Author Topic: What wristwatch / stopwatch?  (Read 2527 times)

What wristwatch / stopwatch?
« on: 14 February, 2014, 04:46:32 pm »
With the running back on I need a wrist-mounted stopwatch, or should that be chronograph?   Nothing fancy but it must be able to do the following:

Stopwatch elapsed time in excess of 59 minutes 59.99 seconds, lap times and have a decently large, clear display*.   It must also be water resistant to a decent depth just in case I decide to take it swimming too.

I used to use Timex Ironman watches a couple of decades back but am willing to look at all possibilities.

I do not want nor need a heart rate monitor, nor do I want to spend in excess of say £30 unless this is necessary to get a decent piece of kit.

Suggestions welcome, please. 

*  I love the classic Casio which can be had for less than a tenner but the display is too small, it does not do laps, and, it only goes up to 59 minutes, 59.99 seconds.     :(

Re: What wristwatch / stopwatch?
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2014, 04:50:11 pm »
G-shock?
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2014, 04:58:08 pm »
Interesting but they seem to have small led displays and are rather pricey as far as I can tell.  :(

« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2014, 05:06:48 pm »

« Reply #4 on: 14 February, 2014, 07:32:53 pm »
I use my phone, and audible alerts.

This doesn't work for swimming but is effectively free, as I already have it, IYSWIM.

« Reply #5 on: 14 February, 2014, 10:37:16 pm »
I'm not keen on carrying the phone whilst running.   I have a pocket for it now in my Ron Hill running jacket but come the spring I'd have to buy some phone carrying gizmo which I'd rather not.   Also, I am definitely not taking the phone swimming.    :D

Plus, I have now bought the Timex that I linked to sbove.   :)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 15 February, 2014, 09:46:16 pm »
I've got a Timex Ironman rather similar to that, works fine for an everyday watch, or using the stopwatch. The strap broke after a few years, so I replaced it with a cheap Nato strap.

Though for running (outside) I think its worth using something with GPS. It means you can get distance/speed, plus download the data for analysing on your computer. You can get a Garmin Forerunner 10 for about £80, its not much heavier/bulkier than that Timex.

« Reply #7 on: 15 February, 2014, 10:14:22 pm »
Nice idea snd something that I might consider in the future.

I guess that I am stuck in the eighties and nineties when I planned routes on 6 inch OS maps and timed them with the Timex Ironman on my wrist.

Nato straps are the way to go.  I have one on a Citizen ecodrive which lives on the barbag mount on the tourer.    :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 16 February, 2014, 07:55:48 am »
Speed/distance can be quite well estimated (or even calculated!) from maps, but is still a very crude tool for judging your training or performance; HR is far more useful (in conjunction with time of effort). HRMs start around £30.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #9 on: 16 February, 2014, 08:10:23 am »
Have you considered a Pebble Watch? Waterproof, stopwatch, running/sport apps, and importantly, a customisable display so you can create one that best suits your vision.

Rather more than £30 though and would have most benefit when used in conjunction with a smartphone.

« Reply #10 on: 16 February, 2014, 08:12:57 am »
I'm not at all bothered about being 'crude'.  I used map and stopwatch before and managed a 3:38 marathon in 1993.   I was more than satisfied with that.  I'm not running to break records or to compete, I'm running for general fitness and for sheer enjoyment.   

I am one of life's participants, not one of it's competitors.    ;)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 16 February, 2014, 08:20:34 am »
I'm not at all bothered about being 'crude'.  I used map and stopwatch before and managed a 3:38 marathon in 1993.   I was more than satisfied with that.  I'm not running to break records or to compete, I'm running for general fitness and for sheer enjoyment.   

I am one of life's participants, not one of it's competitors.    ;)
Oh that's fine  :)

(But you said you might consider a GPS, so I was just opining that HRMs give a better cost/benefit ratio.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #12 on: 16 February, 2014, 08:28:25 am »
When I was running more seriously I used a HRM more for pacing than anything else.  Prior to getting one I'd go off too fast and not be able to complete my run.  With the HRM I could ensure I wasn't going into the red / over the lactate threshold and so I could run for much longer.

I have a Polar which has a nice large display.

« Reply #13 on: 16 February, 2014, 08:48:28 am »
I would consider a wrist-based gps but not definitely go for one.   

When I was running more seriously I used a HRM more for pacing than anything else.  Prior to getting one I'd go off too fast and not be able to complete my run.  With the HRM I could ensure I wasn't going into the red / over the lactate threshold and so I could run for much longer.

I've always had the 'tortoise' approach, even when swimming competitively during my youth and doing the cross country at school.   

Older Polar hrm's had bigger displays than the newer ones.   I know this because mlle pb likes to use a hrm.   They do tend to be pretty clear and easy to read though.   

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #14 on: 16 February, 2014, 09:22:24 am »
I would consider a wrist-based gps but not definitely go for one.   

I've always had the 'tortoise' approach, even when swimming competitively during my youth and doing the cross country at school.   

Older Polar hrm's had bigger displays than the newer ones.   I know this because mlle pb likes to use a hrm.   They do tend to be pretty clear and easy to read though.

The wristwatches/HRMs used by the biathlon competitors in Sochi are very readable, with big faces. During the prone shooting I've usually been able to tell the time from them (even on my very low definition equipment). I notice that most of them haven't adjusted them from their home timezone. I would have thought that they'd be more interested in heartrate than time especially as they are worn so prominently, but what do I know? An obligation to display their sponsors' products perhaps?

Sorry if this is not very useful, PB.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #15 on: 16 February, 2014, 04:47:17 pm »
'Tis useful but I guess that my budget will not run, swim, ski or cycle to theirs.   :P

« Reply #16 on: 16 February, 2014, 05:32:53 pm »
Geonaute from Decathlon. Cheap as chips!

I often break the strap through wearing while lifting 'stuff' and just buy a new one as they are so cheap. No fault of the watch and I really should remember to remove the watch before doing the job.

Currently have the Onrhythm 100 which is now only £14.99 and you can get one without HRM for even cheaper!

« Reply #17 on: 19 February, 2014, 09:39:16 pm »
A bargain perhaps?

The Timex bargain has arrived and it takes me back to the eighties whenever I look at it.   Functionally it is remarkably similar to my first Timex Ironman watch but the gaudy white case and strap are vulgar.   :sick:   As a piece of functional equipment though, I am well chuffed.    :thumbsup:

Oh, I'm sure that my first one cost a similar amount too. 

« Reply #18 on: 19 February, 2014, 09:49:09 pm »
You'll have to run a little more quickly and nobody will notice it ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #19 on: 19 February, 2014, 11:19:45 pm »
 :D   I don't think even Mo Farah could run fast enough.     :facepalm:    ;D

« Reply #20 on: 19 February, 2014, 11:24:10 pm »
:D :D

« Reply #21 on: 20 February, 2014, 08:19:29 pm »
I still use an 80's vintage Timex Ironman. It works well although the buttons aren't as positive as they should be.

« Reply #22 on: 21 February, 2014, 12:43:51 pm »
I am envious.   I lost mine in 1998. 

I was at the side of the road with a few friends cycling in the Lakes.   We were heading up Kirkstone Pass from the north side and had stopped for some of our party to rest.   I took my watch off and put it dowm whilst adding suncream.   I forgot to pick it up again.    :(

On our way back we stopped to look for it but there was no sign of it. 

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #23 on: 21 February, 2014, 02:11:35 pm »
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●