Author Topic: PBP - Knowledge Resource  (Read 18714 times)

PBP - Knowledge Resource
« on: 05 January, 2023, 10:41:06 pm »
I have dug out some useful threads here and some detail from 2019 which some may find useful.

2015 telling 2019 self https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=92923.0

Registration https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=110768.0
11 Feb 2019: “Nous avons le plaisir de vous annoncer que 850 places supplémentaires seront ouvertes pour le PBP2019.
We are pleased to announce that 850 extra slots will be available for PBP 2019.” Hope for 200ers?

Mid Feb
"To allow more riders to enter PBP'19, we modified the 80h starts. There will be only 5 starts instead of 7, from 04:00pm
 to 05:00pm. By doing so, we will have to more starts for 90h and all start times will put backward by 30 minutes.
We are expecting early starters to ride at least to Carhaix for their first stop, if possible Brest and then Fougeres
or Villaine on the way back. Otherwise, Loudeac will be a mess despite the extra accommodation that we are implementing."

"All the places will go to those 'pre-registering'. But further to "There may be further spaces made available later on",
 it's worth noting that those 'freed up' places will become available at 2300BST on 19 Jun. This is the key date
for the 'chancer' diary, having already ridden 2,3 and 400 BRMs and with a 600 entered to be ridden that weekend."
And by 10 Apr 2019, every start slot had gone to pre-registrants (as I predicted back in mid Feb 2019). BUT then (as others have said in other threads) a good chunk of pre-registrants don't then register (for whatever reason) by the deadline: and suddenly starts become available PROVIDED you have ridden 3 of your 4 BRMs of the SR.
As an aside: This year I'll be one of those chancers who did not ride a 200 BRM in 2022 but will be completing an SR 'just in case'.

2023 Rules Article 3: The number of starters will be limited to 8000. 2500 slots with be reserved for candidates of French nationality.

Start time shenanigans https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=108477.0
Pace planning https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=111412.0
Damon/ESL's archives https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109806.0
Oppy: https://www.audax.org.au/public/paris-brest-paris/pbp-oppy-wins

Re: PBP - Knowledge Resource
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2023, 10:12:29 pm »
John Jackson said (edited for 2023):
Top tips for pre-registering
Create your account now. https://inscription.paris-brest-paris.org/
You can search for your BRMs
Make sure you know your longest BRM number
The site allows you to pre-register at 11am GMT. So be logged on before 11. Enter your BRM number. Press enter as the clock strikes 11.
The registration is easy except for the when you get to Payment of activity. There is a blank window asking for entry number. You have no idea what this is, look for the word back next to the Home icon and click  back (left hand side middle of page)
Your entry number which will look something like  PBP3895 will now appear and you can pay your 50 euros. Apparently using back or logging back in again will do the same.

As the fortnights progress, increasingly, all the early start times will be full for each time limit so be flexible. You may find a slot becomes free during registration due to a rider dropping out.
Good Luck
[/quote]
I saw this fascinating animation of the progress of riders in PBP 2015 (demonstrating the "bulge"), don't believe it has been previously mentioned here, (best viewed full screen : <<https://vimeo.com/137970979>> to see the details)

« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2023, 01:28:17 pm »
My account from previous PBP is still there.  Just updated the email address as they had an old disused one.  BRMs from 2019 to 2022 showing in lists.

« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2023, 10:08:00 pm »
Do you know how to get my 2022 BRMs linked  to my account? Thanks.

« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2023, 04:42:29 pm »

It ‘just seems to happen’ I have noticed. Go into your account and look at results. You might have to toggle dates but it’ll pull everything through.

frillipippi

• from Italy
« Reply #5 on: 08 January, 2023, 05:21:06 pm »
It happens to you, but not to everybody: my BRMs don't show unless I enter my approval number for each of them and click Search. After that, my BRM comes out together with a totally different brevet (different rider, different length, different year) - this doesn't happen for my last 1200+ but this is well explained in the red lines above. A friend of mine rode the same 600 BRM as me in Sep 2022: he can see his, I can't see mine (unless I enter etc.)

