Author Topic: Bryan Chapman 2012  (Read 98982 times)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #600 on: 21 May, 2012, 12:48:58 pm »
I'm most grateful for all the GWS messages and rest assured I'm home and I'm fine - I've had much worse!!! Mike Tyson photo is my avatar now!!

I saw you before the ambulance arrived, mate.  Glad that you are in good spirits and not too mangled
Any chance of a PM telling me what you saw, who was there, and what happened, e.g. did I say anything informative?
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #601 on: 21 May, 2012, 01:01:02 pm »
I'm most grateful for all the GWS messages and rest assured I'm home and I'm fine - I've had much worse!!! Mike Tyson photo is my avatar now!!

I saw you before the ambulance arrived, mate.  Glad that you are in good spirits and not too mangled
Any chance of a PM telling me what you saw, who was there, and what happened, e.g. did I say anything informative?

I think you kept calling him Paul Dytham but TBH, that is an easy enough mistake to make.

(GWS soon Mikey   :thumbsup:)

H

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #602 on: 21 May, 2012, 01:04:36 pm »
You mean the one on the A470/A458 junction?  That opens at 8-ish on a Sunday ISTR
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?cid=17253002736108720687&q=petrol+station&hl=en&authuser=0&cd=1&cad=src:ppiwlink&ei=ViO6T9zREITh8AOZ6uzABg&dtab=2

I did the BCM as a perm a few years ago with Mal Volio and Blah.   Outbound we controlled in Dollegau at the Coop and after Menai we'd booked a bunk at Kings so used the YHA stamp in the morning

Did you have to make it back to Kings before 10.30pm or did you 'book in' on the way out and get a key for a late arrival?

Sorry for 20 questions - I'd assumed that Kings wouldn't be an option!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #603 on: 21 May, 2012, 01:19:32 pm »
Kings let you "checkin", then give you the key-code for the night door.
Mr Blacksheep is the expert on riding the route 'outside' of the calendar event, might be worth asking him for further tips.

(I'm pretty sure the petrol station you mentioned was shut at 0530, and IIRC Pumpé once found that absolutely nothing was open on that stretch during the small hours. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #604 on: 21 May, 2012, 01:43:49 pm »
You mean the one on the A470/A458 junction?  That opens at 8-ish on a Sunday ISTR
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?cid=17253002736108720687&q=petrol+station&hl=en&authuser=0&cd=1&cad=src:ppiwlink&ei=ViO6T9zREITh8AOZ6uzABg&dtab=2

I did the BCM as a perm a few years ago with Mal Volio and Blah.   Outbound we controlled in Dollegau at the Coop and after Menai we'd booked a bunk at Kings so used the YHA stamp in the morning

Did you have to make it back to Kings before 10.30pm or did you 'book in' on the way out and get a key for a late arrival?

Sorry for 20 questions - I'd assumed that Kings wouldn't be an option!

We had to make a special arrangement with them to get the keycode to the number pad on the front door.  We got there after midnight
We'd bought food at the coop first time through Dollegau and to save a trip up the driveway we'd stashed it behind the wall next to the entrance on our way to Barmouth

We did our BCM perm in July, because Mal Volio and Blah had missed the event for various reasons.  I just fancied doing it again  ;D
Here's the photos of it on flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36911087@N05/sets/72157623579134866/

GrahamG

« Reply #605 on: 21 May, 2012, 02:02:51 pm »
Thanks chaps - I won't bother Mark so soon after the weekend, but will have a look at the route/controls in a bit more details once i've got a date sorted and hostel space booked!

« Reply #606 on: 21 May, 2012, 02:06:36 pm »
Kings let you "checkin", then give you the key-code for the night door.
Mr Blacksheep is the expert on riding the route 'outside' of the calendar event, might be worth asking him for further tips.

