Author Topic: Fat Duck is ill...  (Read 8231 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Fat Duck is ill...
« Reply #25 on: 07 March, 2009, 09:52:20 am »
Correlation does not equal causation.
Have you been reading xkcd recently?!
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #26 on: 07 March, 2009, 05:31:03 pm »
Dear Mr Blumenthal,

About a month ago, I rode through the village of Bray.  A couple of weeks later, I suffered a slight sore throat.  How should I go about claiming my meal?

Yours in anticipation,

D. Asmoth.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #27 on: 10 March, 2009, 07:58:31 pm »
I went there with a couple of friend, and Mrs GC, last spring. It was everything that £200 pounds a head should be. We didn't push the boat out, but it was certainly close to the harbour wall.

Yes it's just food, but that's like saying Mercian just make bikes.

I would go again in a heartbeat!

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #28 on: 10 March, 2009, 08:39:46 pm »
My main problem with the FD -- and, to be fair, a lot of Michelin-starred eating places -- is that there doesn't seem to be much recognition of vegetarianism.  But if it weren't for that minor detail, the menus look great, and all reports I've heard have been positive.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

gonzo

« Reply #29 on: 11 March, 2009, 01:46:53 pm »
My main problem with the FD -- and, to be fair, a lot of Michelin-starred eating places -- is that there doesn't seem to be much recognition of vegetarianism.  But if it weren't for that minor detail, the menus look great, and all reports I've heard have been positive.

Doesn't that say something about vegetarian food? ;)

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #30 on: 11 March, 2009, 01:58:30 pm »
Can't say as how I fancy snail porridge  :sick:

Porridge is bad enough (disgusting sloppy stuff) but Snails? Are they food??? REALLY???
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

border-rider

« Reply #31 on: 11 March, 2009, 02:00:52 pm »

Doesn't that say something about vegetarian food? ;)

What it says is that they're missing a trick - because there's now a shedload of well-heeled 30- and 40-something veggies who go to places like the Manoir aux Quat' Saisons instead, places that are happy to relieve them of unnecessary cash without insulting their choice in food ;)

As an aside, Mrs MV's aunt ate at the Fat Duck about 3 years ago and she and all her party were taken ill immediately afterwards.  Sadly it turned really nasty and she ended up with diverticulitis.  Just an anecdote, of course, but she's was convinced there was a problem there even a couple of years ago

LEE

« Reply #32 on: 11 March, 2009, 02:07:09 pm »
Can't say as how I fancy snail porridge  :sick:

Porridge is bad enough (disgusting sloppy stuff) but Snails? Are they food??? REALLY???

Snails are technically in the food chain but humans really shouldn't be either of the adjoining links.

m100

« Reply #33 on: 11 March, 2009, 03:01:28 pm »
Jim Rosenthal was among those affected.

Not all bad news then.

The science side interests me but the food doesn't  If I went there I'd insist on food that tasted how it is supposed to taste, the thought of snail porridge makes me want to puke, if I want ice cream I expect it to taste of vanilla, or raspberry or chocolate, or orange or tiramisu, not scrambled egg ffs!

« Reply #34 on: 11 March, 2009, 03:27:39 pm »
the thought of snail porridge makes me want to puke,

Really? It sounds very similar to frumenty to me, which is scrummy (I've only had a Tudor verson with venison, but the concept goes back to the romans who were big on edible snails.

if I want ice cream I expect it to taste of vanilla, or raspberry or chocolate, or orange or tiramisu, not scrambled egg ffs!

I don't think he does scrambled egg flavoured icecream, though he does do icecream prepared to look like scrambled egg. Again, the idea of presenting food to make it look like something it else is a very traditional idea going back beyond mediaeval times. Have you never made baked alaska? A hot merangue pie taken out of the oven, and broken open to reveal cold icecream within. Heston's cookery is just the same trickery and fun, but taken to far more impressive heights.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #35 on: 11 March, 2009, 03:38:27 pm »
Did you watch his Medieval Feast on telly last night? Wonderful stuff, full of trickery and surprise.