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #6 on: 08 January, 2023, 05:24:48 pm »
Thanks for doing this. 

I just logged in and can see all the BRM events I expect, including 2022. 

They are listed in descending distance order and within each distance they are listed by date - oldest first with 2017 the earliest of mine displayed

felstedrider

« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2023, 05:51:52 pm »
Thanks for the prompt.  I have moved house, changed email address and changed club since 2019.  I just need to get it to link up my 2022 rides.  I’ll have another go when I’m time wasting in the office tomorrow.

« Reply #8 on: 08 January, 2023, 05:58:33 pm »

Assuming you have a club set in audax uk, use the same club in your PBP account and then use the search function to pull up the missing events.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 08 January, 2023, 06:20:33 pm »
I rode some brevets in Oz last year and searching for the homologation numbers brought up my results but there was no confirm button to link those results to my account. Adding a second club (that those results were recorded against) to my details brought up the confirm button when searching for those homologation numbers. That then linked those results to my account.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 08 January, 2023, 06:31:04 pm »
Thanks for doing this. 

I just logged in and can see all the BRM events I expect, including 2022. 

They are listed in descending distance order and within each distance they are listed by date - oldest first with 2017 the earliest of mine displayed

It is a bit more complicated if your results are listed against multiple clubs (which you have to add to your profile). After ranking by decreasing distance, it is by club and then by increasing homologation number. A pair of my 200s have homologation numbers in the opposite order to their dates, so it is easy to see which priorities the database uses.

« Reply #11 on: 08 January, 2023, 10:21:40 pm »
It happens to you, but not to everybody: my BRMs don't show unless I enter my approval number for each of them and click Search. After that, my BRM comes out together with a totally different brevet (different rider, different length, different year) - this doesn't happen for my last 1200+ but this is well explained in the red lines above. A friend of mine rode the same 600 BRM as me in Sep 2022: he can see his, I can't see mine (unless I enter etc.)

Yeah, I'm the same. I entered the number for my BCM last year and it came up with me and another rider from Germany.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 08 January, 2023, 11:56:21 pm »
The brevet numbers are consecutive for each distance (0001 to infinity) but repeated between series i.e. every distance has brevet No.1, brevet No.100, etc. The recent homologation numbers for 200s have a large magnitude but the 400, 600 and 1000 homologation numbers are similar in magnitude. A homologation number from any of those distances might reasonably apply to the other distances. The ACP should have asked for the distance and the homologation number at the same time but instead they are asking you to pick the right distance for your homologation number.

frillipippi

• from Italy
« Reply #13 on: 09 January, 2023, 06:16:26 am »
Thank you very much LittleWheelsandBig for sharing with us your deep konwledge (or understanding) of how this stuff works: really interesting and hopely useful!!!
I looked for a place where I could check/add my club, but I couldn't find any. Under "My account" (Mon compte) I can only change my password, I can't even check my name and surname.
Did you delete your account and create a new one?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 09 January, 2023, 07:23:45 am »
Under <My Account> is (scroll down)
<Username>
<Profile enregistre>
<Address>
<Club> where there is a button to <Add a club>
You can then select from the country dropdown list to find the correct club to add.
That was all I did.

frillipippi

• from Italy
« Reply #15 on: 09 January, 2023, 07:51:35 am »
Under <My Account> I only find the section for changing password (Username/Identifiant).
Maybe it's due to the fact I registered a few days ago (in 2019 I didn't take part to PBP).
I didn't notice, but when you register you only have to give an email and a password, if you choose "Non French" as your Current Federation (I don't know if you choose some French federation what happens). No name, no surname, nothing more.
I'll try again next Saturday when they open up for Préinscription: they'll surely ask your name!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 09 January, 2023, 08:09:55 am »
I can’t accurately remember the process from the previous PBP. There is normally something that seems essential but frustratingly impossible and it gets resolved in time.

felstedrider

« Reply #17 on: 09 January, 2023, 08:31:39 am »
Thanks for the prompt.  I have moved house, changed email address and changed club since 2019.  I just need to get it to link up my 2022 rides.  I’ll have another go when I’m time wasting in the office tomorrow.

