Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3009397 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #11000 on: 25 November, 2012, 04:06:20 pm »
Watched my boy play rugby this afternoon. His side won 19-12. He got 2/2 conversions. Caught one of them on video. I think it's worth sharing...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bcynHFrVph4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/bcynHFrVph4&rel=1</a>

It was against the wind as well.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #11001 on: 25 November, 2012, 08:29:39 pm »
Good stuff.
I watched my daughter play waterpolo against Hamilton this afternoon, and learn a few new swear words.
26-25 defeat...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #11002 on: 25 November, 2012, 10:10:07 pm »
Google has incorporated Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon into its search. Just put "bacon number" and the other actor's name into the search box and tra-la!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #11003 on: 25 November, 2012, 10:16:22 pm »
The Ouse is up again, and still rising....

http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/live-webcams/north/Ouse/York/

I've been watching the bollard tops disappearing over the last couple of hours...

A couple of weeks ago, we collected a lot of bottle recycling from a house that had been flooded last time, and reckoned they had had a 'moving back in after the flood' party. My colleague said "Do you think we'll look back and say, 'Do you remember when we collected loads of bottles from that party... just before the really big flood?'" 

If the rain's still coming down on the Dales, he might be horribly right...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11004 on: 25 November, 2012, 10:20:31 pm »
The other day The Boy (2nd year student loafer) phoned up. He'd blocked one of the khazis in the house he shares. I suggested vigorous brush action. He'd tried that to no avail. So I suggested he'd have to get in there with his hand, but use a bin liner as a long sleeve glove thing.

I sent him a text later in the evening, asking if he'd fixed it:

"Yes. Although it turns out my finger nails are fairly sharp."

Eew.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11005 on: 25 November, 2012, 10:48:44 pm »
The other day The Boy (2nd year student loafer) phoned up. He'd blocked one of the khazis in the house he shares. I suggested vigorous brush action. He'd tried that to no avail. So I suggested he'd have to get in there with his hand, but use a bin liner as a long sleeve glove thing.

I sent him a text later in the evening, asking if he'd fixed it:

"Yes. Although it turns out my finger nails are fairly sharp."

Eew.

A lavatory plunger is an essential item in any household.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11006 on: 25 November, 2012, 10:59:30 pm »
He's learned a valuable life lesson, and some things you just have to learn through experience....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11007 on: 25 November, 2012, 11:30:01 pm »
Yup. If you fear a stiff logging is imminent, go round to someone else's house.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11008 on: 26 November, 2012, 01:28:22 am »
I've just run the serial number of my failing disk through the Seagate RMA checker.  It says that it's in warranty, which expires on the 25th of November.  Timezone-tastic!

I'm not going to risk it though.  It responded to a 'repair' (remapping dodgy sectors) and is therefore more useful in the server than being held by Seagate while they quibble about warranty.

New disks soon, I think.

« Reply #11009 on: 26 November, 2012, 09:01:09 am »
The Ouse is up again, and still rising....

http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/live-webcams/north/Ouse/York/

I've been watching the bollard tops disappearing over the last couple of hours...

A couple of weeks ago, we collected a lot of bottle recycling from a house that had been flooded last time, and reckoned they had had a 'moving back in after the flood' party. My colleague said "Do you think we'll look back and say, 'Do you remember when we collected loads of bottles from that party... just before the really big flood?'" 

If the rain's still coming down on the Dales, he might be horribly right...

Bollards all gone under, but the level seems to be... levelling off. For now. Heavy rain forecast in the North today, so it could start to rise again before it falls at all.

Talk of the A64 being 'just passable' in places, which might make for a tedious and diversionary drive home for MFWHTBAB...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #11010 on: 26 November, 2012, 09:55:45 am »
One of my colleagues has just asked the room at large which one the shift key is.  :facepalm:

« Reply #11011 on: 26 November, 2012, 10:38:37 am »
I have lost the battery for my bike lights.
Sometime between arriving at work, when I removed it from the bike, and now, when I went to plug it to its charger.

WTF?

GIVE ME MY BRAINZ BACK

Chris S

« Reply #11012 on: 26 November, 2012, 10:43:33 am »
I have lost the battery for my bike lights.
Sometime between arriving at work, when I removed it from the bike, and now, when I went to plug it to its charger.

WTF?

