Author Topic: Taste of the Test roll call  (Read 7971 times)

Taste of the Test roll call
« on: 07 May, 2008, 12:50:41 pm »
Is anybody else doing this ride from Pamber Heath?
As the start is only a few miles from home it seemed rude not to join it.

Re: Taste of the Test roll call
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2008, 01:30:09 pm »
I've always fancied this one in theory, but as the halfway point (Dunbridge) is only a few miles from home it's not a good one for me logistically...

Hope you have a good ride.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

LEE

« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2008, 01:33:56 pm »
I've always fancied this one in theory, but as the halfway point (Dunbridge) is only a few miles from home it's not a good one for me logistically...

Hope you have a good ride.

Don't burn yourself out Scampi, remember you're meeting us as 6am at Kimbridge next day.

:thumbsup:

Air Dancer

« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2008, 01:34:58 pm »
Not me.

It's a very nice ride though

« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2008, 01:57:32 pm »
Don't burn yourself out Scampi...

Doing two audaxes in one weekend is unlikely to go down well at home  :)
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2008, 03:09:02 pm »
I'll be there. 

A gentle warm-up for Sunday's ride.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2008, 04:11:28 pm »
Semi-perm; join/leave at Aldbourne...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2008, 04:54:22 pm »
I can't justify riding both Saturday and Sunday this week; having already ridden the Denmead 300K a couple of weeks ago, dragged the family over to the IoW so I could do the Randonnee with my lad, then intending doing the Irish Mail at the end of this month I'm not getting a lot of family time in.

Having ridden a lot around the New Forest recently, this seems like a nice change - and being able to ride there from home is a definite advantage :-)

John - if you are riding through HW on your way to the start perhaps you'd like some company?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #8 on: 07 May, 2008, 07:42:09 pm »
I'll be along, but it will be a long day, my first outing for a month. Never mind, I can always prop up the end, as the actress said to the bishop.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2008, 06:41:27 am »

John - if you are riding through HW on your way to the start perhaps you'd like some company?

Certainly. My usual route woul take me through Phoenix Green,so HW is a tiny detour. PM on it way.

« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2008, 05:12:38 pm »
Normally outside my audax stomping ground, but a late decision to drive 100 miles east to do this one.  Hope it fully justifies my decision to use 200 miles worth of fossil fuels going to and fro.

Would be good to meet some yACFers.

I'll be on a blue Ricci.

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2008, 05:18:33 pm »
Semi-perm; join/leave at Aldbourne...

You're either going to be half a day out of phase or very late to bed :)

I did it as a perm from home a couple of years ago and nipped down to pick up the route at Boxford, then left it on the return at Aldbourne.

Manotea

« Reply #12 on: 10 May, 2008, 04:02:58 pm »
After about 20km I realised that my Brooks Team Pro saddle didn't have a tensioning bolt. Cue jokes about 'deja vu all over again'. Wandered over to Andover in search of bike shops then decided to pack, getting back to the arrivee just before the first chaps back from the 100km (in ~3:45, very impressive, them not me).

The up side is that I've logged 50km more than I logged in the last month (0km), and I'm writing this to the sound of thunder in London.

Hopefully I'll make it to the first control next weekend on the Stonehenge ride!

Edit: It was market day in Andover. The place was buzzing with people and full of stalls with stuff and produce for the kitchen half the price and twice as nice as supermarket fodder. Excellent!

« Reply #13 on: 10 May, 2008, 08:15:39 pm »
Oh dear. Sorry to read that Manotea - not a very old saddle either if I recall correctly.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #14 on: 10 May, 2008, 09:32:09 pm »
I wondered where you'd got to Manotea. Che peccato!

A lovely day out. Rode with matth to the start. We were joined for most of the ride by David D. ("a surly urc type" and chum of juliet), and on and off by Richard Wareham and a couple of others.

One thing spoiled the ride a little. A rider from reading CC had just been knocked off at the nasty T junction with the A 345 (?) near Old Sarum when we arrived. He was lying motionless in the middle of the road, but conscious and lucid. It looked as if the main damage was to his neck/shoulder. The frame and rear wheel of his Cannondale were bent. We waited for the ambulance and police to arrive and left when he was on his way to hospital.

