a sample of yeast in the fridge from the trub of my last batch made with an English ale yeast and bramling cross hops which turned out nice and fruity.  I threw in a bit of sugar and put it on the windowsill and it appears to be reactivating nicely  :thumbsup:

ElyDave

« Reply #256 on: 06 July, 2019, 04:29:10 pm »
It's rhubarb wine time again.

This year will be rhubarb and rosehip as i found a bag of dried rosehips when I rearranged my office this week.  Dry extract method started on the rhubarb, 2lb of it with 1kg of sugar.

Will leave that a couple of days and add the juices to some hot-water-extracted dried rosehip juices with more sugar.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #257 on: 31 May, 2021, 09:00:02 pm »
Started a Simply IPA 10 days ago with the called for kilo of beer enhancer and 900g of extra sugar (1054 starting sg).  Tonight it's blurping was down to ~8 seconds so a reading was taken, 1013. Out of the freezer came 2 small vacuum packs of hops from the vine just outside my window, 2019 crop.  Oh boy the smell was simply wonderful!
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

SoreTween

« Reply #258 on: 05 June, 2021, 08:40:15 am »
IPA bottled :-) A day later than ideal, fg 1006 is a bit low but should give 5.4% all being well.

UKbrew dark ale started using up 2 very old bags of spray malt and 750g extra sugar (1042 ig).

SoreTween

« Reply #259 on: 09 June, 2021, 09:15:03 pm »
Dark ale bottled, seems it comes with turbo yeast.  Not hopeful of this one, it was fizzy out of the fermenting bin & seemed very sticky as if not fermented.  When the yeast got going the airlock was a constant stream of bubbles not the usual bloop........  bloooop.  Then after 2 days of that it virtually stopped (1011) & took two more days to get to 1009.  5.4% estimated.

Mk2 version of my legendary Coffee Stout started.  I didn't want to put the lid on it, I could have stood there inhaling the aroma all night. 
1x Simply Stout kit.
Whisk into warm water:
  2x 500g Extra dark spray malt
  1x 500g Dark soft brown sugar
  50g Azera Americano
Make up to 23ltr.  1044 ig.

Bonus of the silly fast dark ale fermentation is I should be able to get a 4th brew done this trip home :-)  I've never done chain brewing like this before and I've never done a mild....

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #260 on: 09 June, 2021, 09:38:29 pm »
This weekend I'm going to try to "bottle" in these mini kegs, you get get in the super market full with beer. Got three 5 litres ready, then the rest of the 25 litres brew goes into bottles.

If it goes well I hope to go to full "keg" as it is so much less to clean and bottle every time.

SoreTween

« Reply #261 on: 09 June, 2021, 10:46:43 pm »
Interesting, I've not seen those, which supermarket?
I keep being tempted by corny kegs. A colleague at my last job swore by them & claimed he'd successfully kept a half empty keg over 6 months in his navy days. Anyone tried it?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #262 on: 10 June, 2021, 07:32:13 am »
I think you can get them from all supermarkets, here's one from a local brewery - https://shop.ilkleybrewery.co.uk/collections/mini-cask-beers/products/blonde-mini-cask

I know a fair few who brew with kegs. I haven't had the dosh to keg. So that's why I go the cheap way :)

Proper stainless kegs can handle the pressure therefore you can make sure no air comes into them so you can get a brew to last. The cheep kegs can't handle the pressure and needs to be drunk in a session or over a weekend.

SoreTween

« Reply #263 on: 10 June, 2021, 08:19:12 am »
Ah thanks.  I have seen those but had no idea they could be reused.

I have quite some investment in bottles so I'll probably stick with them for a few more years despite the faff.  I started collecting 550ml 6x bottles in 1997 and got 80 matching before they changed the design.  When I moved in 2012 & had more space available I started collecting 500ml Moorland (sixty something) & Wychwood (77).  Once I get 80 I'll stop, that's 6 full brews I can store which I intend to achieve by October.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #264 on: 10 June, 2021, 09:24:39 am »
I had a tidy out of the garage yesterday and found some home brew bottles that pre date my son who will be 23 in September.

