Author Topic: Tell us about your last audax ride of the 2013-2014 season  (Read 6070 times)

Tell us about your last audax ride of the 2013-2014 season
« on: 28 September, 2014, 09:29:29 am »
What was your last audax of the season?

Mine was a very hilly 200 km DIY from Malvern, via the best bits of Herefordshire and into Wales finally ended up at Bucknell where the other half was racing.  It required a 3 am alarm and 3:30 start time to make sure I got there in time, but was worth every lost hour of sleep.  It was indeed my finest DIY route to date, I just wish I had done it earlier in the summer so I could have seen the gorgeous lanes around Woolhope and Garway as only the slight silhouettes of the hills was visible in the light pollution of Herefordshire.  The mornings have drawn in quick!

After Grosmont and Hay began the stunning trip over the top to Painscastle and Hundred House, just wonderful to be up top.  This was the only place I stopped to grab photos.  It was grey with a little drizzle in the morning making the descents somewhat treacherous at times, but still so warm and the jacket never came out of the saddlebag.  Moody skies make being over 400 meters even better.  Always feel at home on the Welsh hills. 

Eventually I passed through Llandrindod and, not needing supplies, didn’t stop but headed on resolutely to Llanidloes.  I had to pick up the A44 for a short-but-loud-and-frantic stretch before dropping back into tranquil roads.  Llanidloes is my favourite Mid Wales town.  I sat eating crisps on the window ledge of the newsagents watching the weekly market and listening to music feeling pretty tired, but knowing it wasn’t far to Bucknell. 

Not far, but hilly, with relentless undulations to Llanbister and again a steep lurch up to the Llanbister moorland.  Then I thought it ‘It’s mostly downhill now’…..

…I had neglected to realise I had sent myself along the most wonderful lane in Powys - Rookery Lane.  Good job I love it so much I forgot I was tired and the climb back up to 400 meters was enveloped in the ever-increasingly-autumn scenery with golden bracken lining the roadside and heavy crops of berries in the hedgerows. 

It was a great end to the audax season.  I plan to turn the route into a circular 300 km next summer, to bring me back home again and loose the ‘Golden Valley’ section to Hay, which I just can’t stand.  Horrid draggy false flat, dull road and very fast cars.  There must be a better way, maybe via Urishay.  I will also tweak the route to head up over Coed Esgair-Rhiw to add more climbing and minimise the dangerous A44 and then head home to Malvern along the lanes of North Worcestershire. 

This is the route I did yesterday for those interested http://ridewithgps.com/trips/3531836
Does not play well with others

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Tell us about your last audax ride of the 2013-2014 season
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2014, 10:05:43 am »
Mine was quite special, not for the ride itself, but because it was the first 200k my son did.

We rode the Mildenhall 200, a pleasant journey through Suffolk and Norfolk with lots of good cafes and no serious hills.  It rained a bit in the afternoon, but we managed to get round in a very good time considering CET Junior is still only 13.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2014, 10:46:17 am »
Can't write too much as I'm currently only about 1/3 the way round the Wylye and Ebble Valley 200. Good weather and good company.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2014, 11:27:51 am »
My last is also my first of the next season.....
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2014, 11:36:40 am »
Can't write too much as I'm currently only about 1/3 the way round the Wylye and Ebble Valley 200. Good weather and good company.

That's quite funny that you stopped to check up on the forum LWaB.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2014, 11:56:13 am »
A 240kms -- DIY 200.

From down under in Perth -- PAP start is 6th Oct 5.00am -- as I have  ridden the flat 80kms route in from Pinjarra several times -- I thought that last week I would check out the lumpy 100kms before Pinjarra. So early train out of Perth to Mandurah , ride to Pinjarra and then track towards Williams  thru Dwellingup and turn at Quindanning at an attractive ( in Oz terms)  pub. Back up the Hotham valley - big bauxite mining area -- and slowly thru the Darling ranges to Dwellingup.  Now I know what I shall be faced with from 200kms out -- and there is certainly 30 to 40kms of that which is going to be really HARD going for me.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2014, 12:33:56 pm »
A Cotswold Corker 100 Perm day on Fri 26 Sep to bring my AAA total to 25 and to check my fitness (neck injury in March) after our (with Shirl my wife to Cardigan Coast) walking break and before I restore my 200km AAA riding.

I attacked Bushcombe on Rourkie (low gears); near the top my breathing was hurting; must be the neck plate. My HR was around 180, which was around my max, so I gave in for the last upper section, rather than cause more throat trouble. I maximised use of low gears.

Northleach gave me a shock. After TL @ TRL and heading for Town Centre, a cyclist appears at a junction to my L and, without looking my way, proceeded to pass across my path, not even turning L to travel my way (I now assume he was heading (local gent who lived close by) for the pavement on the other side!). At 17mph (gps-verified!) I was at a loss to avoid him. I did not and hit him centrally. No bike damage but another helmet write-off at rear R side. After I emitted many expletives, his 'excuse' was he did not hear anything coming (Car?). We exchanged details and he immediately transferred cash to my bank a/c to replace the helmet. I continued to the Black Cat café for a breather, before continuing the lanes. No Lardies in Bisley, so bananas were my buy. The remaining ride was smooth with traffic heavy after Brimpsfield (Friday block on the A417!), even traffic on the definite single track lane to Cowley.

What a way to end the year. At least I salvaged a late season SR to bring up SR No 18.

Cannot wait for 1 October when I hope to complete RRTY 20!!!
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

LMT

« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2014, 12:43:32 pm »
The Flatlands 600.

A glorious adventure, no rain, a bit of Fenland Wind. A superb ride on good roads and with good controls.

