Author Topic: Any tandems for sale  (Read 6353 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Any tandems for sale
« Reply #25 on: 07 August, 2023, 10:15:25 pm »
It sounds like a bargin indeed especially with the upgraded brakes and SON. These frames are Reynolds 531 tubing, most with the single marathon tube layout like the one in the SJS link but double marathon was an option. One of the down sides of all of the Thorn drop bar tandems of this period was the use of Suntour SE brakes both ends. I found I could get them to work for one or two rides then they were off the sweet spot and more or less useless.
The former chairman of our local cycling club had a single marathon Thorn Discovery from new and only sold it a few years ago. It went to a couple who planned to do a European tour then pass it on again but in the end they arranged to ship it home to Australia so it had proved to be a solid success with its second owners. That bike has same side drive but with the synch chain ring outside of the other rings.
If the frame is good I would snap it up even if the rims are well worn as there are still just about ways to get 48h rims in 26". If you need to go down that path let me know and I will go into excruciating detail :)

Thorn may still have 48h 26" rims available. I bought one of their 48h 26" rear wheels for my daughter's child-carrier bike in february. Built in shop apparently. Sun Rhino rim IIRC that was a real swine to get a cheap Decathlon tyre on (solved with generous application of washing-up liquid).

ETA I have 36h on my tandem, never had a problem with my own wheels but the first ever ride loaded over 40 years ago was a real disaster with cheap factory wheels. But mine isn't intended for anything heavier than a grandchild or two now!

That reminds me actually, some years ago I had a Sun rim, Not sure which one, MTB flavour anyway, and I had a beastly job getting a a tyre on, and when I got a puncture….I nearly cried, it was cold and wet, and my fingers bled. I vowed…never again!

« Reply #26 on: 10 August, 2023, 04:21:33 pm »
ok more googling.............the brakes are Magura HS66 , quite rare hydraulic rim brakes, that fit onto canti studs, but with drop bar levers.   More googling shows that a set of HS66 , are going for £200 + on Retrobike.  I think the 'woodman ' bit is the brake booster arch.  Folks want them for old retro MTB to drop bar gravel bike conversions.   Probably be going up there Monday or Wednesday to collect.

Some years ago I bought a tandem, Burley I think, just to get the Magura HS66 brakes off it.  I paired the levers with newer brakes that are QR (with built in booster arch) as the original brakes just bolted on which would make wheel removal a pain.  Still have them on our Dawes.  My feeling is that they work well to start with but increasing pressure does not result in as much braking as a V does.  The action is harder without the spring of a cable so maybe it is the fact that the lever doesn't move that much closer to the bars.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #27 on: 10 August, 2023, 08:36:02 pm »
Deal's off btw, I asked the seller to check the rims for wear with a straight edge, and i got a tirade of abuse,that I was asking far too many questions to travel 5 hours to view it, and they would NOT sell it to me......W^NKERS.  And I'd managed to source a sekrit stash of 26" 40 hole sputniks.    double W^nkers.

« Reply #28 on: 10 August, 2023, 08:51:28 pm »
Is it time to repeat, I have a Dawes Horizon Twin we are looking to re home?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #29 on: 10 August, 2023, 09:18:24 pm »
Is it time to repeat, I have a Dawes Horizon Twin we are looking to re home?

Yes i hear you, but you are a very very long way away. I think I've found something  reasonably close,  26" wheel, super condition.  Thank you for the nudge tho.

« Reply #30 on: 11 August, 2023, 01:42:01 pm »
So sorry to read of the experience that you had with the seller of the Thorn. It sounded like a great deal, even if it needed new rims. What is wrong with some people?!
With regard to your question about wheel size I wouldn't hesitate to go with 26"if that's what presents itself. We had a tandem with S&S couplings built last year and I specified 26"wheels for a few reasons. Smaller wheels are stronger (an important consideration on a tandem), tyre options are good and readily available (We've been running Schwalbe Marathon Supremes for the last few years but have recently fitted Schwalbe Evolution Plus, which we're currently touring on around Normandy and Brittany, and I'm very impressed with them), smaller wheels give lower gearing :-)

I've had to replace the rear 48 hole rim and picked one up from JD Tandems. I built a new front wheel around a dynohub and opted for 36 spokes, which tbh is perfectly adequate, and we carry more weight in our front panniers than the rear.

