Author Topic: Camping coffee  (Read 11749 times)

Re: Camping coffee
« Reply #25 on: 27 January, 2011, 04:53:14 am »
A cup filter, enough paper filters plus your favourite coffee, pre-ground and stored in an air tight container. The cup filters are very cheap. Have a look at the various videos to see how to make filter coffee correctly. For one example, don't use boiling water!

Personally, I hate any method that results in sludge in the bottom of my coffee cup as it causes a bitter taste and spoils my enjoyment.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #26 on: 27 January, 2011, 05:29:22 am »

The Mechanic

« Reply #27 on: 27 January, 2011, 08:24:36 am »
I have a Sebastian Conran Smart-Cafe mug.  It is like a conventional plastic mug but has a plunger type thingy a la cafetiere.  You can use the mug for anything or add the integral plunger for any flavour of beans you like.  It's not especially light but not heavy either.  I got is from a shop in Aberdeen that sells all sorts of storage and kitchen stuff and use it in the office for a decent coffee rather than the usual office instant.  I'll try and find a link.

Here it is a ebay New Smart Cafe Hot Mug Cup Coffee Cafetiere on eBay!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #28 on: 27 January, 2011, 09:16:24 am »
There is ONLY one way to go....

Java Juice Extract
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #29 on: 27 January, 2011, 09:32:10 am »
Re: Balkan method / Turkish

Back in days of yore when I were a stoodent (1986ish), one of our house share mates came back from a year out in Norway and proceeded to make coffee using that method, with no equipment other than a small milk pan.  At first we all went "Huh...?" but it became a real treat when Martin made coffee.  Then, after his finals, he went back to Norway and married his girlfriend, and we all sighed and went back to filter/espresso/instant/tea (depending upon taste), and talked about how good Martin's coffee was.  I don't remember anyone even trying the same method after he left, which seems strange for a bunch of biochemistry and biological sciences stoodents.   ::-)

In a surge of memeness, I was only the other day contemplating this method for camping, after reminding myself that coffee bags are both expensive and not very good. 

L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #30 on: 27 January, 2011, 09:37:45 am »

I'm going to Norway for a weeks trekking and I'm tempted to try these on the trip.
I have tried them before but not in the nature.

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #31 on: 27 January, 2011, 02:36:25 pm »
I've just had a go at making Balkan-Turkish-Cowboy-Camping coffee...
As Andy says, it's surprisingly good!
And I'm sure it'll taste even better under canvas.
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #32 on: 27 January, 2011, 02:43:05 pm »
+1 for the Aeropress. Though it's light, it can be seen as rather bulky.

LEE

« Reply #33 on: 27 January, 2011, 04:11:27 pm »
We've got cafetieres which turn into mugs. Double wall too, so insulaty goodness. Robert Dyas stock them from time to time, as do Lakeland.

+1 because it's always good to have an insulated mug when you are outdoors anyway.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #34 on: 28 January, 2011, 07:58:17 am »
We've got cafetieres which turn into mugs. Double wall too, so insulaty goodness. Robert Dyas stock them from time to time, as do Lakeland.
+1 because it's always good to have an insulated mug when you are outdoors anyway.
True enough, that.

Cowboy coffee experiments!

#2 - into hot water, boil then off the heat.  Gopping bitter gagpocalypse.   :sick:

#3 - water off the heat, add coffee and leave.  Ashy but with flavour peeking through the pile of fags.

Science is so far favouring the Turkish temperature profile.  I'm guessing the low heat experienced during warming is what gets the flavour out, the touch of boil gives a touch of bitter; boiling alone therefore would be pure bitter gop, and never boiling is this weak fag-ash mess with a suggestion of decent flavour.  

#3 most closely resembles a coffee bag - a different roast might diminish the ash, but it shares that lack of body and gumption.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #35 on: 28 January, 2011, 03:34:45 pm »
Sounds revolting :sick:

Probably safer to stick to Camp coffee :P
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #36 on: 28 January, 2011, 05:58:37 pm »
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

mr endon

« Reply #37 on: 28 January, 2011, 08:56:21 pm »
Science is so far favouring the Turkish temperature profile.

Yay! Folk wisdom! Yay! Culture! Yay! Tradition! Yay! History! etc.

« Reply #38 on: 28 January, 2011, 10:22:06 pm »
What does the panel think about this?

« Reply #39 on: 28 January, 2011, 10:27:33 pm »
What does the panel think about this?

That is the Balkan method favoured by Mr Endon.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #40 on: 28 January, 2011, 10:36:44 pm »
And the cowboy method I'm playing with, too. 

Yay! Folk wisdom! Yay! Culture! Yay! Tradition! Yay! History! etc.

mr endon

« Reply #41 on: 28 January, 2011, 10:42:45 pm »
Yay! Cowboys!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: 28 January, 2011, 10:58:30 pm »
Yay cowboys!

:D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

mr endon

« Reply #43 on: 28 January, 2011, 11:14:07 pm »
That's rich.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #44 on: 28 January, 2011, 11:23:39 pm »
Looks more like roger to me.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #45 on: 28 January, 2011, 11:26:56 pm »
Being office based sales droids, slaves to the icon Te-Le-Fon, the peeps in my ossiffe inc. moi require regular and instant 'coffee' in various forms. Decaff, black, white etc.

One of our number recently brought some sachets which claimed to be 'real ground coffee' which dissolved in hot water giving 'instant' real coffee. I think the labels said something about 'ultra-ground' or something but I wasn't taking much notice. (I'm with Richard Burton when it comes to coffee, let it go cold and you can't taste it!)

I have to say the results were surprisingly palatable and may have contained at least traces of real coffee. I'll try to find out what it was cos it was simply tear, add water, serve.

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #46 on: 29 January, 2011, 10:43:23 am »
Extensive investigations (OK, I looked in the waste paper bin) have revealed that

1. This is a Starbucks product called VIA Ready Brew

2. It is/was quite a palatable drink.

3. OMFG! How obsessive/anal do you have to be about your coffee that you pour exactly 177ml of hot water onto the contents of this sachet?

Sniper culture comes to beverages. Who knew?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #47 on: 29 January, 2011, 11:20:04 am »
I wonder if a tea infuser would sort of work like a reusable coffee-bag substitute?  It may be a bit on the small side for coffee though.

I think I've got an infuser somewhere, maybe I should have an experiment.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #48 on: 29 January, 2011, 11:27:42 am »

3. OMFG! How obsessive/anal do you have to be about your coffee that you pour exactly 177ml of hot water onto the contents of this sachet?

About as obsessive as someone who looks up an online conversion table to find it's 6 US fluid ounces I guess...
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #49 on: 29 January, 2011, 12:26:59 pm »
See, six is a nice human number, you can go half over or under for a bit strong or a bit weak, lovely.

117 is daft.  Which is why empirical units did so well, SI met resistance, and people still invent random fraction pseudounits (un demi? Mmmm) that are closer to human scales lie "as big as my thumb" or "a bellyful of beer"...