Author Topic: bruises  (Read 1127 times)

bruises
« on: 20 April, 2013, 12:02:30 am »
Does anyone else have a problem with constantly bruised legs? 
The other day i counted 37 entirely separate bruises on my legs plus some on my arms, hips, shoulders and i didn't look at my back.   Some of these are from clumsiness - mainly where I've walked into pedals and handlebars, but there are a few I can't explain.  I don't ever remember a time when I had clean, bruise-free legs.  Surely no one can be THAT clumsy?  can they??

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: bruises
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2013, 12:45:01 am »
Excessive bruising can be a feature of a blood problem.
My advice is to see your GP soon.

I don't think I have any visible bruises, though some 'bashed' places feel bruised.

Very elderly people (80+) might bruise easily as the skin and blood vessels thin.

« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2013, 10:06:03 am »
I've always had a lot of bruises (clumsy, tend to ignore pain a bit, and ride a tandem (all stokers have marks on their shins where the captain raises the pedals before they're ready for it)), but a dozen bruises over my body (mostly legs, but some on my arms) is more my average, not 37.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2013, 04:25:22 pm »
Whereas clumsy old me is the opposite...

cuts, scabs, etc all the time, yet a bruise only once every 6 months on average.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2013, 04:32:47 pm »
There are small cuts on my hands too.
I still have no visible bruises.

« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2013, 04:44:34 pm »
I went through a period a few years ago where I had dozens of bruises on my body all the time - some of them were pretty big too.  Some I remembered getting, others I suspected were happening when I was asleep (I can get up and go to the toilet without waking up, but would occasionally walk into stuff), others I really have no idea.  I went to the GP and had blood tests every fortnight for about 4 months, as he was a bit concerned that I looked like someone was injuring me - I had one that was clearly a handprint, from someone just touching me.  It stopped after about 9 months; I still don't know what it was as the blood tests all came back normal.  I still bruise quite easily, but not from normal contact with people.

« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2013, 06:44:17 pm »
I've always had a lot of bruises (clumsy, tend to ignore pain a bit, and ride a tandem (all stokers have marks on their shins where the captain raises the pedals before they're ready for it)), but a dozen bruises over my body (mostly legs, but some on my arms) is more my average, not 37.
I raise the pedals. He waits til I get them in position.
I bruise easily and have about a dozen at a time. And when I do get injuries that would cause bruises in anyone, mine will be bigger.
I'd see a doc