Author Topic: Do you use an oven programmer...  (Read 1309 times)

Do you use an oven programmer...
« on: 13 November, 2011, 10:23:45 pm »
Do you ever use an oven programming timer to automatically start/stop the oven while you're out? 

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Do you use an oven programmer...
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2011, 10:25:36 pm »
Never done it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2011, 11:49:53 pm »
Not intentionally.

[insert user-interface design rant]

I have, on occasion, used the microwave timer to synchronise end-points with something in the oven in order to minimise trips back to the kitchen.

« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2011, 12:35:27 am »
We never use it - don't really trust them.  Yes, and AFAIR the only time we've had trouble with the oven was when the timer was set by mistake...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2011, 09:12:56 am »
The one time I tried, I burnt my meat.  Fiddly pushy/pully messing-abouty analogue dials.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2011, 10:02:02 am »
No, I don't trust leaving food out in the oven for any length of time without cooking it, so using that has never really been of interest to me.

I do use the one on my washing machine though, as the machine makes an awful racket and for some reason I often think of running it last thing at night when it'd disturb the neighbours!

« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2011, 02:03:58 pm »
Yes, infrequently, but I do. Things like stews generally.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2011, 02:05:44 pm »
The one time I tried, I burnt my meat.

:-X

« Reply #8 on: 14 November, 2011, 02:25:35 pm »
Maybe once or twice (but not in the last 10 years).  But generally stews etc can be done at the weekend then reheated as required. Saturday I did a beef stew and a goulash from one shin of beef. We had the stew for Sunday tea, goulash will be later in the week. And we've never had a turkey big enought to start that early, and now recommended cooking times have reduced even that wouldn't need too long.  Not that I can see any problem with leaving uncooked food in the oven for a timed start - it'll not rot and any bugs there might be will die in the cooking.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #9 on: 14 November, 2011, 07:14:25 pm »
We've always used a timer to do the Sunday joint while out at church, but our current cooker was free with the kitchen and its timer is so limited (only an on time, no off time) that it's not that much use.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #10 on: 22 November, 2011, 12:18:50 pm »
It used to be used for Xmas dinner - to start that turkey slow cooking nice and early so that we still got a lie in. No point any more - we have children  ;)
Owner of a languishing Langster

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 22 November, 2011, 06:33:01 pm »
We had some sort of intricate computerised timing device on our previous cooker. I don't think we ever used it, but one day it developed a fault which tripped one of the switches on the board. Turning the electricity off to the cooker meant that the oven wouldn't light.

Two years ago, when we had a very heavy snow all in December, we were subject to a power cut lasting about 20 hours. Our heating wouldn't work and the cooker, which we had  (probably very illegally) botched to bypass the electrics, was our only means of keeping warm as the temperature outside dropped to about -10°C.

We have since replaced the cooker for one whose only electrical gubbins is the ignition system and the oven light. This one has a clockwork timer but we never use it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 22 November, 2011, 07:59:49 pm »
The one time I tried, I burnt my meat.

:-X

I pushed my knob in when I should have pulled out.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●