Author Topic: Upper Thames  (Read 35695 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Upper Thames
« Reply #25 on: 12 October, 2012, 10:42:00 am »
Yep - almost certainly in - there's a train from just up the road in Ealing at just after 6am that gets to Cholsey about 7:15 (via just about every small station along the M4 corridor!). 

Great ride last year as I remember it.

Must sort out entry

Entry sorted.  Good ride to bank early in the month for RRtY I am hoping. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Upper Thames
« Reply #26 on: 15 October, 2012, 09:12:45 pm »
I'm in too. My condition is poor and I have put about a stone on so will be crawling up the hills. I will be getting value for money.

This is the start of my build up for LEL.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #27 on: 15 October, 2012, 10:59:51 pm »
The freshest parsnips…

& bananas of perfect ripeness…

NOBODY DOES IT BETTER !!
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

« Reply #28 on: 16 October, 2012, 08:56:16 pm »
Looking forward to this.  A great ride  :)

See you all there!

« Reply #29 on: 18 October, 2012, 07:00:36 am »
I'm in

« Reply #30 on: 21 October, 2012, 04:05:37 pm »
63 entries to date.  Space for plenty more!

The leaf colour here is becoming quite spectacular - hopefully they won't all have fallen off by Nov 3rd

I shall be riding the route on Thursday and report on any problems on the ThamesValleyAudax website which all entrants should have details of.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #31 on: 21 October, 2012, 05:41:17 pm »
63 entries to date.  Space for plenty more!

The leaf colour here is becoming quite spectacular - hopefully they won't all have fallen off by Nov 3rd
Phil, please save a brevet card for me!  I've just tried to enter but find that my paypal account needed to be topped up, which will take a few days to clear.  I don't need routesheets or any of that paper stuff.

Leaf colour is excellent - just got off the M40 at Thame rather than Lewknor in order to give the mother-in-law a ride through the trees (she's from urban Stoke-on-Trent and thinks that Pangbourne is in the country  ???)
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #32 on: 26 October, 2012, 05:04:12 pm »
Rode the route yesterday (in the company of StephenR OTP and Mick Simmons).  After we had left the drizzly Chilterns behind we had a reasonable day out; a bit windy at times, but unusually the wind was on our backs from Bicester to Chipping Norton.

I've put a few comments on the TVA website (all entrants should have the link for this).  There is possibly (but it looks increasingly unlikely) a road closure, and if it is in place will almost certainly not be possible to walk through.  I will monitor the situation and provide an alternative to that section of the route if it becomes necessary.

Tree colours were exceptional, and likely even better in a week if we don't get heavy frosts.  There was a lot of leaf fall in places, but generally not making the roads any worse than usual.  We had no problems on the route (except for having to navigate a whole load of electricity works in several different places; these should all be finished, except perhaps for those in Duns Tew, by the time of the event).

A couple of people have expressed difficulty printing the routesheet from the website.  This is best done by downloading the file (click the down arrow on the right of the file name) rather than printing directly from the stored file.  If you still cannot get it to print correctly send me an email and I'll reply with the file (in pdf form if preferred).

I have also been contacted about the gpx files, which were generated for eTrex devices (which is what I use).  These files are causing some problems for Edge (particularly 800) users.  If anyone has successfully converted my files to Edge 800 format I would love to have a copy to post on the site.  But please, not self-produced files - I don't want to be responsible for anyone else's errors!

Edited to add, 77 entries now.  I've ordered 100 cards.

« Reply #33 on: 28 October, 2012, 06:43:00 pm »
Did this last year and really enjoyed it (had a few good tows, which helped) so good luck to all who do it. I will be in a car (sorry) on the way to Wales this year. We'll wave if we take the back route through Chipping Norton.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #34 on: 29 October, 2012, 09:52:15 pm »
Signed up but no idea if I'll be in the country to ride it.

HK is definitely out, she'll be flying back into the country.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #35 on: 30 October, 2012, 07:12:24 pm »
I'm in  :thumbsup:  Just entered by paypal (phild - like last year, you'll find the payment in my wife's name).
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #36 on: 30 October, 2012, 09:31:16 pm »
I'm in  :thumbsup:  Just entered by paypal (phild - like last year, you'll find the payment in my wife's name).

Seen it, and responded, thanks.

Chris S

« Reply #37 on: 30 October, 2012, 10:28:25 pm »
Although Marmitegeoff is going, I think we'll be bringing our own chain-tool with us this time, just in case  :).

« Reply #38 on: 31 October, 2012, 08:33:10 pm »
I will still bring mine along, just in case

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #39 on: 31 October, 2012, 11:55:41 pm »
Thanks for putting up with us late entries phil!

Looking forward to this, 77 entries as well!
Not looking forward to the early start and dash for the train though...

« Reply #40 on: 01 November, 2012, 08:09:46 am »
89 now.  That includes those of us who rode the route a few days ago to check it.

Which reminds me - the possible road closure referred to in the ride notes appears not to be starting until next Monday, so the routesheet stands as it is.

« Reply #41 on: 01 November, 2012, 10:01:00 pm »
Do you really like Marmite, Geoff?

« Reply #42 on: 02 November, 2012, 08:30:19 am »
Do you really like Marmite, Geoff?

