Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3898291 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #825 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:02:04 am »
Just over 30 miles on the fixed Frankendale.  New Aztec brake pads don't squeal at all, and have the stopping power of a pump in the spokes  :thumbsup:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #826 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:22:58 am »
No.  The usual Sunday Club Run was banned as we had a really really late night last night and Mrs G had swimming training to take and she thought the boys should have a rest day - sleep defecit and all that as they have a big party this afternoon. 
Damn damn damn.  We went out for tea last night and will do so again this afternoon.  I was hoping to get the chance to work off some of those lovely meals.  :(

vince

« Reply #827 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:41:38 am »
It's a frustrating weekend. I've been on call since Thursday, so no cycling other than to the police station since then. I managed to go for a run this morning - but it's not the same.

Roll on Monday evening. Hope it stays dry for the rest of you.

« Reply #828 on: 15 June, 2008, 06:29:25 pm »
2h15 of fast riding East of Nottingham, so on flat land, on my fast TT fixed bike. A great deal of the ride was done on the tri-bars and I was motoring well. I found a nice comfortable set of postions that I shall exploit in my next 10. I enjoyed the effort.

Unfortunately a lot of the silly-driver brigade members seemed to have been out this morning. I reported one attempt at "happy-slapping", of which I was the victim, and dangerous driving to the police; I couldn't believe how close the driver came to me after, I suspect, sneaking behind me, nor how irresponsible his co-driver was leaning so much out of the car. I am interviewed further tomorrow , which I didn't expect to be, so will keep you posted then.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #829 on: 15 June, 2008, 06:31:34 pm »
Yes.  Couldnt make the Suffolk ride cos of work this morning, but just back from my first < 3 hour fifty miler (2'50").  After nearly borking myself on a hilly 50 miles yesterday am quite Chuffed :D 

& a much quieter ride than you seem to have had, Frenchie!!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #830 on: 15 June, 2008, 06:37:05 pm »
Rode from Pompey to see my mate Rob finish the London to Brighton.

We set off at 6 as I didn't want to miss him finish plus I wanted to enjoy the ride out.

The first part was enjoyable but some of the the roads, particularly the A29, A283 and the B road through Amberley were really busy and a bit grim.

We were going over Devil's Dyke but by then, my chum Steve was suffering a bit so we (unsucessfully) tried to pick up the cycle path down to Shoreham and ended up on the A283 again.  :(

Nice brekkie in Steyning though and it was good to see my mate at the finish of his ride.

H

Dave

« Reply #831 on: 15 June, 2008, 06:42:02 pm »
150k round Warwickshire (Cotswold Audax). Lovely. Seven hours, which is about as fast as I can go.

Except I forgot my cap/Buff, so I now have a sunburnt head (so when I go for my job interview tomorrow I'm going to look like a tomato in a suit ::-)) And my GPS is continuing to play up >:(

« Reply #832 on: 15 June, 2008, 08:14:15 pm »
I don't often get the chance to post in here so ...

YES. 27km @ 17kph today after about 9km shopping and visiting MIL yesterday. Only the second and third rides this month.

Martin

« Reply #833 on: 15 June, 2008, 08:28:13 pm »
an odd but enjoyable 70km; started by heading out towards Horsham in search of wood for lifestyle vegetable bed which I've just been swearing a lot trying and failing to put together. Crossed the L2B at Turners Hill in full 10.30 swing. Met some returning L2Bers near Lower Beeding who had done it in 2.51 and were heading back (via a route that was discussed last year IIRC; and one of them is doing L'Ardechoise too , small world). Timber clocked and noted I rode back to Mum's for some rehydration meeting a road race coming the other way. Then rode home having to follow about 1km of the L2B in Ardingly still in full swing and go up through Highbrook as the normal way home was still one way. An hour later on the way to buy said timber there was almost nobody left at Crawley Down. Saw lots of bikes resembling Adrian's but I suspect they were coming back form Brighton.

gordon taylor

« Reply #834 on: 15 June, 2008, 08:50:19 pm »
Yes, I rode the Cheshire Circuit 110km Audax, starting near Macclesfield. It was a lovely day out, not least because I started chatting to a guy and we discovered we only live two miles apart! We had a good ride together and swapped emails with a view to sharing lifts on some of the Audax rides later in the year.  :thumbsup:

Mind you, we were beaten (by an hour) by an eleven year old girl, riding a solo, drafting her Dad. That's a wonderful thing to see on a bike ride.

And... hell's teeth, there are some big houses in Cheshire.
Where does all the money come from?

alan

« Reply #835 on: 15 June, 2008, 08:55:17 pm »
The money comes from Manchester & Chester Gordy.

