Author Topic: Base training  (Read 252311 times)

Phil W

Re: Base training
« Reply #1425 on: 17 February, 2019, 09:00:03 pm »
Knocked out a low intensity 200km today. Planned route was shorter but a good run with no mechanicals so decided to extend it at the end, It would have been well within Audax time limits as well. So that has given me a nicer feeling ahead of my first PBP qualifier in a month. Will have easy day tomorrow , just do a bit of walking, then will hit the intervals again on Tuesday.

« Reply #1426 on: 18 February, 2019, 07:21:51 pm »
My max HR for 90 minutes of Sweet Spot over & unders was a whopping 152. I used to get higher than that riding to work.
I suspect my (n00b gains) FTP needs adjustment.

« Reply #1427 on: 19 February, 2019, 10:40:02 pm »
Ranp test today and power was up by all of 4 Watts.
a little bit disappointing, but not a disaster, I suppose.

simonp

« Reply #1428 on: 19 February, 2019, 10:52:54 pm »
Ranp test today and power was up by all of 4 Watts.
a little bit disappointing, but not a disaster, I suppose.

Similar to my results during base. Each step was around 3W.

Ramp test scheduled for Tuesday next wee for me, halfway through build.

I've done base but still a long way out from PBP.

Base - build - build - build - speciality is too much. Suggestion from TR if there is this much time is:

Base - build - base - build - speciality.

I'll need to add up the weeks to see if this is feasible or if it can be made to work with some trimming.

« Reply #1429 on: 20 February, 2019, 06:50:09 am »
Good to hear that is in the normal range - I didn't know what to expect

I've added up my weeks and I can do base-base-build-speciality with two weeks to spare. 
I expect I'll either lose those to holidays, or else I'll repeat a base / build week somewhere along the way.

« Reply #1430 on: 20 February, 2019, 09:19:53 am »
I'm at the end of my build phase now (last week of real work). Today's VO2 Max intervals were OK in terms of aerobic effort, but my back is playing up when I try to maintain the higher power longer than a minute or so. I was hoping to get my FTP boosted up before I get to speciality, but I don't think I'm going to get much of a boost for the last 3 weeks... I did 3 of the 9 VO2 intervals and then quit and did some sweet spot work in the aero position instead. I really need to get my act together and do some core stuff or this is going to have a big impact on my season. :(
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/50907773-kaiser-2

Phil W

« Reply #1431 on: 20 February, 2019, 03:33:30 pm »
Warm up, 5 x 3 min Vo2 max, 3 min recovery, warm down.  This workout almost killed me last week, seem to have handled it better this week. Still I was so happy when it ticked over to the warm down period.  I am enjoying the cycling podcasts I listen to whilst doing these. 

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1432 on: 23 February, 2019, 01:20:15 pm »
i had to do a ramp test today, which i kinda did, but couldn't push myself as legs still felt a bit stiff after the 269km on wednesday. i discarded the result and will do a retest in few days time. as i was sat on a turbo anyway, i did a two hour endurance workout (boarstone) to feel less of a failure ;D.

simonp

« Reply #1433 on: 23 February, 2019, 02:02:59 pm »
Boarstone is my scheduled ride today.

Currently in the process of trying to re-fit the rear calliper but it's time for the rugby. I'm hoping for an outdoor ride later to avoid 2h on the turbo.

I'm doing ramp test on Tuesday, all being well.

Phil W

« Reply #1434 on: 23 February, 2019, 04:30:37 pm »
Went out for a 100km ride today. Foggy start which cleared mid morning to Spring like conditions.  Hill walk and pub lunch tomorrow then a VO2 max session on turbo on Monday.  Chain has a problem link so will have to sort that out first. Suspect chain needs replacing considering when I bought it.

rob

« Reply #1435 on: 23 February, 2019, 05:17:44 pm »
Shocking few weeks at work so sacked off the Thu night turbo work, booked Friday off and did 210k round Norfolk in stunning conditions.   The good news is I can still rattle round a 200k at a decent pace with minimal stops and my handle only ached a little at the end.

