Linked Events

• Elenith: 05 April, 2008

Author Topic: Elenith 2008 roll call  (Read 18334 times)

Re: Elenith 2008 roll call
« Reply #25 on: 01 April, 2008, 12:55:11 pm »
...my email is on the side...

Actually, it isn't.

File here waiting.

cornelius

• Three wheels on my wagon...
« Reply #26 on: 01 April, 2008, 01:47:44 pm »
Ian H - you have PM.

:-[ fooled myself 'cos I could see something which you can't!
Like Jehu, Son of Nimshi, who drove like a maniac...

« Reply #27 on: 01 April, 2008, 02:10:32 pm »
Ian H - you have PM.

:-[ fooled myself 'cos I could see something which you can't!

File sent in what I trust is a usable format.

marcus

« Reply #28 on: 01 April, 2008, 07:03:09 pm »
Yes, I'll be there. I warmed up for it by riding the Devil's Staircase last weekend on a permanent. Sucker for punishment.

daflloyd

« Reply #29 on: 01 April, 2008, 09:23:55 pm »
I'll be there too. My first ever audax outside God's Country  8)

I'll be nice to catch up with familiar faces and meet a few new ones too.

« Reply #30 on: 01 April, 2008, 10:15:55 pm »
God's country?

Not this bit

Chris N

« Reply #31 on: 02 April, 2008, 09:35:00 am »
God's country?

Not this bit

That makes it look much worse than it actually is.  Granted, it's pretty steep but I think the second climb is harder - longer and generally with a headwind as it's more exposed.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #32 on: 02 April, 2008, 11:21:36 am »
God's country?

Not this bit

Another view of the same bit - for the benefit of those of a nervous disposition, the steepest bit is hidden behind the trees. Little Richard didn't even try to ride.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #33 on: 02 April, 2008, 02:58:26 pm »
That's quite reassuring cos it looks like he's walking downhill  ;D ;D

« Reply #34 on: 02 April, 2008, 03:30:55 pm »
Moi.

(Just back from 1000km or so of snow, rain, hail wind & sun round Bretagne & Loire Valley)

Do I hear the sound of a gauntlet being flung down?

(I did a 200 in Feb).

Maladict

« Reply #35 on: 02 April, 2008, 04:50:55 pm »
*swallows tongue*

(We need a smiley for that, I feel)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #36 on: 02 April, 2008, 05:27:56 pm »
Moi.

(Just back from 1000km or so of snow, rain, hail wind & sun round Bretagne & Loire Valley)

Do I hear the sound of a gauntlet being flung down?

(I did a 200 in Feb).

If you can hear a gauntlet it certainly isn't mine (although my Aldi gloves do make a satisfyingly soggy 'splot' sound). As you may know, my views on points, championships and the like are somewhere beyond those of Jim Hopper.

This was a leisurely 100-140 km per day tour (as in touring), going where the spirit (but mostly the wind) took me, with fine food and drink (starting with tea and cake at Hummers Halls, and a lead-out to the ferry by the man himself), sightseeing and plenty of sleep in warm hotel beds.

(I also did a 200 in Feb)
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Maladict

« Reply #37 on: 02 April, 2008, 08:45:36 pm »
Cleaned the bike this evening.

It'll bucket it down, then.

Maladict

« Reply #38 on: 02 April, 2008, 11:59:19 pm »
I have created a set of waypoints for the turns on the routesheet, named to give instructions for each turn.

Email me if you want it.

(GPX format available)

Chris N

« Reply #39 on: 04 April, 2008, 11:26:58 am »
Cleaned the bike this evening.

It'll bucket it down, then.

I didn't, mine's filthy.  Panniers all packed though - I'm riding down to the Travelodge in Hartlebury this afternoon.  Got extra clothes for the ride back up North on Sunday cos it looks like it could be a little chilly: Metcheck is claiming a 'feels like' of -8ºC for 7.00AM Sunday morning :o.

« Reply #40 on: 04 April, 2008, 03:06:59 pm »
Best wishes to all for a successful ride  :thumbsup:

Have fun...

« Reply #41 on: 04 April, 2008, 03:08:07 pm »
This and da Oirsh Meal are ones that I was looking forward to in 2008, then I crashed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #42 on: 04 April, 2008, 03:26:50 pm »
I am semi-reliably informed that TWFKAML's ex-housemate's new bloke is doing it.  Say hello to a Steve from Highbury...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Martin

« Reply #43 on: 04 April, 2008, 03:31:09 pm »
be afraid

« Reply #44 on: 04 April, 2008, 03:42:14 pm »
Metcheck is claiming a 'feels like' of -8ºC for 7.00AM Sunday morning :o.

I'm going to have a lie-in then. Only -2oC by 10am.

Luckily I uploaded the route to my GPS before one of the pins on the connector won't pop out any more (and it's a data pin rather than power) so I'll just have to get to Foregate street then next day using my brain.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #45 on: 04 April, 2008, 04:33:38 pm »

With the forecast looking as it is, this looks like an occasion to get round quick before the weather gets bad.

