Author Topic: PBP PRE-REGISTRATION  (Read 6221 times)

PBP PRE-REGISTRATION
« on: 23 October, 2014, 06:59:47 am »
Just found these dates on the pre-registration, but not sure how accurate they are -

1000km+ – 26th April 2015
600km – 3rd May 2015
400km – 10th May 2015
300km – 17th May 2015
200km – 24th May 2015

http://www.sportstoursinternational.co.uk/cycling/paris-brest-paris

Re: PBP PRE-REGISTRATION
« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2014, 07:07:22 am »
Just found these dates on the pre-registration, but not sure how accurate they are -

Those are right.  The definitive answer to all such questions is at www.paris-brest-paris.org/index2.php?lang=en&cat=inscription&page=comment_sinscrire1

« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2014, 12:39:28 pm »
Does anyone know if there is a definite page somewhere that identifies all the requirements for bike and rider for PBP?

I have read somewhere that tri-bars are not allowed (but I don't think I've seen that formally).
I have read (on YACF) about the requirement for gillet and non-flashing lights (I assume there are French law, but I haven't seen that formally).

What's the rules on helmets? mudguards? anything else different to riding an Audax event in the UK?  Same rules for Vedettes and 84/90hr?

There must be thousands of perspective PBP entrants around the world with the same queries, so surly a page somewhere? 

http://www.paris-brest-paris.org/index2.php?lang=en&cat=randonnee&page=reglement isn't especially helpfull ::-)
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 23 October, 2014, 12:49:16 pm »
Mike. Just wait. I am hoping the reflective gilet debate will start soon and reach at least 40 pages. It was the highlight of 2011.

Helmets and mudguards are optional.

Tribars, bullhorns etc. are all banned.

Lights - can't remember. They can't flash though.

At the scrutiny, they shake the bike, make sure nothing falls off. Turn lights on. And you show them your reflective. Takes minutes.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #4 on: 23 October, 2014, 01:04:35 pm »
Cheers Marcus.  That is genuinely the best PBP bike/rider requirements summary I've read.  :)

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2014, 01:10:29 pm »
Try this http://www.paris-brest-paris.org/en/download/PLAQUETTE-GB.pdf

However it doesn't mention what colour valve caps you need so you may need to contact the organisers direct on that one: jg.faburel@audax-club-parisien.com
Mojo is being awakened.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2014, 01:15:44 pm »
Mike. Just wait. I am hoping the reflective gilet debate will start soon and reach at least 40 pages. It was the highlight of 2011.

Helmets and mudguards are optional.

Tribars, bullhorns etc. are all banned.

Lights - can't remember. They can't flash though.

At the scrutiny, they shake the bike, make sure nothing falls off. Turn lights on. And you show them your reflective. Takes minutes.

They also compliment you on your lovely bike (they do if you ride a Condor Fratello anyway) before putting a sticker on the toptube.  It took me until last week to finally scrape that sticker off.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #7 on: 23 October, 2014, 01:20:48 pm »
Don't believe everything you read on the Sports Tours link above. It doesn't start on a Saturday. And unless I'm very much mistaken they can't get you an entry. The 'How to Qualify' bit is also a bit woolly.
Mojo is being awakened.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #8 on: 23 October, 2014, 01:22:21 pm »

They also compliment you on your lovely bike (they do if you ride a Condor Fratello anyway) before putting a sticker on the toptube.  It took me until last week to finally scrape that sticker off.

You mean you don't get the bike resprayed after each PBP? 

I'm still scratching off bits of my rider number from last time, having left it on, put the bike on the roof rack, and driven off on holiday in heavy rain, which seemed to have a bonding effect.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #9 on: 23 October, 2014, 02:25:20 pm »
I'm still scratching off bits of my rider number from last time, having left it on, put the bike on the roof rack, and driven off on holiday in heavy rain, which seemed to have a bonding effect.