« Reply #36 on: 11 March, 2009, 04:39:54 pm »
Could be a result of his 'unusual' cooking methods and even the vessels he cooks in, some form of metal poisoning possibly? I guess the ppm would have to be pretty high to affect people so quickly. I agree it does not sound like food poisoning. I'm proud to have beaten him in one respect - we've had no reported  food poisoning cases in our kitchen at work (in my time at least - 10yrs & counting), mind we don't do Broiled Philishaves or Fried Lemons here. Fancy fud & gastronomic fleecing doth not equal healthy safe eating!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #37 on: 11 March, 2009, 04:43:34 pm »
What do you cook, Pneumant, if you don't mind my asking?
Getting there...

« Reply #38 on: 11 March, 2009, 06:20:57 pm »
Burgers

;D

« Reply #39 on: 11 March, 2009, 10:27:59 pm »
Total poncey rubbish. People only go there so they can show off that they've got that kind of cash to splash.

Signed, a vegetarian northerner.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #40 on: 11 March, 2009, 10:30:57 pm »
Total poncey rubbish. People only go there so they can show off that they've got that kind of cash to splash.

Don't sit on the fence: Tell us what you really think ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #41 on: 11 March, 2009, 10:43:11 pm »
I don't like the cook and character, nor the cuisine much. But (duck), snails (in a nice butter sauce) do appeal to me. Having said that, his experimental, more novel style should give room to room veg food. Not that it would attract me some more. I prefer a more traditional, home-styled continental style of food and I agree somewhat with Peli on the "value" of such names and restaurants.  O:-)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #42 on: 11 March, 2009, 10:48:18 pm »

The FD has a variation of its tasting menu for Vegetarians. It's very nice by all accounts. I didn't go to show off or splash cash. I went to have a nice night out with friends.

border-rider

« Reply #43 on: 11 March, 2009, 10:55:20 pm »
I'm a vegetarian Northerner.

never been to the FD but I have been to the Manoir aux Quat' Saisons and suchlike a few times.  Why not ? The food was sublime and whilst I couldn't justify the cost of eating there very often it was better value for money for a one-off treat than many a place at 1/10 the price

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #44 on: 11 March, 2009, 11:06:28 pm »
I couldn't justify the cost of eating there very often it was better value for money for a one-off treat than many a place at 1/10 the price

I much prefer the occasional good quality item to repetitive tosh.

I ate there a couple of years ago and I can remember the wine, entre, (though not main) and the tea (hot and cold at the same time).

I can't remember what I had for dinner on Tuesday.

This strikes me as an excellent value experience.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #45 on: 11 March, 2009, 11:30:54 pm »
I'm a vegetarian Northerner.

never been to the FD but I have been to the Manoir aux Quat' Saisons and suchlike a few times.  Why not ? The food was sublime and whilst I couldn't justify the cost of eating there very often it was better value for money for a one-off treat than many a place at 1/10 the price

I'm neither northern nor vegetarian, but I second this.

I've been to the Manoir a couple of times and stayed there too. Perhaps we should ask people how much they paid for their bikes before they can make snippy remarks about how other people choose to spend money. Given a choice I'd rather go to the Manoir once in a year than a load of BSO restaurants.
It is simpler than it looks.

m100

« Reply #46 on: 11 March, 2009, 11:34:22 pm »
and the tea (hot and cold at the same time).

This strikes me as an excellent value experience.

More than 100 quid a head and they can't even make a proper cup of tea?  Looks more like a waste of time....unless you wish to go on a crash diet and spend a week on the bog sh*tting through the eye of a needle.

« Reply #47 on: 12 March, 2009, 01:19:06 pm »
What do you cook, Pneumant, if you don't mind my asking?

Hearty meals for all ages :thumbsup:

Burgers

;D

Very occasionally - but I make them so wipe that grin away  8)

The FD has now been given the all clear to open so still a mystery then.

« Reply #48 on: 12 March, 2009, 01:40:02 pm »
Bizzare.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #49 on: 14 March, 2009, 11:37:34 pm »
Jim Rosenthal was among those affected.

Jack Rosenthal is none too chipper either.
Working my way up to inferior.