Otherwise a lovely day out - no sign of thunder for us, and we had the roads of the Boxford Alps all to ourselves.

Martin

« Reply #15 on: 10 May, 2008, 09:43:22 pm »
 shall I bring the Squadra next week Manotea?

« Reply #16 on: 10 May, 2008, 10:28:34 pm »
It was a lovely day out, starting with a gentle 22K ride to the start with Mr Spooner.

It was quite upsetting to see the guy lying in the road as we approached the junction. Apparently his rear wheel got clipped as he was turning right out of the t-junction. I spoke to him to see if he needed anyone contacting and what he wanted doing with the bike (the organiser was willing to send someone out to pick it up and the police were happy to take it to the local nick); whilst he was in pain with his shoulder he was fully aware of what was going on, which was reassuring. It still makes you realise how vulnerable we are on the road, and I took much greater care on junctions further on.

The rest of the ride was good. A slap up feed at Friar Tuck's set me up for the final 100K, then we had an extended stop at the next control as they forgot to put David's chips on.  Not the fastest 200 I've done, due to all the stops, but we still got back in plenty of time. The day was nicely rounded off by riding back home with John.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #17 on: 10 May, 2008, 11:06:13 pm »
You're either going to be half a day out of phase or very late to bed :)

Meh!

Wake up. Remember to get up, not nap for another 30 mins, such that you arrive at Pamber in time to see the 100k's leaving...

Tea & biccies, and continue as the definitive laterne rouge on the 200 (and almost the 100). Direct a couple of lost-looking leftpondians back to the start, 300m away.

Hurrrrrngh up Watership Down, and start the pretty bits.

R. Test: Bit of a drop-off on that...

R. Anton. Fishing from your bed - nice.

Get to (1/2 way for me) Houghton. Chat with the Slandem teamsters, who are "looking for fitness"; ask them to save me a job lot if they find it.  Commiserations from Phipps^1 (or it could have been Phipps^2) on the demise of Tiggger. Leap on stead - go 10m - leap off stead and fix visitation.  Leap on stead - go 5m - leap off stead and re-attach rear brake cable; 3rd time lucky...

Things can just look pretty.

R: Avon. Lots'n'lots of big albino ducks under the Castle's shadow...

R. Avon bis, & bye-bye to pretty valleys

Naw, pale imitation of the real thing.

I bin looking at water & sweating bukkits all day, and am now going to have enjoyed some flavoured produce.

Hope it was as good for y'all in front  ;D

I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Manotea

« Reply #18 on: 11 May, 2008, 10:51:30 am »
No I'm good. I've a selection of saddles from which to choose.

Martin

« Reply #19 on: 11 May, 2008, 03:23:22 pm »
No I'm good. I've a selection of saddles from which to choose.

I have acquired a local snake Jan who will be doing his first 200; hopefully he'll slow down a bit. Definitely a day for the Trek.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #20 on: 11 May, 2008, 10:03:47 pm »
Medical Bulletin:

I saw Mark Beauchamp today, who was helping out at the start/finish yesterday. The chap who was knocked off near Old Sarum yesterday was collected from Salisbury hospital by his parents, and called in at HQ on the way back to Reading. In the end his only injury was torn shoulder ligaments. So no broken bones, but he'll have to wear a sling for a few weeks.

« Reply #21 on: 11 May, 2008, 11:01:40 pm »
Medical Bulletin:

I saw Mark Beauchamp today, who was helping out at the start/finish yesterday. The chap who was knocked off near Old Sarum yesterday was collected from Salisbury hospital by his parents, and called in at HQ on the way back to Reading. In the end his only injury was torn shoulder ligaments. So no broken bones, but he'll have to wear a sling for a few weeks.

That is very good news, it could have been an awful lot worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #22 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:27:54 am »

I bin looking at water & sweating bukkits all day, and am now going to have enjoyed some flavoured produce.

And there was me thinking that you were a Man of Taste :sick:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #23 on: 12 May, 2008, 11:46:32 am »
Medical Bulletin:

That is very good news, it could have been an awful lot worse.

And now he has the opportunity to rectify his unexpected N - 1 situation.

« Reply #24 on: 12 May, 2008, 06:27:21 pm »

Naw, pale imitation of the real thing.

Is that comment for the picture above, the picture below, or both?