(I'm pretty sure the petrol station you mentioned was shut at 0530, and IIRC Pumpé once found that absolutely nothing was open on that stretch during the small hours. )

As a classic route check I use:-

Chepstow  - Plenty of places to get receipt. Shops, Petrol Stns, ATMs, places with stamps.
Bronllys - Receipt fron Honey Cafe.
Nant-Yr-Arian - They have stickers (and a stamp - but this is often "lost" - presumably in managers office)
Dolgellau - Shops receipt (CO-OP), ATMs.
Menai Bridge - Brittania service station (about 100m past usual calendar event control). Open 24 hours, but fairly useless after doors close in evening - as they stop selling hot drinks (can't get them through serving hatch)
Dolgellau - as before (but more likely to be ATM if on 0600 from Chepstow).
Newtown (instead of Aberhafesp) - ATMs, Shops, PO stamp,
Weobley - Old School Shop has a stamp. (open 0600 to 2000).
Chepstow - Plenty of shops, ATMs, places with stamps.

This year's choice in Bold

The petrol station between cross foxes and Dolgellau is not 24 hours, opens 0700 I think, there's never been any sign of life when I've passed it shortly after 0600.

And just to show how bloody sad I am, for the Brevet Cymru I use

Chepstow - Plenty of places to get receipt. Shops, Petrol Stns, ATMs, places with stamps.
Hay-on-Wye - TI Centre has stamp, but there's also ATMs, (PO, Banks to get stamp)
Builth Wells (instead of info) - lots of shops to get receipt, but there's also ATMs, (PO, Banks to get stamp)
Llandovery - West end Cafe has TWO stamps, but there's also ATMs, (PO, Banks to get stamp)
Lampeter (instead of info at Cwmman) - ATMs, All-day shops receipt,
Tregarron - Talbot has stamp - often lost in the hotel part of the building, Landlord likes to sign card. LONDIS receipt (in the main square).
New Quay - The Marriners Cafe has a stamp - but you're best contacting them before to check on opening times. I went to the Sea Horse PH, and the Landlord signed card
Llandovery - West End shuts at 20:00, but there's ATMs close-by
Crickhowell (instead of control at Bwlch) - NatWest ATM on Right as leaving town on A40.
Chepstow - Plenty of places to get receipt. Shops, Car Sales Centre, ATMs, places with stamps.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

GrahamG

« Reply #607 on: 21 May, 2012, 02:18:05 pm »
Many thanks Mr R. 

Just waiting to hear back from fellow DNS Henry regarding the state of his knee and I've even had Mr Whiteland express an interest in riding it at more of a 'tourist' pace with us, so that'll dispense of the need for a routesheet!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #608 on: 21 May, 2012, 02:20:43 pm »

« Reply #609 on: 21 May, 2012, 03:44:20 pm »
Many thanks to Mark and his team of helpers. Good luck in your retirement.  ;)

I took your advice, Mark, on sleeping at Aberhafesp. It worked well. I sleep in the peace and quiet and left as day broke. Great timing.

I rode my first BCM for 26 years! (Back then, the Anglesey 600 in 1986).

Sorry to hear about your accident, Mike. I'm sure you'll be back out there soon.

CET, it was good riding with you and Nick G at various times during the day.

« Reply #610 on: 21 May, 2012, 03:50:24 pm »
Mission accomplished:
First 600 completed (actually first ride over 300 for either of us)

We were a few minutes ahead of our "full-value game plan" all the way through Saturday and got to bed just after 4 am.  Decided to keep ahead and leave at 7:30 am instead of our original planned 8 am, but left Kings YHA a few minutes after 8 am, having helped TimS "re-invent the wheel".

Thereafter found that we were needing brief intermediate stops on each leg as just kept on "running out of fuel" - and so started to eat into hour's "contingency", playing leapfrog with Simon & Feline on the tandem, arriving back at Bulwark at 21:30pm, just avoiding lanterne rouge status, thanks to Tim !

No pictures...didn't really have time, sorry.

BIG THANK YOU to BlackSheep and MrsBlacksheep ... and all the other helpers!
and GWS Mikey.

« Reply #611 on: 21 May, 2012, 03:58:46 pm »
Mission accomplished:
Well done PpPete!!

