Author Topic: Upgrade question  (Read 4428 times)

Upgrade question
« on: 24 September, 2016, 02:04:08 pm »
Following on from my hub upgrade question, it seems to me that there is very little upgrade space of a fixed.  Other than a slightly lighter frame, generally the hubs are equivalent, your choice of rims is pretty much set depending on whether you are tubeless or not (open pro in the latter case) so therefore no wheel upgrade.  What's worth upgrading?
I find myself in the strange situation where I had planned to spend some upgrade cash on my pompino now that it's 10 years old, but I can't figure what I would invest in, other than maybe a new frame/fork which might save some weight.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Upgrade question
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2016, 02:15:41 pm »
You could fit some gears?   ;D

rob

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2016, 02:42:30 pm »
I find the jump in price from normal fixed kit to a bit nicer to be off putting.   As an example I use Stronglight Track 2000 cranks and rings which you can get for £50-£60.   A Dura Ace chainset is £200.

I did buy some Phil Wood hubs when I built the Condor and they're very pretty but probably not much better than Goldtec.

« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2016, 04:30:46 pm »
I've just done some upgrading to my pompino and bought a new frame, I haven't gone the expensive route though just wanted something a bit lighter so gone for a dolan fxe which I was looking at when I bought the pompino a couple of years ago, the pompino was second hand as a package though so in the end I went that way.

I have carbon forks on my pompino which I thought made it a much nicer and smoother ride, but even so once built (with the same kit) the dolan should take over a kilo off the weight, at least.

You're not limited to open pro rims though.

« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2016, 06:29:58 pm »
The only thing I've upgraded on my Genesis Flyer is the fork, and that was only because I had a suitable carbon one sitting around. I'd quite like an external bearing crankset rather than square taper, but they don't seem to exist in affordable versions!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2016, 06:39:52 pm »
upgrading the frameset is probably best if you want to feel the difference. also, aero spokes make the bike go faster - a worthwhile upgrade (can also put the tri-bars on). i've got a carbon ss bike (6.3kg) and an alloy one (9kg), sizes and geometries almost identical, but the experience riding them is quite different. my current plan is to turn the carbon one into a geared, and to make the alloy one an all-rounder with mudguards, hub dynamo etc.

« Reply #6 on: 24 September, 2016, 06:47:13 pm »
You could fit some gears?   ;D
I bought a lovely audax bike second hand off a member of this parish ... Don't think it's for me.

« Reply #7 on: 03 October, 2016, 10:22:21 pm »
I've just done some upgrading to my pompino and bought a new frame

You're not limited to open pro rims though.
Kinda what I figured, frame is the only sensible upgrade. (Unless I go tubeless, which I'm not sure about for a commuter).

I know I'm not limited to open pros, but unless I intend to run something wider than 35mm open pro are the sweet spot.  Is there a lighter rim that isn't prohibitively more expensive (or will last the 10 years my open pro have)?

« Reply #8 on: 03 October, 2016, 10:29:31 pm »
I indulged myself and got a nice bespoke Ti frame. 

Otherwise: decent cogs and chain (I've broken a couple of cheap 1/8th ones, snapped across a plate, and not where I joined it). 

It's worth checking that a hub has reasonable seals – track hubs might not.

« Reply #9 on: 04 October, 2016, 06:49:57 am »
A good quality chainring / sprocket / chain & lube !

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 07 October, 2016, 09:41:48 pm »
The best fixie-specific upgrades you can make are a rounder chainring and sprocket, which will allow you to run a tight chain without slack spots.  Some people might go for a nice NJS chain but I doubt there is much of a performance or weight advantage compared to any reasonable 1/8" chain (if you are running 1/8"). Hubs and cranks have no real effect on performance either.

You can obviously look at bars, stem, saddle, seatpost, tyres and all the usual stuff.

I'm assuming that you already have the chainline perfect.  Check it with a long steel rule (use the edge of the rule, NOT the flat!).  It needs ti be within 1mm.  You can get away with quite a bit more with a bushingless chain, but knowing it's not right will eat away at your soul.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #11 on: 17 October, 2016, 10:21:55 pm »
Cheers roger,

Which would be the brands I should be looking for in chainring/cog (must admit I run no-name el cheap or brand)?  Surely a crank upgrade can save some weight?  I'm not thinking lots of cash on unobtanium, but surely a bit more than entry prices will net a good weight loss?

« Reply #12 on: 19 October, 2016, 10:10:53 pm »
Miche

SRAM Omnium for £££
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rob

« Reply #13 on: 20 October, 2016, 09:51:03 pm »

SRAM Omnium for £££

Anyone tried one of these ? Thinking upgrades to the TT bike at the minute.   Price looks OK, but I haven't used an external BB crankset on fixed before.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #14 on: 20 October, 2016, 10:13:56 pm »

SRAM Omnium for £££

Anyone tried one of these ? Thinking upgrades to the TT bike at the minute.   Price looks OK, but I haven't used an external BB crankset on fixed before.

i've been using sram elita chainset, which is fairly similar, chainring is nice and round, only not convinced about the gxp bb system - there is no preload of bearings, it looks like preload depends on the width of the bb shell.

« Reply #15 on: 25 October, 2016, 12:19:24 am »

SRAM Omnium for £££

i've been using sram elita chainset, which is fairly similar, chainring is nice and round, only not convinced about the gxp bb system - there is no preload of bearings, it looks like preload depends on the width of the bb shell.

I've got the Omnium on my fixed. The GXP BB is rubbish though. I've just destroyed the second one in no time at all and so I'm now in the middle of upgrading to a Chris King BB with a shim that will take the SRAM crankset. Not a cheap option but it is my favourite bike and I felt it deserved a treat in the run up to Christmas.
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16 on: 12 November, 2016, 10:34:09 pm »
Cheers roger,

Which would be the brands I should be looking for in chainring/cog (must admit I run no-name el cheap or brand)?  Surely a crank upgrade can save some weight?  I'm not thinking lots of cash on unobtanium, but surely a bit more than entry prices will net a good weight loss?
EAI sprockets.  TA chainrings are supposed to be made on a lathe and should be rounder than stamped ones.  However, all chainrings benefit from being fine-tuned on the spider to try and eliminate tight spots, since there is usually some slack between the ring and spider.  With a chain fitted and tightened to the point where it binds a little, get the binder bolts just loose enough to allow the ring to shift on the spider with some persuasion, turn the crank to a tight spot and tap the ring backwards towards the sprocket before re-checking the tight spot.  It's a bit hit or miss, and takes a feel for how hard to tap, but eventually you should have improved the roundness of the crank-ring combination and you can then tighten the binder bolts properly.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #17 on: 12 November, 2016, 10:42:18 pm »
Cheers roger, I did that with my chainring a couple years ago when I fit it (but then spoils the effect by riding with a too tight chain).  Still, all the parts are getting into really bad shape and even the back wheel will need a rim replacement (after 10 years) so that might just be my bike spend for 2017.