MER car polish finally removed the last remnants
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

NRB

• I'm doing this for fun, not for charity
« Reply #10 on: 23 October, 2014, 09:46:15 pm »
I thought leaving the number on, like wearing the PBP gillet, was compulsory for all audax rides

red marley

« Reply #11 on: 23 October, 2014, 09:57:05 pm »
Can anyone point to the no tri-bars ruling? I realise there has been one (brought in sometime in the 1990s ISTR), but I just wanted to check the exact wording and if it is still enforced. Since my back problems, I've found the tri-bars really helpful in increasing the range of body positions on the bike for long rides. I was just wondering if there would be any chance of getting an exemption on medical grounds (a long shot I know, but I'd like to investigate).

« Reply #12 on: 23 October, 2014, 10:02:09 pm »
It's on the top right hand corner of this

http://www.paris-brest-paris.org/en/download/PLAQUETTE-GB.pdf

It reads "Triathlon handlebars and all forms of bar extenders are forbidden."

red marley

« Reply #13 on: 23 October, 2014, 10:07:35 pm »
Ah, thanks. I'd seen that page but somehow missed the rules in the corner. Looks pretty conclusive  :(

Redlight

« Reply #14 on: 23 October, 2014, 10:12:12 pm »
Ah, thanks. I'd seen that page but somehow missed the rules in the corner. Looks pretty conclusive  :(

Time to buy that recumbent that you've always listed after?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 23 October, 2014, 10:28:57 pm »
The tribar rule isn't just for PBP. It applies to all mass-start events in France.

The first PBP that the tribar rule existed, an Aussie had a handlebar bag with a surprisingly strong support frame. Once he was away from the controls, the bag would be unzipped and a couple of extensions unfolded...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #16 on: 23 October, 2014, 10:29:16 pm »

Leave them off for the bike check, and then put them on at the first control...  :o

Redlight

« Reply #17 on: 23 October, 2014, 10:45:10 pm »
Naughty. But I did see three or four tribars last time  :o

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #18 on: 23 October, 2014, 11:23:29 pm »
It reads "Triathlon handlebars and all forms of bar extenders are forbidden."

Like all French rules, it's mostly observed in the breach.  I've seen umpteen (videos of) straight bars on PBP, with extenders on the ends.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #19 on: 24 October, 2014, 09:33:08 am »
Leave them off for the bike check, and then put them on at the first control...  :o

And have the fine people at the Controls stop you and insist things are 'put right', which I happened to witness.

Best tip for PBP is that if you rely on tri-bars then get used to riding without them.

You have until Aug 15 to perfect your technique.  The alternative is risking an awful lot.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 24 October, 2014, 09:45:26 am »
Bar ends on flat bars don't appear to cause problems. Aero bars have a fair chance of complications. Choose accordingly.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #21 on: 24 October, 2014, 10:39:14 am »
Does anyone know if there is a definite page somewhere that identifies all the requirements for bike and rider for PBP?

I have read somewhere that tri-bars are not allowed (but I don't think I've seen that formally).
I have read (on YACF) about the requirement for gillet and non-flashing lights (I assume there are French law, but I haven't seen that formally).

What's the rules on helmets? mudguards? anything else different to riding an Audax event in the UK?  Same rules for Vedettes and 84/90hr?

There must be thousands of perspective PBP entrants around the world with the same queries, so surly a page somewhere? 

http://www.paris-brest-paris.org/index2.php?lang=en&cat=randonnee&page=reglement isn't especially helpfull ::-)

IIRC there is a thing about lights being fixed to the bike itself, not a saddlebag. I think if it is on the saddlebag, they might whinge/suck their beard/frown, but probably still let you through.

The lights have to be able to not flash. It doesn't matter if they can also flash, as long as they are capable of not flashing.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #22 on: 24 October, 2014, 11:46:07 am »
Dumb question for those who have done the bicycle made for two thing. I assume bullhorn type stoker bars are allowed? As they are not likely for cause issues in a bunch.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23 on: 24 October, 2014, 11:48:52 am »
Stoker bars are fine.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #24 on: 24 October, 2014, 11:54:02 am »

At the scrutiny, they shake the bike, make sure nothing falls off.

rider mounted or dismounted at the time?  ;D ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.