Author Topic: The Highlands, Glens & Western Isles - Monday, July 21st 2014  (Read 112887 times)

Re: The Highlands, Glens & Western Isles - Monday, July 21st 2014
« Reply #750 on: 23 September, 2014, 01:19:57 pm »
Nice to see this ride has finally made it's way out of "provisional" status.  Which means I now get my HR  :thumbsup:
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #751 on: 23 September, 2014, 10:02:32 pm »
Me too :thumbsup: I feel completely hyper now.

Well, except for my legs :facepalm:

simonp

« Reply #752 on: 23 September, 2014, 11:07:21 pm »
Not even a double SR for me, due to DNF on the Kernow 600k.

« Reply #753 on: 20 October, 2014, 08:12:39 am »
Hi all

The TV programme about this event will likely be broadcast early December.  It'll be screened on BBC-2 Scotland, and that channel is available in the rest of the UK (and parts of Europe) on Sky and Freesat.  It will also be on the iPlayer.

BBC Scotland will only give us 2 weeks notice of the transmission date, so Triple Echo Productions will have a short window to maximise publicity.

Apart from this forum, and the good folk at Audax UK (who I've also contacted) where else would you suggest we publicise this please? 

Oh - and even though I shot a lot of it I haven't seen the programme yet!

Thanks
Simon

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #754 on: 20 October, 2014, 08:26:13 am »
The Facebook group. L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #756 on: 20 October, 2014, 04:46:19 pm »
Apart from this forum, and the good folk at Audax UK (who I've also contacted) where else would you suggest we publicise this please? 

Despite some good-natured beards-and-sandals ribbing, I reckon road.cc would be keen to publicise a programme like this.

« Reply #757 on: 20 October, 2014, 10:44:26 pm »
CTC have a weekly email newsletter CycleClips with a good circulation to c.60k members, so a good humoured paragraph to them with details would be good.
Their press office is at
publicity@ctc.org.uk

and I will tell my contacts too  ;D

« Reply #758 on: 22 October, 2014, 05:31:23 pm »
all good - please keep 'em coming…
S

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #759 on: 28 October, 2014, 11:50:41 am »
Hi Folks,

Message from one of the camera operators:
Hi,

The TV programme about the Highlands and Islands Audax is scheduled for transmission early December.  I haven't seen it yet but I have spoken to Triple Echo who are currently putting the finishing touches to the edit.

The BBC will give just two-weeks advance notice of the transmission date.  We'll use those two weeks to maximise publicity for the programme, both in newspapers and online.  That's why I'm contacting you (us the riders - Dave C).

Do you have any top-notch photos that capture the spirit of this amazing event are are just crying out to be published?

I'm looking for a shot with cyclists on bikes in amazing scenery, ideally not posing or smiling into the lens.  Yes, it would have been good if we had taken those shots while we were filming but we didn't.  Stills taken from our video footage aren't good enough for publication.

If you think you might have something which would work, I'd be hugely grateful if you could send me a small copy first.  If we think it could work, then I'll ask you to send a higher resolution version.

I'd like to offer you a fortune in return, but on this occasion you'll have to settle for fame.  That is on its way…

All the best. S.

Simon can be contacted on simon.willis@me.com and Triple Echo can be found through Google and their contact page.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

simonp

« Reply #760 on: 28 October, 2014, 12:03:23 pm »
Sadly, I didn't get any decent pics with other cyclists in them.

« Reply #761 on: 29 October, 2014, 10:04:49 am »
What about British Cycling & and asking people to post on their club forums.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #762 on: 29 October, 2014, 03:11:33 pm »
thanks Dave_C, i've emailed a set to Simon. shame i couldn't take more photos due to the injured thumb - the views were amazing!

« Reply #763 on: 29 October, 2014, 03:56:03 pm »
Great photos and scenery---envious---Scotland is always like that  ;D

see here ---

Near Glenuig this summer, mind you midgies in `full song` indeed ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #764 on: 29 October, 2014, 04:05:40 pm »
We were in Lochinver at the beginning of this month, no midges then, but we did have some rainy days.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #766 on: 30 October, 2014, 12:35:20 pm »
Sadly, I know exactly where that is.

so pretty, that road. i want to repeat the northern part of this audax someday.

« Reply #767 on: 30 October, 2014, 03:19:22 pm »

I know what you mean Rimas,  :thumbsup:

I've a route that's about 1200km. Start/finishat Oban (so no ferry excitement), and misses-out the bit along Loch Ness. The route also splits-up the west coast into two, so there's the chance to get a breather from rolling terrain. There's still the best bits, but without the busy southern roads.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #768 on: 30 October, 2014, 03:44:23 pm »
Maybe someone could contact Pat, he was taking lots of pics, including some cycling action shots, which was what Simon was asking for  :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #769 on: 30 October, 2014, 05:05:51 pm »

I now what you mean Rimas,  :thumbsup:

I've a route that's about 1200km. Start/finishat Oban (so no ferry excitement), and misses-out the bit along Loch Ness. The route also splits-up the west coast into two, so there's the chance to get a breather from rolling terrain. There's still the best bits, but without the busy southern roads.
For Pete's sake get on with publishing this; I need a good excuse to not ride PBP!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #770 on: 30 October, 2014, 07:21:05 pm »
Sadly, I know exactly where that is.

The Drumbeg Road, North of Lochinver is of a similar character, but with more climbs. We did the North Coast one day, and the bit you did, and the Drumbeg Road the following day in 2004. It was midsummer, and 5 degrees C on the Saturday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU2n9ztQq7w

The National 400 is up that way next year, I don't know the route though.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
It is simpler than it looks.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #772 on: 31 October, 2014, 03:39:35 pm »
We were in Lochinver at the beginning of this month, no midges then, but we did have some rainy days.

I tried finding where you took the phot from on google street view, but it was very difficult! I thought you were on th south side of the inlet/bay but its obviously taken from the north, but heck! it looks much further away in the street view, is this a zoomed in shot? Cheers,
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #773 on: 31 October, 2014, 05:10:12 pm »
It's taken from the breakwater, looking South East. It's a good spot at sunset. You can't go along the breakwater on Street View. There's a good view of Quinag from there as well.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Lochinver,+Lairg,+Highland+IV27/@58.147366,-5.2510966,3a,75y,356.86h,91.35t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1spQPabUB2Q1vxwUauObKbsQ!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x488e2fb0393e76ad:0xaa341e9a235885d0?hl=en

« Reply #774 on: 31 October, 2014, 06:03:13 pm »
The view's not bad looking the other way.