I hope you find something suitable. I see plenty of 26" wheeled Dawes Tandems advertised at reasonable prices which I'm sure would make an ideal introduction to tandeming.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #31 on: 11 August, 2023, 03:29:32 pm »
So sorry to read of the experience that you had with the seller of the Thorn. It sounded like a great deal, even if it needed new rims. What is wrong with some people?!
With regard to your question about wheel size I wouldn't hesitate to go with 26"if that's what presents itself. We had a tandem with S&S couplings built last year and I specified 26"wheels for a few reasons. Smaller wheels are stronger (an important consideration on a tandem), tyre options are good and readily available (We've been running Schwalbe Marathon Supremes for the last few years but have recently fitted Schwalbe Evolution Plus, which we're currently touring on around Normandy and Brittany, and I'm very impressed with them), smaller wheels give lower gearing :-)

I've had to replace the rear 48 hole rim and picked one up from JD Tandems. I built a new front wheel around a dynohub and opted for 36 spokes, which tbh is perfectly adequate, and we carry more weight in our front panniers than the rear.

I hope you find something suitable. I see plenty of 26" wheeled Dawes Tandems advertised at reasonable prices which I'm sure would make an ideal introduction to tandeming.

Thank you, yes we pick up a Dawes Kickback two tomorrow,  assembled by SJS with extras appntly,. Saw a Beaut of a Dawes galaxy tour, in Light metallic blue, but it was 2" too big for the stoker, even with the seat right down, sh would have barely reached the ground,and had NO standover space...ouch.   I'll post up pics on here when I get it.........oh hang on..........

s-l1600 (4) by mark tilley, on Flickr

Yes I know the front mudguard is broked, and the cranks are out of phase.

« Reply #32 on: 12 August, 2023, 05:13:44 am »
That looks like a great bike. I'm a huge fan of bar end shifters. If you want to improve the braking fitting linear pull brakes will IMO make a big difference. We picked up a second hand Jack Taylor as a daily "runaround" tandem, as we don't have a car and prefer not to use our best tandem for daily use and leaving locked for hours on end. I found the cantilever brakes that it came with very poor but fitting linear pulls transformed the braking. I also changed the brake levers to match for Tektro ones suited to linear pull. Not expensive. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #33 on: 12 August, 2023, 06:55:01 am »
Agree, I have a set ready to go on, just need some fresh cables( maybe) and new noodles. If I stick with drops I’ll get the Tektro RL 340 ? Levers, but may………swap to staightish riser bars and bar ends, and I have the levers  and shifters for those, not sure yet. Still miffed about that Thorn tho.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #34 on: 12 August, 2023, 06:33:18 pm »
Well, I have it. I must say it is in exceptional condition, and apart from the bits mentioned ^^^ could honestly pass off a ex demo,  (or better )  I was surprised how light it is, considering the size of it, I suppose smaller frame, no heavy disc brakes etc, but, it did have a girt big D lock attached.

Initial plans , sort out crank position, fit Spa Nidd saddle to a longer post from shed(just on max, but it is quite short), swap to V brakes from shed with cables etc, not sure on bars yet, have to try it as it  is first, I guess, as I don't want to buy RL 520's then decide to go flat bar.   Fit Schwalbe land cruisers from shed (bit of tow bar type stuff), fit spd's to front, flats to rear from shed, rack bag from shed ............some shed!,    then work out best way to transport it. We have a Volvo estate,  and it went in ok with the wheels off, but placed diagonally, this is not ideal when we go to That France, as we will have our luggage stuff as well.,mudguards sort of got in the way a bit. might try rigging up a timber frame so it can stand upright, with seats out, and front wheel off,  have to try various things I guess. Volvo is a big car, long in the back, but not ever so tall , like a berlingo etc.

« Reply #35 on: 13 August, 2023, 08:20:28 pm »
Whereabouts are you? I have a roof rack that I made for our tandem that I no longer need as we no longer own a car, and should we ever need to transport our tandem in a car we'd just split it in two. You'd be very welcome to it.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #36 on: 13 August, 2023, 09:13:53 pm »
Whereabouts are you? I have a roof rack that I made for our tandem that I no longer need as we no longer own a car, and should we ever need to transport our tandem in a car we'd just split it in two. You'd be very welcome to it.

Very kind of you, but I have no need. I spent about 1/2 hr today after much fettling, thinking of the best way to get it in the back of the Volvo.  Well success. open tailgate, fold down rear seat backs, take off both saddles/posts,  lift rear of bike up into rear of car, second person holds it steady. spin bar/stem round 90 deg,remove front wheel, tilt bike sideways at about 20 deg angle, and roll it in, then stand it upright again ( this to avoid the rear rack taking out the overhead light unit)the rear wheel sits in the well between the rear seat and the central cubby box, 2 quick strap through the seat fixings at the side and its done, door shuts, and its very solid, and secure. honestly, it has taken me longer to write this that it takes to put it in the car, and drive away.  but thanks again.

