Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1604033 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #10775 on: 31 January, 2019, 10:35:22 am »
Oh no! Not today.  Today is not a good day for a power cut.  :(
Bum bum buggery bum.

Edit.
Phew.  Back on after only 20 minutes.   :)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10776 on: 31 January, 2019, 11:26:43 am »
No. Not even to keep you warm.

;D ;D ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10777 on: 01 February, 2019, 01:54:05 pm »
My tramp round the village this morning revealed that only about a third of households have bothered to clear the snow off their pavements.  >:(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10778 on: 02 February, 2019, 12:57:14 am »
My tramp round the village this morning revealed that only about a third of households have bothered to clear the snow off their pavements.  >:(
A funny part of UK law is that you are potentially responsible if someone slips in a pavement you’ve cleared, but have no liability if they slip on a pavement you haven’t cleared. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10779 on: 02 February, 2019, 08:40:09 am »
Not here: you get it done by 7h30 or you're liable. And thereafter you keep it clear until about 10 pm, which is a bit surreal if you go out to work.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10780 on: 02 February, 2019, 06:45:44 pm »
A funny part of UK law is that you are potentially responsible if someone slips in a pavement you’ve cleared, but have no liability if they slip on a pavement you haven’t cleared.

Civil law, so there is a test of reasonableness to be had as well.  i.e. if you clear it to get yourself to work, it then partially thaws and re-freezes, how could you be held responsible?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10781 on: 03 February, 2019, 09:54:44 am »
Cracked back rim on Trek so switched to old Ti bike yesterday.  Looked at my maintenance notes for same this morning. Last entry: "8/05/2015: Back wheel to be replaced soon."

OK, it's only done around 200 km since, but still.

essexian

« Reply #10782 on: 05 February, 2019, 09:36:11 am »
I wish to register a grumble about my partners breathing and my wish that she would stop doing so….

Okay, before you suggest I seek help quickly for my murderous intent, I feel I should explain that it is her breathing at night which gets on my nerves namely that her breathing rate is much quicker than mine so if I am awake I find it difficult not to find myself trying to match her rate which leaves me over breathing.

She doesn’t seemed inclined to cease breathing at night so I guess I will have to wear ear plugs.  :facepalm:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10783 on: 05 February, 2019, 12:39:01 pm »
In general, small animals have a higher breathing rate than larger ones...

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #10784 on: 05 February, 2019, 12:41:42 pm »
Thus, if synchronised breathing is important to you, pick on someone your own size  :)

« Reply #10785 on: 05 February, 2019, 12:54:38 pm »
Thus, if synchronised breathing is important to you, pick on someone your own size  :)

Or read up on tantric sex.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #10786 on: 05 February, 2019, 01:01:39 pm »
Watching Netflix in France is a bit weird. Foreign films often have French subtitles only, so we find ourselves watching films with English audio and French subtitles.  MrsT needs them but I can usually get along without; but I find them impossible to ignore so I'm always comparing the translation with what was said.  It's amazing how much shorter the text can get when fuck and fucking are left out.

More annoying is where you are watching a fillum originally in forrin, overdubbed with English, but need the subtitles on too.

The former and the latter rarely match up.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #10787 on: 05 February, 2019, 01:24:50 pm »
I wish to register a grumble about my partners breathing and my wish that she would stop doing so….

Okay, before you suggest I seek help quickly for my murderous intent, I feel I should explain that it is her breathing at night which gets on my nerves namely that her breathing rate is much quicker than mine so if I am awake I find it difficult not to find myself trying to match her rate which leaves me over breathing.

She doesn’t seemed inclined to cease breathing at night so I guess I will have to wear ear plugs.  :facepalm:

I have noticed this in my wife. I suspect it is due to her asthma so she substitutes frequency for depth.
May be worth mentioning and checking.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10788 on: 05 February, 2019, 09:08:59 pm »

I have the solution to this : go to sleep before she does
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10789 on: 06 February, 2019, 07:16:00 am »
Or make her sleep with her head stuck out the window
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

essexian

« Reply #10790 on: 06 February, 2019, 07:29:50 am »
I do go to bed before her. Me typically between 9 and 10pm, her between midnight and 1am.

However, she manages to wake me up most nights when getting into bed as frankly, she moves the mattress around like no one else....and yes, I know that sounds rude but of course no one on here would consider it such!

Not too bad a nights sleep last night apart from getting an email at 1am telling me I had won a prize on Euromillions. So of course I tried to log in to check but couldn't until 7am. My prize....£3.10!

I can get that new inner tube I have had my eye on now! :facepalm:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10791 on: 06 February, 2019, 08:10:01 am »
I do go to bed before her. Me typically between 9 and 10pm, her between midnight and 1am.

However, she manages to wake me up most nights when getting into bed as frankly, she moves the mattress around like no one else....and yes, I know that sounds rude but of course no one on here would consider it such!

Not too bad a nights sleep last night apart from getting an email at 1am telling me I had won a prize on Euromillions. So of course I tried to log in to check but couldn't until 7am. My prize....£3.10!

I can get that new inner tube I have had my eye on now! :facepalm:

You can always do what I did 25 years ago: build a bed with two single-bed springs & mattresses in the same frame. Stays friendly but you have independent suspension. Doesn't do anything for breathing, though.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10792 on: 06 February, 2019, 09:00:23 am »
Or make her sleep with her head stuck out the window
As Little Richard would have put it
I got a girl, six foot four
Sleeps in the kitchen with her feet out the door
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10793 on: 06 February, 2019, 09:01:42 am »
And in passing: Google Maps persists in labelling the odd restaurant around here "French Restaurant". This is France, you bloody moron: they're ALL French.

« Reply #10794 on: 06 February, 2019, 09:32:19 am »
You can always do what I did 25 years ago: build a bed with two single-bed springs & mattresses in the same frame. Stays friendly but you have independent suspension. Doesn't do anything for breathing, though.

The local (to me) mattress factory - Hypnos - will make you a double mattress with differing spring rates on each side.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10795 on: 06 February, 2019, 01:20:12 pm »

The local (to me) mattress factory - Hypnos - will make you a double mattress with differing spring rates on each side.

I have a John Lewis double mattress with different spring tensions for me and he. Movement is still transmitted.

« Reply #10796 on: 06 February, 2019, 02:39:59 pm »
And in passing: Google Maps persists in labelling the odd restaurant around here "French Restaurant". This is France, you bloody moron: they're ALL French.
But do they serve French food, and none of that foreign muck?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10797 on: 06 February, 2019, 03:12:08 pm »
But do they serve French food, and none of that foreign muck?

God knows. But I noticed that Google has labelled our favourite Thai eatery "Hot Pot restaurant".

essexian

« Reply #10798 on: 07 February, 2019, 08:54:45 am »
No breathing or bouncing bed problems for me last night  ;D ......... CBH decided to sleep at her Mums for the next couple of nights  :facepalm:

No, I am not in the dog house thankfully, but we have three lots of tradespersons working on the house today and tomorrow with the first starting at 8am this morning.

My grumble.... its now nearly 9am and no sign of the tradesperson. Why did I believe they would be here on time???? I mean, its not likely is it!  :facepalm:

ian

« Reply #10799 on: 07 February, 2019, 09:25:51 am »
On time. You're (a) lucky if they turn up at all and (b) on the right day. And if you're blessed with (b), expect them to spend the first hour on their mobile phone, and then spend half the rest of the workday doing the same. They'll probably wander off at some point because 'they need to get some supplies.' And then their battery will die at 3.30pm so they'll have to leave. They'll let you know when they'll 'be back.'