Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 939151 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #10425 on: 12 April, 2024, 07:21:41 am »
Went to see Wicked Little Letters on Sunday. Fantstic film, which depends on good old fashined characters and acting, not BOOM special effects.

Saw it this afternoon. Very funny. Extraordinary swearing. Olivia Colman is superb.

ETA: afterwards, I read Peter Bradshaw's review. He hated it, which is hardly surprising because he hates everything. He does make some fair points about how it's essentially a glib treatment of what is in truth a desperately sad story but I still like it for what it is, which is an amusing way to pass a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon - there is perhaps potential for a very different film to be made of this story though.

Saw this last night.
Not overly impressed with the direction and plot. Absolute tour-de-force of acting. Olivia Coleman was great, but playing a character she could do in her sleep. The other lead, Jessica Buckley was outstandingly good.  Timothy Spall brilliant as a foul controlling father.

Didn't find it particularly funny (although there are very funny parts). Much of it is very sad.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10426 on: 13 April, 2024, 04:26:13 pm »
The all female Ghost Busters reboot.
It was not as good as the originals, but also not bad.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10427 on: 13 April, 2024, 05:03:45 pm »
Dune 2

Sufficiently dull that I found myself wondering how any of it makes sense.  Which it doesn't.  How does the ecosystem support those giant worms?  What do the Fremen eat?  If they've got ornithopters and FRIKKIN LAZERS and unclear weapons and so on, why all the sword fighting?  What's with all the BDSM gear and/or silly hats?  etc.  etc.

Barakta informs me that this is missing the point.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10428 on: 13 April, 2024, 05:12:13 pm »
The all female Ghost Busters reboot.
It was not as good as the originals, but also not bad.

It was a perfectly adequate family comedy film that was unfairly targeted by internet misogynists for the crime of *checks notes* having a black woman in it.  It could certainly have been better written, but it wasn't not funny.

The more recent Ghostbusters films are labours of love by fans of the original[1], and it shows.

[1] I've previously postulated that the genius of Ghostbusters is that the comedy is mostly in the acting, and is sufficiently low-key that it can pass for a straight sci-fi action film to the under-12s.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #10429 on: 13 April, 2024, 05:33:09 pm »
Dune 2

Sufficiently dull that I found myself wondering how any of it makes sense.  Which it doesn't.  How does the ecosystem support those giant worms?  What do the Fremen eat?  If they've got ornithopters and FRIKKIN LAZERS and unclear weapons and so on, why all the sword fighting?  What's with all the BDSM gear and/or silly hats?  etc.  etc.

Yeah, there's quite a bit of that.  The book does a lot of glossing over the ecology, but it does actually mention things like the whole 'what's happening in the worm-chemistry, and sand-plankton, and where does the oxygen come from if there's no significant plant life?' and suchlike.  The fact that Herbert made up a combination of science, politics and religion to handwave away physical missile weapons and energy weapons and computers in one move, so that he could make everything dependent on personal negotiation up to and including combat was, I thought, the signature difference of the book when I first read it (about a thousand years ago).  I know that the book had to be movie-ised and stuff will inevitably go missing, but the whole Holtzmann Effect and why you can't just use FRIKKIN LAZERS to shoot down the shielded ornithopters is actually a plot point of how Duncan escapes from the Harkonnen attack anyway, and I kind of thought that would have been kept.

Don't watch sci-fi movies expecting coherence, the USAnians won't stand for it.  You wait until they need to adapt the Stone Burner in 'Messiah' for part three. I bet that makes even less sense, and the books get less and less adaptable the further you read.  ;D
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10430 on: 13 April, 2024, 08:23:14 pm »
Also, given that the worms are a formidable mega-predator, how have they not been hunted to extinction so that people can prove how manly they are?  Seems unlikely.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #10431 on: 13 April, 2024, 10:29:59 pm »
The canonical idea is that each worm segment has to be killed individually, so they're very hard to kill, short of actual atomics.

Plus, once the realisation about the properties of the drug happened, everyone likes the worms. There's also the whole paradox about why the 'green paradise' can't be allowed to happen, even if that's what people want.

