Author Topic: Why do keep needing to......  (Read 1675 times)

Martin 14

• People too weak to follow their own dreams, will a
Why do keep needing to......
« on: 11 December, 2012, 05:15:47 pm »
Pee..........Since I started training about six weeks ago I keep needing to run to the loo about 10 minutes after having a drink. I should point out that I drink a lot of tea, in fact I hydrate on the stuff, always have, no sugar, just a sweetner. I now find myself getting up once or twice during the night. I have lost about 6 kg in weight since starting my training.
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Why do keep needing to......
« Reply #1 on: 11 December, 2012, 05:23:46 pm »
Personally, I find tea more diuretic than coffee and now only drink decaf tea.
You might be:
Drinking too much
Getting cold at the edges, forcing peripheral blood back into the circulation with resulting increased central blood volume causing diuresis
Liberating water tied to your glycogen stores as you exercise
Getting rid of excess salt you have consumed, with the water needed to eliminate it.
Any combination of above.

Martin 14

« Reply #2 on: 11 December, 2012, 05:49:47 pm »
You might be:
Drinking too much
Getting cold at the edges, forcing peripheral blood back into the circulation with resulting increased central blood volume causing diuresis
Getting rid of excess salt you have consumed, with the water needed to eliminate it.

Thanks for that appreicated :)

I have a blood test tomorrow, which has on it PSA and screening for BPH, but haven't clue what that is :)
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 11 December, 2012, 06:45:43 pm »
You might be:
Drinking too much

Thanks for that appreicated :)

I have a blood test tomorrow, which has on it PSA and screening for BPH, but haven't clue what that is :)

PSA = Prostate Specific Antigen, which is raised in cancer of the prostate.
BPH = Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy: prostate gets big and can obstruct urine flow in older chaps. Not cancerous but can cause retention of urine, which may need surgery or catheters to relieve. Retention may facilitate urinary infection.
CRP = C Reactive Protein, a non-specific marker of mischief
CRaP & 5H1T = POO...

Martin 14

« Reply #4 on: 11 December, 2012, 08:26:15 pm »
Once again thanks....mmm food for thought, better safe and all that I suppose :)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #5 on: 12 December, 2012, 02:36:28 pm »
I am usually well hydrated, as opposed to well refreshed ;) , and find that the cold weather has a noticeable effect on the frequency of needing to urinate. Specifically, if I go outside without having first been to the loo, I immediately need to go.

I have always got up at around 0400-0500 to use the loo as I always drink a pint of water (with an effervescent vitamin tablet in it) right before bed.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 12 December, 2012, 03:25:50 pm »
I am usually well hydrated, as opposed to well refreshed ;) , and find that the cold weather has a noticeable effect on the frequency of needing to urinate. Specifically, if I go outside without having first been to the loo, I immediately need to go.

I have always got up at around 0400-0500 to use the loo as I always drink a pint of water (with an effervescent vitamin tablet in it) right before bed.

Needing to pee after going out into the cold is a common, almost universal, phenomenon.
Nothing like taking a pre-emptive leak...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 12 December, 2012, 04:27:33 pm »
IME any drink goes straight through an empty stomach at alarming speed.  Are you eating beforehand.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8 on: 12 December, 2012, 04:39:58 pm »
Martin,

Since this is a cycling forum, I suppose your training is done... on a bicycle.

Bicycle saddles can have a compressive and irritating action on your men's parts, with  sensible effects on your urinating needs.
(I don't know for women, but my wife, and tandem partner, does not suffer from similar problems)
I suffered from these kind of troubles until I changed my saddle. Now it's gone, like by miracle!

Alain

Martin 14

« Reply #9 on: 12 December, 2012, 07:24:30 pm »
Martin,

Since this is a cycling forum, I suppose your training is done... on a bicycle.

Bicycle saddles can have a compressive and irritating action on your men's parts, with  sensible effects on your urinating needs.
(I don't know for women, but my wife, and tandem partner, does not suffer from similar problems)
I suffered from these kind of troubles until I changed my saddle. Now it's gone, like by miracle!

Alain

Thank you Alain,

Its a good point as this only seems to have started since I started training again after a ten year lay off and about 2000 km of riding. As its a mountain bike its was fitted out for MTB racing, maybe I should take a look at that as I am now building a road bike. Anyway blood test done this morning so should have results in about a week I guess.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Why do keep needing to......
« Reply #10 on: 12 December, 2012, 10:25:49 pm »
I had this problem for more than 12 months.  It eventually went away without any medical treatment.  I suspect my saddle position was at least part of the cause.  So don't lose hope even if symptoms persist.

(I was young enough to safely assume that prostate cancer was unlikely, but still I was silly to not see a doctor about it).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●