EDIT: someone is looking for one in the wanted section.

« Reply #37 on: 14 August, 2023, 09:43:12 am »

I am sure that you already know this but, you will need to position the front and rear cranks to the same place. Otherwise it will feel very wobbly when you ride it. (There may be other issues, but that's the only one I know of)

« Reply #38 on: 14 August, 2023, 09:47:21 am »

Very kind of you, but I have no need. I spent about 1/2 hr today after much fettling, thinking of the best way to get it in the back of the Volvo.  Well success. open tailgate, fold down rear seat backs, take off both saddles/posts,  lift rear of bike up into rear of car, second person holds it steady. spin bar/stem round 90 deg,remove front wheel, tilt bike sideways at about 20 deg angle, and roll it in, then stand it upright again ( this to avoid the rear rack taking out the overhead light unit)the rear wheel sits in the well between the rear seat and the central cubby box, 2 quick strap through the seat fixings at the side and its done, door shuts, and its very solid, and secure. honestly, it has taken me longer to write this that it takes to put it in the car, and drive away.  but thanks again.

I find strapping it flat to the roof bars - like a ladder - is the most straight forward way of transporting the tandem. I usually then stick a D lock around it, just to make sure it doesn't make a break for freedom half way along the M4.

(Obviously, if I had a tandem specific bike carrier, that would be easier, but they are expensive, and I don't have one - for the 2-3 times I need to move a tandem by means other than it's pedals)

« Reply #39 on: 14 August, 2023, 10:43:24 am »
The Dawes looks nice, and quite long in the rear, which is crucial for stoker comfort. As is so often the case, tandems are the entry drug to get a non-cycling partner to accompany their other half. If MrsBP isn't an experienced cyclist, her expectations of comfort may be very different from yours. Things you can do to avoid early disappointment include fitting the fattest rear tyre your frame's clearances will permit, adding a sprung saddle like a Brooks B67 or similar, and changing the rear seatpin for a suspension seatpost. Or indeed a combination of any or all of these.  Our two tandem frames have 23" and 22" rear top tubes, which are short in tandem sizings, so to compensate, the stoker saddle is a wider gel padded thing, allegedly shaped for the female derriere, which is fitted on a suspension seatpost, to give a little added bounce. A fatter tyre is pending as an upgrade. As I've never ridden as stoker, I can not vouch for the effect from personal experience except to say that comments now are limited to asking for a higher gear than I prefer - I like to spin at about a 75 rpm cadence - whereas she prefers a slower, grindy-er cadence. I've heard this from other mixed teams too.  One other thing is that new-to-cycling riders often like a more upright position than you might, so adjust the stoker bars to allow for that, and maybe double tape them for extra comfort.  Finally, if she's distracted enough to pinch yer bum then you've got a happy stoker and you'll both enjoy the ride.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #40 on: 14 August, 2023, 12:46:06 pm »

I am sure that you already know this but, you will need to position the front and rear cranks to the same place. Otherwise it will feel very wobbly when you ride it. (There may be other issues, but that's the only one I know of)

That was my first job, and surprisingly easy, but thanks.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #41 on: 14 August, 2023, 12:52:50 pm »
The Dawes looks nice, and quite long in the rear, which is crucial for stoker comfort. As is so often the case, tandems are the entry drug to get a non-cycling partner to accompany their other half. If MrsBP isn't an experienced cyclist, her expectations of comfort may be very different from yours. Things you can do to avoid early disappointment include fitting the fattest rear tyre your frame's clearances will permit, adding a sprung saddle like a Brooks B17 or similar, and changing the rear seatpin for a suspension seatpost. Or indeed a combination of any or all of these.  Our two tandem frames have 23" and 22" rear top tubes, which are short in tandem sizings, so to compensate, the stoker saddle is a wider gel padded thing, allegedly shaped for the female derriere, which is fitted on a suspension seatpost, to give a little added bounce. A fatter tyre is pending as an upgrade. As I've never ridden as stoker, I can not vouch for the effect from personal experience except to say that comments now are limited to asking for a higher gear than I prefer - I like to spin at about a 75 rpm cadence - whereas she prefers a slower, grindy-er cadence. I've heard this from other mixed teams too.  One other thing is that new-to-cycling riders often like a more upright position than you might, so adjust the stoker bars to allow for that, and maybe double tape them for extra comfort.  Finally, if she's distracted enough to pinch yer bum then you've got a happy stoker and you'll both enjoy the ride.

