Author Topic: Preppers and prepping tendencies  (Read 21480 times)

Formerly Known As

• The Legend Lives On
Re: Preppers and prepping tendencies
« Reply #100 on: 19 March, 2019, 10:20:12 pm »
I'm a prepper, although prior to the age of the I interweb I'd have been called a...

SURVIVALIST!!!!

Shock horror indeed.

Food and non perishables for the family for about 3 months, independent powers supplies, several weeks of water (more with rationing), legally held firearms and crossbow so hu ting and civil defence ar covered, financial independence, enough wood to heat and cook for a year.

Aside from being able to look after me and my loved ones in a SHTF situation, as a patriot I consider it my duty to reduce my reliance on government support in times of national emergency.  I also use as little road fuel as possible (I'm a cyclist you see, with a tiny car that hardly uses any fuel) thus reducing the countries reliance on foreign energy sources.

Common sense, preparedness, patriotism.  What's not to like?

« Reply #101 on: 21 March, 2019, 01:19:28 pm »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-47640908

True Blue Brexiters will have to use the Daily Heil.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #102 on: 21 March, 2019, 01:37:05 pm »
Well they've steered us up the creek without the paddle, I was hoping I'd at least have something to wipe my arse with while here but it looks like the raging old bastards have made sure to rob me of even that precious luxury.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Formerly Known As

• The Legend Lives On
« Reply #103 on: 21 March, 2019, 03:06:16 pm »
They stole your arse?  ???

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #104 on: 22 March, 2019, 01:20:46 pm »
This stockpiling thing would have made my late Granny very happy, she always had a cupboard full of cans of meat and fruit just in case.
I think it was quite common amongst those who lived through the depression then the war and rationing.

Yep.  When one of our local oldies died a few years ago, they found her under stairs cupboard and pantry were packed full of tins - some of which were over 40 years old...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Formerly Known As

• The Legend Lives On
« Reply #105 on: 22 March, 2019, 10:09:59 pm »

Yep.  When one of our local oldies died a few years ago, they found her under stairs cupboard and pantry were packed full of tins - some of which were over 40 years old...

Did you risk trying any of them?

« Reply #106 on: 22 March, 2019, 10:19:56 pm »
Well they've steered us up the creek without the paddle, I was hoping I'd at least have something to wipe my arse with while here but it looks like the raging old bastards have made sure to rob me of even that precious luxury.

Stock up now on washing powder and use flannels or cut up old sheets and towels. Dampen with water and they do a better job than tp anyway. You can get a bucket with a lid to store them once used until they are washed. If you don't have any rags to use, you can get washable wipes from ebay or posh ones from cheeky wipes or similar companies.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #107 on: 22 March, 2019, 10:21:46 pm »

Did you risk trying any of them?

This is what the Manx Beard Club are for.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #108 on: 23 March, 2019, 12:15:51 pm »

Stock up now on washing powder and use flannels or cut up old sheets and towels. Dampen with water and they do a better job than tp anyway. You can get a bucket with a lid to store them once used until they are washed. If you don't have any rags to use, you can get washable wipes from ebay or posh ones from cheeky wipes or similar companies.
A practical tip on this thread! (from a practical person, it must be said)
After that there's left hand and water.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #109 on: 23 March, 2019, 03:04:57 pm »
Just poo before a shower, then you can use the Calcutta rinse.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #110 on: 29 July, 2019, 07:52:55 pm »
I'm having an online discussion with a friend about buying loo roll in bulk  :facepalm:

54 rolls of Andrex Supreme for £21.90 or 45 rolls of Regina Softis for £24.99.   Never tried the Regina stuff but their kitchen roll is good.     

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #111 on: 30 July, 2019, 09:52:25 am »
I'm having an online discussion with a friend about buying loo roll in bulk  :facepalm:

54 rolls of Andrex Supreme for £21.90 or 45 rolls of Regina Softis for £24.99.   Never tried the Regina stuff but their kitchen roll is good.   

Don't worry, after Brexit it'll be back to good old fashioned Izal Medicated Toilet Paper. Stiff upper lip and all that...

« Reply #112 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:07:07 am »
She says she used to buy the (German) Regina stuff at Aldi, but they stopped stocking it. She asked & was told that the crash in the £ had made it uneconomical to import.

« Reply #113 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:43:25 am »

Don't worry, after Brexit it'll be back to good old fashioned Izal Medicated Toilet Paper. Stiff upper lip and all that...

Come on, get with the narrative - we'll all be reduced to fighting each other for the last dock leaves in the country by the end of November...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #114 on: 30 July, 2019, 10:59:42 am »
Exactly.  Those of us who’ve cornered the market in bog roll can sell it for vast profits & clean up....

« Reply #115 on: 31 July, 2019, 11:51:54 pm »
It arrived today.  I'm going to have to stash it in the loft.   Perhaps I can rig up some form of continual dispenser, with all the rolls sellotaped together & feeding down through a slot in the ceiling ...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #116 on: 01 August, 2019, 05:11:32 pm »
Exactly.  Those of us who’ve cornered the market in bog roll can sell it for vast profits & clean up....
But how are you going to clean up once you've sold it all?
<boom, tish and taxi>

It arrived today.  I'm going to have to stash it in the loft.   Perhaps I can rig up some form of continual dispenser, with all the rolls sellotaped together & feeding down through a slot in the ceiling ...
Just have a look through the designs of Heath Robinson, there's bound to be something...

« Reply #117 on: 09 August, 2019, 01:13:36 pm »
Sainsburys have 125ml tubes of Colgate toothpaste at £2.  Stock up.       I should get some more brush heads for the electric toothbrush as well.  Imported so will not be getting cheaper.

« Reply #118 on: 09 August, 2019, 04:19:39 pm »
I'm currently vegetarian, but if (when?) we start getting seriously short of food I'll just make burgers from the nearest brexiteer that opens their gammon mouth.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #119 on: 09 August, 2019, 05:50:45 pm »
https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/1159865053690126342?s=21

Power cuts ? We’ve not even Brexited yet. Roll on the three day week....

« Reply #120 on: 09 August, 2019, 07:07:50 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #122 on: 10 August, 2019, 07:27:17 pm »
I'm currently vegetarian, but if (when?) we start getting seriously short of food I'll just make burgers from the nearest brexiteer that opens their gammon mouth.

I thought the standard advice was to compost them, because of the toxins accumulated by “apex” predators.

« Reply #123 on: 10 August, 2019, 08:28:41 pm »

I thought the standard advice was to compost them, because of the toxins accumulated by “apex” predators.
Apex? More like bottom feeders.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #124 on: 18 August, 2019, 11:33:37 am »

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/crvuse/operation_chaos_whitehalls_secret_nodeal_brexit/

Public water services are likely to remain largely unaffected, thanks to actions now being taken by water companies. The most significant single risk is a failure in the chemicals supply chain. The likelihood of this is considered low, and the impact is likely to be local, affecting only hundreds of thousands of people. Water companies are well prepared for any disruption: they have significant stocks of all critical chemicals, extensive monitoring of their chemicals supply chains (including transport and deliveries) and sharing agreements in place. In the event of a supply chain failure, or the need to respond rapidly to other water supply incidents, urgent action may need to be taken to make sure people continue to have access to clean water.

Only hundreds of thousands.  That's OK then.....  :facepalm:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007MMEPTG/ & https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AF561T4/