Author Topic: Instructables Innertube Reuse Competition  (Read 7455 times)

Instructables Innertube Reuse Competition
« on: 17 October, 2010, 07:58:12 pm »
Since we all have innertubes that can't be used for their intended use, I thought I would point people towards this competition on Instructibles.com

Alchemy Goods Inner Tube Reuse Contest

Even if there's nothing you can enter, I'm sure there's stuff that we can make (apart from Nutty, we can't take that risk  ;D).

Re: Instructables Innertube Reuse Competition
« Reply #1 on: 16 December, 2010, 12:11:29 pm »
Food for thought!

I have a 3.5 x 8 wheelbarrow inner tube with a big hole in it.  This has now been chopped open,  washed and now sits in the airing cupboard drying / awaiting inspiration and some spare time. 

Initial thoughts:

1. iPhone cosy (lined with something more slippy like a cotton layer to ease phone egress)
2. Emo gift wrap  ;)

Watch this space.  A lot depends on whether I can figure out the late Mrs Q's sewing machine and whether it can handle the "fabric" weight as it's a lot heavier than a bike inner tube.  Otherwise it'll be handstitching.  Either way it'll look shoddy ;D  Pictures to follow.

« Reply #2 on: 19 December, 2010, 12:41:39 pm »

ta-da!  One iphone cosy.

Crap isn't it  ;D

« Reply #3 on: 19 December, 2010, 12:44:20 pm »
That's actually quite good !

« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2011, 08:46:47 am »
HI 700C 28MM  TUBE EXCELLENT SEAL FOR THE BOTTOM OF THE DISH WASHER IT BDOES NOT LEAK ANY MORE

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 12 September, 2011, 05:17:26 pm »
Short sections (4mm) of inner tube slices make excellent elastic bands, which I use to keep my phone charger leads under control.
Longer rings stopped my D cells jumping around in Never Ready bike lights.

corshamjim

« Reply #6 on: 12 September, 2011, 07:14:40 pm »
I'm going to use one to fit my bell on the handlebars without scratching them.  I do have some thicker rubber I'm using already but on the drops which are a larger diameter than MTB bars, the bell doesn't fit so easily and it's a bit of a struggle getting the screws to bite.  I suppose I could alternatively rummage the gubbins drawer for some slightly longer screws.  ::-)

Thinking about it, I could probably use a small piece of the rubber wrapped around the bell clapper to make it quieter for wednesday evening bell-ringing practice.  ;D

« Reply #7 on: 12 September, 2011, 08:56:34 pm »
I'm going to use a tractor innertube to make a gimp mask!

« Reply #8 on: 12 September, 2011, 08:57:10 pm »
I'm going to use a tractor innertube to make a gimp mask!
Hmmm, did I really post that!  :-[

« Reply #9 on: 23 March, 2012, 05:17:05 pm »
Cut into strips and superglue all over body as extra skin.

« Reply #10 on: 24 March, 2012, 09:32:58 pm »
At the risk of blowing my own trumpet just a little bit....

Make 'em into bags...

DSCN3060cropped by Panticle, on Flickr

DSCN3073cropped by Panticle, on Flickr

www.wastenotwantit.co.uk
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 24 March, 2012, 09:40:05 pm »
That looks really good, Arch. There were similar things on sale at the Bespoked exhibition today. I didn't see any bags but wallets, far smaller than that, were going for £35, which seemed a bit steep to me when the materials are free, but is probably a fair price somebody's time and skill. So we expect you to be posting pics of your brand new titanocarbonium, jewel encrusted, ultremexium, gold-plated, nasa-tested, n+1 soon!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #12 on: 24 March, 2012, 09:59:14 pm »
Cheers!

I'm currently asking* £35 for the larger of the bags, the one with two short handles. It does take a fair bit of time to put together, the cutting out and sewing of linings (which are discarded umbrella fabric) cutting up tubes, weaving them and stapling the tops - I think the quickest I can do one is about 2 hours, uninterrupted.

Was it Velo Re you saw today? Their stuff is very nice, and part of my inspiration, but yes, it's a bit luxury.  I'd like mine to be accessible to... people like me. I'll never be a millionaire!

I'm still learning the processes and material qualities - like how you sew inner tube on a machine. MFWHTBAB has been an amazing help and encouragement in all this, making tools for the jobs, helping me prototype and prepare raw materials.

*I've only made a couple so far, and sold the first one today, to the artist in residence at St Nicks for the Open Studios event.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 24 March, 2012, 10:05:26 pm »
I'm not sure what the name was, it was a Swiss-German woman and she was on a stand also selling Swrve clothing. Of course those might have been special show prices...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #14 on: 09 April, 2014, 10:12:39 am »
After making a few gaffer tape wallets, I'm hoping this one will be harder wearing.