« Reply #8 on: 28 September, 2014, 07:43:18 pm »
Hay in a Day 200. Was great. Interesting to note that I am not the only person who finds the Golden Valley mind-numblingly boring and annoying.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9 on: 28 September, 2014, 07:49:19 pm »
I did a 600km gps diy on Lewis and Harris. It got me my first SR series, which includes an AAA SR series, an Audax Ecosse SR series, a solo GPS SR series (all in the Outer Hebrides) and took me over 20 AAA pts for the year. A great season, I even organised my first ever events :)

Bairn Again

« Reply #10 on: 28 September, 2014, 08:04:29 pm »
Mine was The Three Glens Explorer 160k, extended by ECE rides to the start and from the finish into a 200. 

Nice easy flat 25k ride to the start in perfect conditions and in time for muffins, tea and a blether before the 9.30 start. 

Lovely event, highlights included the climb of Dunning Glen in the unseasonably warm sun, Gleneagles bustling a full week ahead of the ryder cup, the kelpies near Falkirk and a table groaning under the weight of home made caik at the finish.

Nice to catch up with faces new and old among the field of almost 80.

Valedictory 25k ride home at a dawdle!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #11 on: 28 September, 2014, 08:12:00 pm »
Mine was the Old Military Roads 400k from Stonehaven to Inverness and back, over every hill that could be found along the way.

I got to ride some roads I've never ridden before; in particular Glen Kyllachy on the approach to Inverness.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #12 on: 28 September, 2014, 08:22:40 pm »
Mine was the Bristol v's Hackney 400, good fun and something a bit different.
It felt strange being with a group of Audax riders riding past Buckingham Palace and stopping to take pictures on Tower bridge.

I had planned to ride a perm tomorrow but I was supposed to be having a quiet season so I'm going to have a lie in.  ;D
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #13 on: 28 September, 2014, 09:10:57 pm »
I was with him ^^. My first long ride on my 'new' bike.  ;D

It was good to ride an arrow-like event in a bigger group (10-12), except when trying to negotiate London roads together at 6-8pm on a Saturday eve.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 28 September, 2014, 09:34:07 pm »

That's quite funny that you stopped to check up on the forum LWaB.

Free wifi, a short wait till my food arrived and nobody else at my table. What else would I have done?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #15 on: 28 September, 2014, 09:53:58 pm »
Ditchling devil, some time ago. I have managed a 200 and 2 100's in my first year. Would be nice to do 5 next year. Already have the winchelsea 100 coming up.

« Reply #16 on: 28 September, 2014, 10:15:43 pm »
It was my first ever DNF  :'(

A midnight start for a solo 600... the aim was to donate some money and surprise my Mum who was having an emotional Macmillan coffee morning...  I got there, but on the way back had to ride a few hours on a severely pringled back wheel after straightening it a bit using a 5-bar gate & removing my back brakes.  At 497k I had to admit it was silly and call for rescue :(

On the plus side I had my first experience of an Audax hotel - 25mins worked a treat!   :smug:

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #17 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:08:45 am »
Cambrian Series 2B 200k. Nice route on a good day with some hills. First go at one of those rides.
Always good to go to Wales to ride!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #18 on: 29 September, 2014, 06:10:55 am »
Hellfire - Started on Friday 26th Sep
After the ride on Saturday, I nodded-off on a bench at Poole Station waiting for the 20:54 to London drinking Carlsburg Extra and wrapped in a space blanket.  Like some kind of 'techno tramp'.

« Reply #19 on: 29 September, 2014, 07:20:05 am »
Flatlands 600k, nice ride to end the season after missing it last year.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #20 on: 29 September, 2014, 08:16:42 am »
Wylye and Ebble Valley 200 I did think in my naivety that with two valleys and no AAA this would be  flatish...2700 mtrs my lumpiest to date (suspect I am lanterne rouge) and magnificent top of the range English Countryside.    Great to meet some of you face to face.  Most importantly  largest slice of chocolate cake of the season at the Rare Breeds Farm control.
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #21 on: 29 September, 2014, 11:21:12 am »
Venetian Nights 200. Glorious. On the tandem.

I've had a thoroughly shite year- worse than 2012 when I broke my wrist days before the Easter Arrow.
This year I lost my job and my house, and nearly lost My Mr Smith. Getting the mojo to ride your bike all day has been tough but I've slogged away at miserable DIYs on the fixed all year.

It was bloody lovely to finish a ride and better than that, actually enjoy it.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #22 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:18:30 pm »
Wylye and Ebble Valley 200 I did think in my naivety that with two valleys and no AAA this would be  flatish...2700 mtrs my lumpiest to date (suspect I am lanterne rouge) and magnificent top of the range English Countryside.    Great to meet some of you face to face.  Most importantly  largest slice of chocolate cake of the season at the Rare Breeds Farm control.

This one.

Not sure if we met Cycling Daddy.  I think I was in the middle of the bunch somewhere.  I was the fatter of the two people wearing PBP 2011 jerseys (Priddy being the one doing it justice).

Not many flat sections on this ride.  Thankfully it finished on the flat, Marwell Zoo, run-in to Denmead and not the Hambledon road we used to leave.

Superb end to a season (not that my Audax season really got going this year).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #23 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:24:35 pm »
A spin around the Dean 300 permanent. The forest was looking fantastic in September sunshine. My audax season pretty much started with the calendar event in March so a good way to close out the year.

« Reply #24 on: 29 September, 2014, 01:24:04 pm »
Last leg of the Autumn tour, Berwick to Glasgow. Excellent. Write up to follow but house stuff to do first.  :facepalm: O:-)