Author Topic: Trying to get my Garmin Edge 200 to talk via Garmin Connect to Strava  (Read 4546 times)

OK, so as usual with modern software I find it less than intuitive.   I really don't know why they cannot be more explicit and clear in the instructions - perhaps I'm just a shit for brains.   :(

Anyway, having set up Garmin Connect because Chrome doesn't speak to Garmin Communicator any more, I cannot seem to get Strava and Connect to talk.   Any ideas welcome please.   One idea currently not in favour is to install Internet Explorer so please don't bother suggesting it.

Technology seems to have gone past the simples stage where it just works and got to the fucking hell, we don't really give a shit any more stage.   Really frustrating.   

Can you mount the Garmin as a drive to your PC/MAC and upload the log as a file direct to Strava?
I've got an old style Etrex and that's what I do.

I can connect the 200 to the pc and that syncs automatically with Garmin Connect.   I have found that I can then export the file as a GPX to the pc and upload the file from the pc to Strava.

I'll try your method after my evening ride to see if I can get that to work.   

Thanks for the suggestion.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Garmin Express?

Download it from Strava. I just plug my Edge in and a minute later I get a 'your ride is ready' message on Strava

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Can you mount the Garmin as a drive to your PC/MAC and upload the log as a file direct to Strava?

This.  Because it's the only option with an eTrex, and because reading files from storage devices is technology that works, rather than overcomplicated proprietary guff that adds all sorts of exciting new failure modes, but lets the user pretend they're not reading files from a storage device.  Filesystems are scary, apparently.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
If you go to the Strava upload page, there is an option for Garmin, with a button for "Get started". https://www.strava.com/upload/device
So click on that, then it should let you link your Strava account to your Garmin Connect account. Then anything uploaded to Garmin Connect will automatically be copied to Strava. Though sometimes there is a bit of delay in copying.

Though I think its easiest just to upload direct to Strava, no need to bother with Garmin Express or Garmin Connect.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow

This.  Because it's the only option with an eTrex, and because reading files from storage devices is technology that works, rather than overcomplicated proprietary guff that adds all sorts of exciting new failure modes, but lets the user pretend they're not reading files from a storage device.  Filesystems are scary, apparently.

Same here. Chrome also seems to usually remember that the file it wants is in G:/Garmin/GPX/Current/, which is nice.

If you go to the Strava upload page, there is an option for Garmin, with a button for "Get started". https://www.strava.com/upload/device
So click on that, then it should let you link your Strava account to your Garmin Connect account. Then anything uploaded to Garmin Connect will automatically be copied to Strava. Though sometimes there is a bit of delay in copying.

Though I think its easiest just to upload direct to Strava, no need to bother with Garmin Express or Garmin Connect.

Unfortunately that link goes for the Garmin Communicator plugin which doesn't work with Chrome.  That's my problem I guess.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
It should have an option for "Connect with Garmin" or upload using the communicator plugin. At least it does for me, in either Firefox or Chrome. Don't know why its not showing for you. Are you using any sort of popup blocker/script blocker etc?

Bizarrely it is just working today.   I recorded my ride yesterday evening via the Strava app on my smartphone and on the Edge 200.   Both have appeared in my Strava activity log.

The two separate devices have recorded slightly different distances amounting to a variance of 1.2%.   I shall continue to monitor the differences to see how things progress.   This time it was the phone which recorded the greater distance. 

Thanks very much.   Success just now but I expect further travails...

I understand the Communicator/Express issue, a right pain. However that has nothing to do with linking Garmin/Strava. If I recall correctly then within Strava I entered details of my Garmin account. From then on, anything uploaded to Garmin automatically appears in Strava (so fast I suspect shared or colocated servers).

For the actual upload to Garmin I've just given up on the software and select the manual file upload.