Author Topic: RAAM TandemThings 2015 (T409 - Love, Sweat & Gears)  (Read 8312 times)

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
Re: RAAM TandemThings 2015 (T409 - Love, Sweat & Gears)
« Reply #75 on: 28 June, 2015, 11:26:03 pm »
Congratulations Things; superb effort. And to the rest of the LS&G team too.
Is that a new record as well?
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #76 on: 29 June, 2015, 09:45:18 am »
Good effort, chaps!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #77 on: 29 June, 2015, 09:56:11 am »
Late to the party - very well done Things!

« Reply #78 on: 29 June, 2015, 02:31:56 pm »
Congratulations Things; superb effort. And to the rest of the LS&G team too.
Is that a new record as well?

Yup. A new 4 mixed tandem under 50 record, 1.03 mph (iirc) faster than the old record. We were a little off are targeted pace, but still pretty pleased. We all had a lot of fun too. For a very geographically dispersed team with a huge age range from a very wide range of backgrounds where most people knew at most one or two others beforehand, we all got on remarkably well.
California Dreaming

« Reply #79 on: 29 June, 2015, 02:47:37 pm »
Congratulations.  That's quite an achievement.

What were the conditions like?  I noticed there were some extremely high temperatures in the States last week, together with some pockets of very heavy rain and flooding.

« Reply #80 on: 29 June, 2015, 03:51:58 pm »
We were very lucky with the weather. It was very hot on Saturday (when we started), but not as bad as it had been for the solo riders a few days previously. We also finished just ahead of a big storm. The people coming in 24 hours after us had been riding in heavy rain for 20 hours! We had a spectacular thunderstorm with added hail in Bloomington,  and a nasty headwind for a 50 mile section in the Rockies. In Kansas it was mostly a sidewind, but not strong enough to cause us serious issues - it just slowed us down enough that we were overtaken by a couple of teams we played leapfrog with for most of the race.
California Dreaming

« Reply #81 on: 29 June, 2015, 08:14:19 pm »
Does this now mean you can eat lots of pies with total abandon?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #82 on: 30 June, 2015, 03:20:25 pm »

My appetite is undiminished and I really need to stop eating  all the pies ( it took me 3 months to lose the weight I put on in 2 weeks over Christmas). We all put a healthy dent in the amount of beer in Annapolis too (along with a few other teams). Fortunately there was some left for Shu & co.

One thing I have learnt by doing this is that anyone who rides a solo RAAM is truly exceptional. My admiration and awe of anyone undertaking it has only grown since experiencing it as a team.
California Dreaming

« Reply #83 on: 30 June, 2015, 03:24:45 pm »

My appetite is undiminished and I really need to stop eating  all the pies ( it took me 3 months to lose the weight I put on in 2 weeks over Christmas). We all put a healthy dent in the amount of beer in Annapolis too (along with a few other teams). Fortunately there was some left for Shu & co.

One thing I have learnt by doing this is that anyone who rides a solo RAAM is truly exceptional. My admiration and awe of anyone undertaking it has only grown since experiencing it as a team.

There'll be a red carpet for you both outside the 'ut.

hillbilly

« Reply #84 on: 03 July, 2015, 02:28:27 am »
Also late to notice this.  Fantastic to see you both achieve this.  Well done, bravissimo, chapeau, and all the variants thereof :)