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #612 on: 21 May, 2012, 04:17:46 pm »
Firstly a big thanks to Mr & Mrs Blacksheep & their team of helpers for all the hard work & also to SR Steve for the lift to the start & back home again :thumbsup:

The ride was great & the weather was kind to us.  The 1st 200k was pretty rapid at just over 9hrs & over 16mph avg.  I especially enjoyed the ride over the Mawddach on the Barmouth bridge & onto Harlech as we used to go on holiday in Talybont.  Happy family memories :)   Sitting on the grass in the sunshine opposite londis in Weobley knowing I'd got plenty of time left to finish was also a high point. 

Sadly my right knee started playing up before I'd got to kings yh on the way out & it was just a case of getting to each control after that.  On the vitamin I (ibuprofen) now as I have to commute to work tomorrow & still want to ride the Llanfair 400 on Saturday. 

Highly recommend the Travelodge at Severn view, the room only cost £30 for two nights including breakfast & both nights they moved us to a family room.

Anyways thanks again all & GWS Mikey  :thumbsup:

SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #613 on: 21 May, 2012, 04:24:46 pm »
Mission accomplished:
Well done PpPete!!
Impressive.
Now you MUST ride a 400 - it is in the rules.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #614 on: 21 May, 2012, 04:32:21 pm »
Just back in Aberdeen.
That was my first 600, and it was a great weekend out.
Weather was great, the terrain was fantastic.

Was good to put some faces to the various forum names.
Many thanks to Mark and his team of helpers for a seamless event.

All went well, and the worst that happened was a sense-of-humour failure following a clipless moment.
Oh, and I need to go and grumble to Garmin about Edge 800's shitting themselves 400k in.

The obligatory Barmouth Bridge pics, of Pingu and myself:

« Reply #615 on: 21 May, 2012, 05:30:05 pm »
Yes great weekends riding  :thumbsup: Started off slightly stressed after leaving Bristol a tad late and having to ride faster than planned to just make the start on time! But after that settled in and enjoyed a completely dry BCM! After two previous soakings made it a very different experience.

Great to meet Feanor & Pingu at various stages throughout the ride, realised shortly after chatting outside the tourist info in Knighton (and claiming it was pretty flat to Weobly) I may have forgotten to mention the Lumpy laney bit  :facepalm:

Thanks again to Mark, Lou, and all the many helpers, great food and support throughout. Never eaten so much apple pie! or had it for breakfast!

Feanor

« Reply #616 on: 21 May, 2012, 06:02:01 pm »
Great to meet Feanor & Pingu at various stages throughout the ride, realised shortly after chatting outside the tourist info in Knighton (and claiming it was pretty flat to Weobly) I may have forgotten to mention the Lumpy laney bit  :facepalm:

Good to meet you too.

Quite enjoyed the laney bit, actually!

We stopped at an artsy gallery / cafe in Knighton, about halfway down the hill behind the tower on the right, and had home-made soup, bread and cake!

--
Ron

« Reply #617 on: 21 May, 2012, 06:49:25 pm »
Felt allot more relaxed about this ride this year. It was good to arrive at familiar locations and see familiar faces.
I'm sure that monster climb near Monmouth has grown.
I was a bit quicker overall, but definately slower on the climbs - I suspect that this is mostly because I didn't try to chase Toby up the early hills.

Nice to meet CrazyEnglishTriathlete who did way too much work towing us at crazy speeds throughout most of Saturday.
Good as always to ride with zigzag. He found me out of puff and almost asleep on the bars on the way to Aberhafesp.

Thank you to Mark and all of the other helpers. To just flop into a chair in the wee hours and have someone feed and water you is much appreciated. Good work for finding the new Menai control so close to the old at such short notice.

A few photos

Oh, and I need to go and grumble to Garmin about Edge 800's shitting themselves 400k in.
I feel your pain. It's a known issue. I got lost on the previous BCM, because mine expired. I don't let the Garmin activities get much past 300km. I then merge them together afterwards to create one complete activity. PM me if you want to know the technique.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #618 on: 21 May, 2012, 07:33:28 pm »
First 600 completed

VERY WELL DONE!