Did a couple of hours of recovery this morning and I’m now contemplating tomorrow’s planned 2hr turbo session.   Too nice outside, innit ?

« Reply #1436 on: 23 February, 2019, 08:46:47 pm »
Got a rotten cold, skipped Thursdays workout and todays. :( I spent most of my day dozing or wishing I was dozing, so riding a bike is definitely not on the cards for a few more days. By the time I get back on the bike (probably Thursday?) I bet I'll have lost all the gains from the whole build cycle. :(

rob

« Reply #1437 on: 24 February, 2019, 07:39:55 pm »
Did the 2hr turbo. Regretted it.  Something not quite right at the moment.

« Reply #1438 on: 24 February, 2019, 07:55:39 pm »
200km in your legs...?

I had a fairly hard 90 min turbo this morning. Was gong to join club run for a gentle recovery ride afterwards, but legs were feeling it so I rode to the park to play in sand pit with daughter instead.

Good news that your hands is OK for 200km

rob

« Reply #1439 on: 24 February, 2019, 08:32:46 pm »
I had a gentle day off between the 2, but you’re probably right.   Expecting a bit too much of myself as usual.   This has been my biggest week since last September.

simonp

« Reply #1440 on: 24 February, 2019, 08:34:49 pm »
So I got out on the bike today. I was going to do it yesterday but the brake bleeding process was time consuming, so I ended up doing today's 1h30 (Brasstown) yesterday on the turbo as it was dark by the time I was finished.

Today had a few things to get done and then had to transfer various things off my fixie that I'd done the Transporter 200k on in November, and then went out for a couple of hours. That's my first outdoor ride this year.

« Reply #1441 on: 24 February, 2019, 09:21:37 pm »
I thought I'd been slack waiting till last weekend to go outside!

simonp

« Reply #1442 on: 24 February, 2019, 10:05:57 pm »
I thought I'd been slack waiting till last weekend to go outside!

Yerbut I’ve done loads of rowing on the water in freezing conditions.

« Reply #1443 on: 25 February, 2019, 10:41:27 am »
GPLama and DC Rainmaker both rate the Wahoo Tickr/Tickr X; which supports both BTE and ANT+.

Thanks for the recommendation: Tickr working well when the Garmin would have failed.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #1444 on: 25 February, 2019, 09:06:57 pm »
Not done too much training recently, a week of commuting to my Bikeability instructor course, then a day off followed by smashing two hills to take a significant chunk of time off my Strava PBs to take the lead in a local hill climb challenge.

The leg strength seems to be returning.

LMT

« Reply #1445 on: 25 February, 2019, 09:32:14 pm »
You're smashing it Trev - keep going.

simonp

« Reply #1446 on: 26 February, 2019, 08:41:23 pm »
Good to hear that is in the normal range - I didn't know what to expect

I've added up my weeks and I can do base-base-build-speciality with two weeks to spare. 
I expect I'll either lose those to holidays, or else I'll repeat a base / build week somewhere along the way.

Ramp test done. +4W. We’re identical FTP increase buddies!

« Reply #1447 on: 27 February, 2019, 10:36:42 am »
Congratulations on your 4w gain from a month of hard slog!

« Reply #1448 on: 27 February, 2019, 05:08:26 pm »
After a few months of doing basically nothing & illness, i'm back!

Tried to do an FTP test last week & just didn't have it in me at all.  Last time I tested it was 215, so I've randomly dropped it to 200 for now & will see how the first few weeks of "Sweet Spot Base Mid" goes, so far I've managed the session but pretty sloppy by the end, it's maybe still harder than it should be...

If all else fails, I may have to test in the middle of the base plan.  Either way, by the time the next test workout comes round I should be in mental and physical shape to give it a proper go.

I figure 6 weeks base, 2 weeks holiday, 8 weeks build, 8 weeks speciality, then 2 weeks taper & it'll be PBP  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1449 on: 27 February, 2019, 09:48:05 pm »
Yes, definitely worth throwing in a ramp test once you have been going for a week or two and blown the initial cobwebs off.