Yeah right.

Looks like I picked the wrong ride to get round quick  :D

Still, nice and scenic during the day. Last year I was wearing an 18/32 low gear. Still walked up the staircase :)

Preparation is much better this year - nought since January  :o
'Squeal like a pig boy'!

Garry Broad

Chris N

« Reply #46 on: 06 April, 2008, 03:21:28 pm »
Cor, that was tougher than last year.  Stronger headwind on the outbound leg combined with little sleep (though not as little as Pumpe), a 100km ride to the start the day before and a few beers the night before meant I didn't finish until 12.30.  Strangely, I enjoyed it more than last year's ride - haven't quite worked out why.  Same cracking controls (including dinner at Mum and Dad's :)), same scenery, same route - just nicer.  A (mostly) pleasant ride back today brings my tally for the weekend to 500km. :thumbsup:

Maladict

« Reply #47 on: 06 April, 2008, 03:38:45 pm »
I set out to try to pace myself so there was none of this tearing off with the fast guys then regretting it later.  The climb up to Clows Top near the start was fun as was the descent, then a team time trial with John Spooner across the flat section before we arrived at the airfield control to see Judith Swallow just leaving.

The next bit was where the undulations began as promised, but the climb before Builth Wells was relatively easy, and the descent was fun, and I got there with about 1h30 in hand.  That was a nice control and then we were off into the real meat of the ride.  The climb up to the checkpoint was OK, I had to stop for a comfort break.  Met some kids on mountain bikes on the way up and chatted to one of them.  I noticed the climb through the trees on the approach, thought "that looks interesting".  Had some of the jelly babies, oiled my chain, Alex arrived and we started the climb together.  As we rounded the corner into the forest Alex spotted the climb for the first time and announced something along the lines of "Oh, fuck".  We started climbing, I got round the first hairpin, and halfway up the next leg before deciding I was going to explode/throw up/die so swallowed my pride and walked the remainder.  Then it was a short descent before another steep climb which Andrew Uttley was in the process of walking, I walked with him for a bit but didn't have to walk after that.  That was by far the hardest section.  Then once we'd made it over all the undulations it was down to Tregaron.  Despite being warned I'd lose time on this section, I didn't so I arrived there with 50 minutes in hand that I'd had when I left Builth Wells.

Off again into the wind and Alan Vance was too fast for me to hold onto so I rode with John Spooner and Andrew for a bit til I stopped to remove the jacket, then started the climb towards the Red Kite road.  That was the steepest of the remaining climbs, once that was done the climb up the valley was relatively easy.  Got hailed on briefly in an apparently clear blue sky.  At the summit of that section I was riding with the wind, at the same speed as the wind so it was perfectly silent.  All I could hear were the birds.  The sun was quite low now and it was brining out all the colours.  I hit 73kph on the descent to Rhyader which is a new record, got a bit cold though.  That was a lovely Cafe, and I spent an hour there so was 20 minutes out of time on leaving.  Thus I time trialled (by my standards) over to the next control, making up 1h20.  I think I overtook 5 people on that section.

On one of the long, straight roads there I had a car pull alongside with the window down, "uh-oh" I thought.  "Are you doing an Audax?" asked a female voice.  "Yes."  "Oh, good for you, is it a 400k".  "No, 300, going back to Kidderminster".  "Oh, well, good luck" and off they went.   smiley

John and Andrew were at the Kingsland control having left me behind at Rhyader.  I left there with about 30 mins in hand.  On the next climb I got snowed on a little - very tiny flakes.  Caught Rust Bucket at the bottom, his chain having broke for the 2nd time and then dropped him and someone else near the bottom of the climb back to Clows Top.  I saw some lights ahead, and it was John and Andy again so I reeled them in by the time we got to the descent, but used them for navigation through Bewedley.  Got in, in steady rain at 02.15.  No-one else arrived til about 02.45 and the last I saw arrived at 02.55.  Rust Bucket had had a 3rd chain breakage, apart from those issues he'd have been well on to beat last year's time.

I did a rolling average of about 20kph and an overall average of 15.9, which had been as low as 14.5 due to the slow control at Rhyader.  Considering The Dean was 14.7kph overall, that'll do for now.  Unlike The Dean, I don't have aching thighs today, which is nice.

Chris N

« Reply #48 on: 06 April, 2008, 03:44:47 pm »
Glad you got back ok Maladict - I think I spotted you at Shobdon but didn't get a chance to introduce myself.  Did Greenbank finish?

Maladict

« Reply #49 on: 06 April, 2008, 03:51:27 pm »
Glad you got back ok Maladict - I think I spotted you at Shobdon but didn't get a chance to introduce myself.  Did Greenbank finish?

Yes he finished at 2.45iirc.  Good value for money.  :)