YES  but I am not allowed to eat as much as I would like.  too much salt.   :'(

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #43 on: 03 November, 2012, 06:49:54 pm »
Superb day out if a little chilly and windy at points. I forgot just how good this route is, lovely lanes, some fabulous views. Huge field meant for a good sociable day!

I found it tough going today - not sure why but the legs had very little to give. Glad to have been picked up by some fast groups a couple of times!

Everyone organising deserves special thanks - hard to fault. Brilliant.

Next up the dinner dart and then the south bucks winter warmer in December.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #44 on: 03 November, 2012, 07:53:30 pm »
A lovely day made all the better as rain was expected.   Mr and Mrs Dyson's joint effort provided an excellent route, greatly improved with a diversion away from Sonning Common.  The awful hill down from Bix claimed at least one P******e victim, but there is no real alternative.  A faultless route description eventually bought us back to the real reason for riding, and that is the huge spread of quality food / soup / pasta etc that Mrs Dyson is famous for.  The big field and good Controls allowed for a sociable day and as well as the company on occaision of some good companions I was able to chat to Teethgrinder for a while - a real priveledge.

« Reply #45 on: 03 November, 2012, 08:55:51 pm »
That was fun. :D

Highlights that I can think of. (I've probably forgot a few)

The Autumnal scenes in the Chilterns. I do like riding through woodland in the Autumn.
Seeing so many people on fixed, even though they weren't using a sensible gear like I was. But, whatever.
Managing to ride up the Stoke Row hill on my sensible gear. :smug:
Seeing so many people out on the ride. Whoda thunk it on a November 200?
Chatting with some of those people.
Comedy Charlie Chaplin moment on a descent. Flying down a hill with lots of bends and there's a man walking in the road with a ladder. As I come round the corner, he decides that this would be an excellent time to walk across the road without checking that anything (like me, for example) is coming up behind him. Que for the ladder to rotate as the man makes his way across the road. :o ;D
2 counts of my, "A few," line to newbies asking me if I've done any Audax before.
Getting a tow from Jeff/Geoff, who knows mattc and whose home was used as the finish of mattc's 600. Just when I needed it too, I was getting a bit feeble at the end, but he helped me recover a bit. We did bit and bit and had a chat.
The descent into Bix, which I expect most won't have liked very much. It bought back memories of riding the Crackpot. I have a bit of a perversion for those grotty lanes. If you enjoyed it, then I'd recommend the Wessex SR next year. (It's not all like that)
The pasta at the finish, which seemed to have magical healing powers. My legs hurt at the finish, but when I got up to ride home after the pasta, they felt OK better. It even tasted good too. :thumbsup:

I hope the man who crashed is OK. He told me he was, but he packed not long after. :(

I hope the headwind wasn't too rough on the slower riders too. It was a bit of a bugger and had me down to 13mph at times.

Also hope that the two ladies I saw walking up the Stoke Row hill got round OK and they didn't get demoralized by some loony riding past them on fixed. I might have been more encouraging if my head wasn't filled with, "Nnnnncomeonpedalsturnwillyannnnnnnn :sick:nnnnnnn."

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #46 on: 03 November, 2012, 09:42:08 pm »
I was that p**ture victim.  Had been tempting fate when riding 100 miles in the Chilterns two weeks before after heavy rain and, despite all the p***ture fairy eggs hatching came away with tyres unscathed (well save for 5+ flints dug out when cleaning the bike).  However, served to give me a good cob to fly back past the field.

The headwinds to Chipping Norton were a chore but the views were a delight.  Top route.  Back to HQ in daylight to test out the LEL pasta sauce recipe which seemed to scale up nicely.  ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #47 on: 03 November, 2012, 09:43:48 pm »
PS - was the first time I've ever ridden 100 miles+ on the 3rd of a month.  Just need to do a century on a 31st now to get the complete set.  Don't ask me how I know that  O:-)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #48 on: 03 November, 2012, 09:58:50 pm »
Excellent day out and rode with several different people and about 100k alone. Started off with me catching up to CrazyEnglishTriathlete only to have him puncturing in the Chilterns, then a nice tailwind-ish stretch from Wallingford up to the first control. Hooked up with Peter (don't know your YACF name Peter...) from then onto the Chipping Norton control and picked up Steve (bianchiboy) and a friend.

Rode with them after a relativizing full English into the hills south, but I was riding a bit strong (must have been the coffee!) and pressed on for the next 40k odd alone before catching the Dulwich Paragon trio with about 35k to go. Flew back into Cholsey with them with the wind at our backs, but decided to skip the food on offer and headed straight for the train station, managing to get on the 5.10pm back to London. Did this one about an hour quicker than last year :D

That's to Phil and helpers for putting on a brilliant audax once again!

« Reply #49 on: 03 November, 2012, 10:18:18 pm »

Hooked up with Peter (don't know your YACF name Peter..
Hello...YACF name is PAC...thanks for the company today  :)but you were going at a cracking pace!  Bianchiboy, Brymbo and another chap called Jordon who we picked up on the way came in shortly after you'd left.

Great day out which ended up being 248k including riding to & from Cholsey - Thanks Phil for organising another great event & thanks Mary for the superb food :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.