I should explain, this was the sellers photo, and the stoker was 5'5", and this threw me until I went to pick up, and was told that one of the lanky sprogs had been on the back also, hence the seat as shown. Consequently 'her seat' is now very low, and I doubt there is enough room to fit a sus post, as she is also 5'5", but slightly shorter legs maybe. I moved the saddle forward,  and things are now in proportion.  spot of lunch then off again for another wee ride, (her idea)   ;D .

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #42 on: 14 August, 2023, 01:28:41 pm »
We have a Brooks B18 Lady saddle for the stoker, which mounts on a straight seatpost and has suspension coils that sit below the seatpost attachment -- essentially this is the lowest possible height over the top tube and on a sprung saddle, too. I don't know if they are still available.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #43 on: 14 August, 2023, 01:37:33 pm »
Edited my post but the quote doesn't update: Brroks B67 not B17. Whatever: a springy thingy
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

« Reply #44 on: 14 August, 2023, 04:49:07 pm »
I like to spin at about a 75 rpm cadence - whereas she prefers a slower, grindy-er cadence.
Is this where I'm going wrong?  I thought 75 was slow grindy cadence.

Finally, if she's distracted enough to pinch yer bum then you've got a happy stoker and you'll both enjoy the ride.
Certainly agree with that!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #45 on: 14 August, 2023, 06:32:26 pm »
Went out again today, along a long bumpy canal path, then up to visit an old church, then I was about to go back the same way, but thought no, and cut across a field on a track, down through the woods, along through the farm, and back on the road.  All went surprisingly well, no shouts of ''STOP!'', but she was chatting away , as usual. About 20km  ,3/4 of which was rough stuff. Not bad second time out. 

« Reply #46 on: 14 August, 2023, 07:25:43 pm »
I like to spin at about a 75 rpm cadence - whereas she prefers a slower, grindy-er cadence.
Is this where I'm going wrong?  I thought 75 was slow grindy cadence.

I may be about to fall into a 'missed-the-point-entirely' trap but.... I could never rev at 90 even as a youth in my club training days except when riding on fixed. I still rev higher on the 70" fixie than on any of my other machines. 75 is my comfy keep it up all day cadence. What cadence is 'spinning' for anyone else?  Rather than you Russell, it's very probably me that's got it all wrong. Either way, Mrs653 always wants to pedal more slowly than I do.

« Reply #47 on: 16 August, 2023, 10:30:48 am »

Noted. I've replied

« Reply #48 on: 16 August, 2023, 10:55:59 am »
Went out again today, along a long bumpy canal path, then up to visit an old church, then I was about to go back the same way, but thought no, and cut across a field on a track, down through the woods, along through the farm, and back on the road.  All went surprisingly well, no shouts of ''STOP!'', but she was chatting away , as usual. About 20km  ,3/4 of which was rough stuff. Not bad second time out.
Sounds like a great success. My wife and I have cycled all our lives. When we were first married (34 years ago) we rode together a lot but I was always a much stronger rider. We did some cycle touring as well. Then children came along and thereafter did very little riding together. Scroll forward to 2017 (children grown up etc) and we decided to gave a tandem a go. We've never looked back. We ditched the car 3 years ago after I built a cargo bike for shopping and carrying our musical instruments, and travel everywhere by bike and train where necessary. This moved us to get a frame built with S&S couplings to that we can split it and put it on the train, which has opened our horizons for touring holidays.

The tandem has made riding together a real pleasure for us (I'm still a much stronger rider) allowing us to combine our efforts and share the experience. We've just returned from a couple of weeks touring in Normandy and Britanny enjoying wonderful French food and campsites.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #49 on: 25 September, 2023, 05:18:28 pm »
Bit of an update on this. Been to France and rode along the Loire in both directions , plus other excursions and then a long 105 km trip along the Somme , from Amiens to Abbeville and back, and clocked up over 350km in 5 rides.  So far we have covered 570 km in total in a little over 5 weeks. I'm rather proud of the way my lovely has taken to it, but she insists, she is 'not a cyclist', ie  not for going out and riding around in a big loop everday, but it's ok to use it to go places with.........pub. :thumbsup:

380423066_6530905056962690_3760570783737054059_n by mark tilley, on Flickr

Somewhere along La Somme