Films really can't carry the level of detail...
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #10432 on: 13 April, 2024, 11:31:58 pm »
They could have put more of the story into the films, but chose not to.
To be fair I think Lynch skipped all the Lasers as opposed to explaining why they were not used.  His version was a much clearer telling of a story, not something he gets accused of very often.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #10433 on: 14 April, 2024, 08:19:23 am »
Dune 2

Sufficiently dull that I found myself wondering how any of it makes sense.  Which it doesn't. ...

I think I may benefited from not having ever read any Dune - didn't think about 'alien worm ecosystems'.  They're in the desert sand on Arrakis innit.   ;D
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

jwo

« Reply #10434 on: 14 April, 2024, 08:51:35 am »
I enjoyed the first Villeneuve Dune, am re-reading the books at the moment and have no problems with long films. So I was expecting Dune 2 to be a good fit. But unusually for me I found myself drifting off in the cinema. The pacing seemed odd, both languorous and rushed. Long periods of world building (I fine with that) and then rushed bursts of exposition often via muffled dialogue (is it possible for Christopher Walken to have been any more Christopher Walken than this?). Without any spoilers, there was an opportunity for some interesting character development in 160+ minutes, but it all seemed rather sudden at the end.

« Reply #10435 on: 14 April, 2024, 11:08:42 am »
Dune 2

You need to re-read the books.

The spice is produced by flora and that generates oxygen.

The world isn't water-poor, it is just locked away. The Sandworms do that as part of their life-cycle.

The weapons thing always annoyed me. Whatever happened to napalm? Super-soakers filled with petrol?

the 'shield' thing was just an excuse for a world in which people fight hand to hand with knives.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10436 on: 14 April, 2024, 11:58:57 am »
I haven't read the books, because I discovered them at around the time I lost the ability to read fiction, and I mentally filed them with the likes of Tolkein and Heinlein in that their main function was as a source of cultural references which I've since picked up by osmosis.  So in that sense, the film more or less stands on its own.

(I've watched the Lynch one, which was cringeworthy in many ways, but at least it got on with it.)

Agree with jwo: I like world-building, but if that's what you're doing you've got to actually build the world.

I was left with the overall feeling that if I wanted to watch an epic medieval hero's journey in a barely-coherent science fiction setting just for fun, we already had that, and it's called Star Wars.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10437 on: 14 April, 2024, 02:31:08 pm »
I haven't read the books...

AFAIC there is only one book, the first one. The rest arose from the efforts of the publishers & Frank Herbert trying to build an industry.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #10438 on: 15 April, 2024, 10:36:08 am »
... The pacing seemed odd, both languorous and rushed...
Yes, very well put, that is something that annoyed me - the main character was <here> saying one thing and suddenly he's decided to go <there> and do something completely different and we don't know why.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10439 on: 15 April, 2024, 12:19:11 pm »
Overall, it's clear that the films exist to pin some spectacular visuals on a book that the viewer is assumed to have read.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does make the experience rather meh if you haven't done your homework.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10440 on: 15 April, 2024, 12:59:59 pm »
Overall, it's clear that the films exist to pin some spectacular visuals on a book that the viewer is assumed to have read.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does make the experience rather meh if you haven't done your homework.

Very much the point I was making earlier...

Another question: why do the Navigators not feature in this version of the story? Talking to my son after the film, he was saying he didn't get why spice was so important, which is a fair question - in the books (and the Lynch version) it's made clear that spice is essential to the Navigators, and therefore essential to interplanetary travel, so it seems like a pretty major omission.

The business with the Navigators is just one of many examples. Pt2 spends far too long dwelling on the big fighty set pieces - the gladiator nonsense and the EPIC FINAL BATTLE - at the expense of storytelling, which is alas so often the curse of this kind of film.

I'm tempted to re-read the books (well, the first one, at least) - last read them (the first three) when I was about 14, iirc. I remember thinking they were much better than LOTR at the time, but that's not saying much.

As far as epic sci-fi/fantasy sagas go, the books that made the biggest impression on me as a teenager were Brian Aldiss's Helliconia trilogy. Largerly because, unlike most sci-fi/fantasy writers, Aldiss could actually write. I'm mildly surprised no one has ever attempted to adapt those for cinema.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10441 on: Yesterday at 08:03:46 am »
American Fiction

Lots of laughs. Good film, I think maybe without flaws.
<i>Marmite slave</i>