I can't seem to link to my 2022 rides at the moment.

I note that there are 2 'Audax Club Mid-Essex's on the ACP database.   I've tried them both.   Bit more faffing around required.

« Reply #18 on: 09 January, 2023, 08:46:29 am »
Under <My Account> I only find the section for changing password (Username/Identifiant).
Maybe it's due to the fact I registered a few days ago (in 2019 I didn't take part to PBP).
I didn't notice, but when you register you only have to give an email and a password, if you choose "Non French" as your Current Federation (I don't know if you choose some French federation what happens). No name, no surname, nothing more.
I'll try again next Saturday when they open up for Préinscription: they'll surely ask your name!

Give it a day or two, some bits of the site were working yesterday but broken today, especially english language version so ACP gremlins  are probably doing some tinkering. IF you have 1000 / 1000+ longest brevets make sure you have the basic info setup before noon 14th (Paris) as the site will then get hammered by thousands of hopefuls, otherwise you have a little extra time. My experience mirrors that of  LittleWheelsandBig so try to get the basic info done. I used to do some brevet admin and the only "rider" data ACP has about the rider's brevets is First Name, Last Name and Club (running the brevet) so these are used to match a user and their brevets . You will need the homologation number for your longest ride to pre-register and I assume it requires a match of names & club?

Good Luck

PS For my region they do have a strange (new) list of "clubs" most are not Audax/Randonneur  clubs?

PS2 Has anyone found a link for the 2023 route? (maybe I should be patient and give it today myself?

« Reply #19 on: 09 January, 2023, 08:59:21 am »
Under <Results>  <BRM>  I see all of my BRMs but not my LRMs.

At the top of the page I also see a note that states:

The French and 1200+ BRMs are not yet available!
Registration in the PBP does not depend on the results in this list

On Saturday I assume that there will be loads of people who completed LEL etc wanting to register for PBP.  I believe that the second line in this note is trying to say 'Don't worry about it - it will all become clear on Saturday and you will be able to register'.  Does that interpretation seem reasonable?

« Reply #20 on: 09 January, 2023, 09:29:42 am »

On Saturday I assume that there will be loads of people who completed LEL etc wanting to register for PBP.  I believe that the second line in this note is trying to say 'Don't worry about it - it will all become clear on Saturday and you will be able to register'.  Does that interpretation seem reasonable?

That note has been there for more than 4 years, was there during the last 2019 pre-reg, don't know what it means

I wonder what number you put in to search for LRMs

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #21 on: 09 January, 2023, 10:08:43 am »
search for the homogulation number, and then confirm it is you

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #22 on: 09 January, 2023, 10:10:56 am »

That note has been there for more than 4 years, was there during the last 2019 pre-reg, don't know what it means

I wonder what number you put in to search for LRMs
yeah, I put in my LEL number and it came up with someone else's BRM. Don't want to miss out on the first group for having done LEL instead of a 1000 BRM

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #23 on: 09 January, 2023, 05:43:58 pm »
Thanks for the tips. I set my club as Audax UK but there were no results showing under "Your BRMs" when I clicked on that. If I search by the result number (shown on the AUK website) for my longest ride BRM in 2022, it shows this, but I can't see any way to confirm this is me or add it to my profile. There is an empty box under the heading "confirm" but nothing to click on. Am I missing something? 

----
Homologation   Date             Last name   First name     Club           Distance      Confirm
19551         12/08/2022     TARMEY           Nick             Audax UK   1000   
----

« Reply #24 on: 09 January, 2023, 05:44:55 pm »
Maybe confirm will be available from Sunday?