We last had some of this maybe 8-10 years ago, it was a pretty powerful brown beer made from a syrup based arrangement and I added molasses and cloves with the aim of creating a winter ale.  May try some later - looks like they have a serious sediment now though. 

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #265 on: 10 June, 2021, 01:55:46 pm »
Here I was, thinking that's an old bottle, when I found one that's 12 month old :)

SoreTween

« Reply #266 on: 27 June, 2021, 12:35:54 pm »
The stout got bottled after 9 days.  The gravity had dropped to 1012 in 4 days, it was sitting in the 22-24deg range despite my best efforts at cooling with wet towels etc.  In a further 5 days it barely moved, fg 1011-12 ish so 4.4% estimated.

I've had enough of this uncontrollability lark so I've upgraded my brew bucket to one with a cooling loop.  A few years ago I had temperature problems brewing in winter so got a heat pad & later an Inkbird (crimbo present).  Now I can cool too, a sink full of cold water & a £1 submersible pump does the job.

First go at a mild has been delayed, Mrs Tween asked me to do another IPA & flavour it with elderflower which is blooming at the moment.  A Wilko First Gold IPA is sitting at 20deg blooping away at a much more sensible rate, I'll do a steep of the flowers around day 4 or 5. ig 1044.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #267 on: 20 November, 2021, 07:44:34 pm »

Mk2 version of my legendary Coffee Stout started.  I didn't want to put the lid on it, I could have stood there inhaling the aroma all night. 
1x Simply Stout kit.
Whisk into warm water:
  2x 500g Extra dark spray malt
  1x 500g Dark soft brown sugar
  50g Azera Americano
Make up to 23ltr.  1044

Is the coffee added as a liquid or solid?

SoreTween

« Reply #268 on: 28 November, 2021, 09:45:39 am »
Is the coffee added as a liquid or solid?
Add the sugar and 50g of dry coffee to a pan of warm water then when all dissolved add to the fermenting bin.

ElyDave

« Reply #269 on: 26 May, 2022, 06:54:23 am »
Two gallons of rhubarb wine started yesterday, and blooping away happily (i see we all itself that term  :) )
First steps in winemaking dry extraction technique works every time,
3lb chopped rhubarb
3lb demerara
Leave in a large bowl for 3-4 days and stir daily until the sugar is dissolved
Pour syrup into a demijohn, top up/rinse the pulp with fresh water and add yeast. Normally something like a hock yeast works well, but I couldn't find any locally at the weekend so used gp yeast this time.
Normally makes a nice light white about 10-12%, something like a sauv blanc.

« Reply #270 on: 08 October, 2022, 06:14:23 pm »
Trying first 30 litres cider as the community orchard has produced 70 litres of apple juice. (And expect another 70-100 in a fortnight), have sulphated the juice, OG 1050 and added pectolayse. Yeast is going well will pitch in 24 hours. Notice a mention of tea up thread, and should I add a yeast nutrient? Also wondering whether to sugar up to 1055-60 just to ensure plenty of alcoholic preservation

Pedal Castro

« Reply #271 on: 16 October, 2022, 05:06:41 pm »
My latest brew is a liquorice stout.
A Wlico velvet stout kit, 1kg soft dark brown sugar, 500g brewing sugar and extract from 200g soft liquorice twists boiled for an hour.

It is a 5.6% abv delight.  ;D

Pedal Castro

« Reply #272 on: 16 February, 2023, 06:47:11 am »
After a few part grain efforts I have now moved into all grain production following a bargain ebay purchase of all the kit needed.

First brew is a Ruddles County clone, OG 1055 rather than planned 1050 due to unfamiliarity with the kit and ending up with only 25l in the FV but decided not to add extra water at that stage. 4 days in and down to 1016 already.

« Reply #273 on: 18 February, 2023, 01:04:03 pm »
I'd be interested in your set-up. Last time I brewed was using a burco boiler as a mash tun and it involved a lot of monitoring of the temperature and starch conversion.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Pedal Castro

« Reply #274 on: 18 February, 2023, 01:52:29 pm »
I'm currently brewing in Northampton at my mum's until I get my garage sorted but after tahr you'll be welcome to pop round.