« Reply #619 on: 21 May, 2012, 07:37:10 pm »
Mission accomplished:
Well done PpPete!!
Impressive.

We know...
A nice flat 'un is booked!
One Llancloudy in a year is quite enough.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #620 on: 21 May, 2012, 07:48:22 pm »
I feel your pain. It's a known issue. I got lost on the previous BCM, because mine expired. I don't let the Garmin activities get much past 300km. I then merge them together afterwards to create one complete activity. PM me if you want to know the technique.

When you say "shitting themselves" and "expired" what exactly did they do, what were the symptoms?
I had garmin issues on that ride to which I haven't quite worked out the cause / what I did to upset it.

Feanor

« Reply #621 on: 21 May, 2012, 07:57:30 pm »
They die with the White Screen of Death.
Essentially, they crash to a blank white-screen and then fade to dead.

Re-booting only gets as far as 'loading maps...' before crashing to WSoD again.
Rinse and repeat.

If the current tracklog ( 'activity' ) exceeds a certain size ( approx 400k ) then it craters in this way.

I was able to recover yesterday and continue navigating as described here:
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=58702.msg1235857#msg1235857

As it stands, you must not let the current tracklog ( activity  ) reach 400k.   You need to re-set it by press-and-hold the left button.   This will save the existing one, and start a new one.

--
Ron

Euan Uzami

« Reply #622 on: 21 May, 2012, 08:07:38 pm »
They die with the White Screen of Death.
Essentially, they crash to a blank white-screen and then fade to dead.

Re-booting only gets as far as 'loading maps...' before crashing to WSoD again.
Rinse and repeat.

If the current tracklog ( 'activity' ) exceeds a certain size ( approx 400k ) then it craters in this way.

I was able to recover yesterday and continue navigating as described here:
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=58702.msg1235857#msg1235857

As it stands, you must not let the current tracklog ( activity  ) reach 400k.   You need to re-set it by press-and-hold the left button.   This will save the existing one, and start a new one.

--
Ron

Oh ok, mine didn't quite do that... but i'll ask in gps as a bit off topic to go into detail here. hope you get it resolved ok  :thumbsup:

Mark thanks for the splendid organisation, always a pleasure to do your rides and the controls were all fabulous  :thumbsup:

mikey! really unlucky with the crash mate, glad you're ok ish and hope you're back riding again soon

« Reply #623 on: 21 May, 2012, 08:49:33 pm »
Just another vote of thanks to Mark, Louise and all the Team who worked so hard to give us all another great ride.

This will live particularly strongly in my memory for two reasons - one, I got to ride in Wales without being rained on (I know, hard to believe, but ‘tis true!) and two, it was a revenge match for my horrible experience last year when I finished out of time after very nearly packing. I even remembered to avoid the embarrassment of forgetting to collect my dropbag when leaving the finish!

As usual, I didn’t get to chat to too many people from my position as Tail Gunner, but it was nice to put faces to PpPete and Mrs. PpPete. Congratulations on finishing your first Audax over 300km - brave (foolhardy?!) to pick this ride as a first at the distance but well done!

Big commiserations to Bikey-Mikey - I do hope you recover quickly - they say practice makes perfect but are you sure this is a wise policy?!

Sympathies also to those for whom for one reason or another things didn’t work out. Try again another day - it worked for me!

Oh, and great pictures from those who’ve posted them - they really do capture the flavour of the weekend.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #624 on: 21 May, 2012, 09:22:08 pm »
Mission accomplished:
Well done PpPete!!
Impressive.

We know...
A nice flat 'un is booked!
One Llancloudy in a year is quite enough.

Pete, well done on the BCM dear boy  :thumbsup:

Just one thing; did you know that there are some very fine rides close to where you live?

I expect I will be visiting these lands later in the year (when I am unbroken) to finish the SR and could do with some company.

H