I had a yen to do this ride a while ago but realised that it would clash with Marj's R&R so decided to pass. :(

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #836 on: 16 June, 2008, 12:40:27 am »
Yes, I went out with my son who has never been into cycling at all in his 20 years.  However, since he got back from University we went out for 33 miles last week and 30 miles today.  He used my converted Saracen MTB both times and did amazingly well.

This photo is of him at the top of Walbury Hill near Combe Gibbet.  The fact he managed to get up there on his 2nd ride of any distance impressed me no end.  More experienced riders than him have called it quits on Walbury Hill I bet.  In fact we pretty much did 50% of the Faccombe Haul. a lumpy Audax if ever there was one.

I guess youth and being skinny helps a lot, even when wearing trainers and football shorts.

He did tell me that his legs and lungs weren't the problem but that his arse "probably looked like a Naan Bread"

I don't think he'll be sitting on a bike for a few days now.

It's an interesting skirt.

Is it an Emin?

;)

It is simpler than it looks.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #837 on: 16 June, 2008, 08:37:07 am »
On Saturday I had Go-Ride and came third (first girl) in a 10 minute 'endurance' race. Then yesterday I rode 81 miles and did ask to go and do another 19 miles but my parents were too tired and busy to come with me.  :)

annie

« Reply #838 on: 16 June, 2008, 09:09:54 am »
On Saturday I had Go-Ride and came third (first girl) in a 10 minute 'endurance' race. Then yesterday I rode 81 miles and did ask to go and do another 19 miles but my parents were too tired and busy to come with me.  :)

Way to go :thumbsup:

« Reply #839 on: 16 June, 2008, 10:55:35 am »
Just returned from 2 weeks in Sardinia.
First time I've taken road bike on holiday, had heard horror stories of damage, but I incurred no problems  :)
Final ride on Saturday, was an early morning ride leaving our villa in the village of Cala Sinzias at 0630 and riding along the coast road to Villasimius.
This stretch of road is one of the best I have ever ridden, well graded, wide and with excellent views. Approx a 5 km climb to the viewing point, then a 7 km descent into the tourist town of Villasimius.
Even at 0715 the local cafe was busy with customers, mainly discussing Italys' football match the previous evening. A quick expresso and the out through the town passing olive groves, vineyards and plenty of goats !
A climb over Mte Macioni before dropping down into Santu Perdu and returning to the villa for breakfast with Mrs Dinamo !

View from Mte Macioni looking towards Costa Rei.

alan

« Reply #840 on: 16 June, 2008, 12:57:00 pm »
Just done a hilly 23k on the geared bike.Loverly in the sun with sleeveless base layer 7 shorts.
The new-cut hay smells terrific.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #841 on: 16 June, 2008, 05:15:36 pm »

Just to clarify -

Mrs Chris was too tired, I was too busy!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #842 on: 16 June, 2008, 05:20:31 pm »

Just to clarify -

Mrs Chris was to tired, I was too busy!

Sounds like an euphemism to me. ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

vince

« Reply #843 on: 16 June, 2008, 10:09:14 pm »
19.5 miles this evening. I really should have stayed at work, but the weather was good and I need the miles in my legs. Nice loop, to Owler Bar and close to Curbar.

annie

« Reply #844 on: 16 June, 2008, 10:43:15 pm »
No, spent the day sorting and tidying, gardening, sleeping and making a cord using a Lucette in the company of a good friend who takes part in the re-enactment at Kentwell Hall, much fun.  JC has been asleep all day, ill and not at school at the moment.

« Reply #845 on: 17 June, 2008, 07:57:31 am »

Day 5 of cataract op reccovery... pleased to manage 12 flat miles in an hour. And hoping I haven't overdone it!

« Reply #846 on: 17 June, 2008, 08:10:45 am »
a run into Cambridge and back last night to pick up a battery charger from Maladict(a).  Glorious run in and half way home, then my legs remembered the hill repeats and intervals from the weekend and *completely* died. 

I think I averaged about 8mph on the second half of the run home, not helped by my next door neighbour overtaking me very slowly in his car and shouting 'are you alright??'  Git. I may have sworn.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #847 on: 17 June, 2008, 11:40:46 am »
Yes!

Post-antibiotic recovery pootle and it was really great!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #848 on: 17 June, 2008, 12:40:55 pm »
so, antibiotic out of system and pain reduced ?  Sounds a good result.  Congrats.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #849 on: 17 June, 2008, 04:31:30 pm »
66 miles today. Trying to convince myself I can do the FNRttC in a few days time.
There's no vibrations, but wait.