GIVE ME MY BRAINZ BACK

Did you use all your brainz on Pop Master again? Hmm?  :D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #11013 on: 26 November, 2012, 11:35:49 am »
If it's wrong to stand in front of the immensely powerful hand driers in the toilets that make the flesh on your hands ripple, pretending to be a melting Nazi from Raiders of the Lost Ark, then I don't want to be right.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11014 on: 26 November, 2012, 12:51:33 pm »
Bad news for Roland[1] and family:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/birmingham-families-to-get-wheelie-bins-328386

I look forward to getting rid of the stupid recycling boxes[2], and ranting about student wheelie-bin abuse...  :thumbsup:

[1] Rattus rattus, occasionally resident in our front garden.
[2] Well, I say getting rid of, but the students/wind/binmen have already taken care of that.

Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles said the grants would guarantee weekly collections for millions of householders. He said: “Every Englishman has a basic right to have their household rubbish taken away each and every week -
Does that mean we have the "basic right" to live in a castle, too?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #11015 on: 26 November, 2012, 12:55:28 pm »
Talk of the A64 being 'just passable' in places, which might make for a tedious and diversionary drive home for MFWHTBAB...

It was absolutely fine on my ride in this morning.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11016 on: 26 November, 2012, 02:20:44 pm »
Paying someone with the requisite tools and experience to put together my new Ikea furniture in a tiny amount of time with precisely no stress or swearing or looking at the instructions or looking for the missing bits is quite possibly among the best money I have ever spent. Yes, I do hate fettling, and putting together flatpack stuff counts as fettling and a half.

« Reply #11017 on: 26 November, 2012, 02:29:32 pm »
Paying someone with the requisite tools and experience to put together my new Ikea furniture in a tiny amount of time with precisely no stress or swearing or looking at the instructions or looking for the missing bits is quite possibly among the best money I have ever spent. Yes, I do hate fettling, and putting together flatpack stuff counts as fettling and a half.

MFWHTBAB and I put a £20 IKEA chest of drawers together last week. Being him, he added a little bit of glue to the joint, and measured to ensure squareness, and the result is such a good set of drawers that we went back two days later to buy three more sets in order to assemble one more for use now, and two to serve as bedside tables when we finally get the new room finished.

He did the construction, I sorted all the fixings out and handed him the right bit at the right time. Teamwork makes all the difference! :thumbsup:

« Reply #11018 on: 26 November, 2012, 02:30:32 pm »

It was absolutely fine on my ride in this morning.

Yeah, sounds like it was just large puddles failing to drain quickly.

Ouse still rising though, I think.

« Reply #11019 on: 26 November, 2012, 03:22:05 pm »

MFWHTBAB and I put a £20 IKEA chest of drawers together last week. Being him, he added a little bit of glue to the joint, and measured to ensure squareness, and the result is such a good set of drawers that we went back two days later to buy three more sets in order to assemble one more for use now, and two to serve as bedside tables when we finally get the new room finished.

He did the construction, I sorted all the fixings out and handed him the right bit at the right time. Teamwork makes all the difference! :thumbsup:

I think you two are much handier than Rob and I!

In fairness, Rob could have done it with a tiny bit of help from me, but I’ve run out of patience due to everything else that’s been going on, and he’s working long and stressful hours at work at the moment, hence I didn’t want to ask him to spend his precious weekend ‘off’ wrestling with a large wardrobe and chest of drawers, in addition to all the loathesome unpacking we’re doing as we move back into the flat post-leak.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11020 on: 26 November, 2012, 03:35:18 pm »
If you were paying tea and cake, you might find help forthcoming. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #11021 on: 26 November, 2012, 05:34:07 pm »

I think you two are much handier than Rob and I!

In fairness, Rob could have done it with a tiny bit of help from me, but I’ve run out of patience due to everything else that’s been going on, and he’s working long and stressful hours at work at the moment, hence I didn’t want to ask him to spend his precious weekend ‘off’ wrestling with a large wardrobe and chest of drawers, in addition to all the loathesome unpacking we’re doing as we move back into the flat post-leak.

Oh yes. Nothing wrong with outsourcing the construction - after all, it's the sort of odd job MFWHTBAB has done in the past, and hopefully will do again once he's fit for work.  The main thing is that someone with the experience and skills and tools gets it done much quicker!

I'm good at sorting all the fixing out into types (4 different sorts of bolt/screw/dowel for the drawers I mentioned), and I'm OK at following the instructions, but I fall down on anything requiring force (including screwing, quiet at the back please!), and am more inclined to accept a slight wonk as just part of the charm... ;)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #11022 on: 26 November, 2012, 07:33:58 pm »
Today my Kenyan colleague revealed that since February she's been in a long distance relationship with our Ugandan ex-colleague who went back to Uganda last summer. It's really hard for them to keep in touch because internet connections are so unreliable in Uganda, and they won't see each other again till February.

I'll try to bear that in mind when I'm miserable in the weeks between seeing bobb.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #11023 on: 26 November, 2012, 09:11:46 pm »
One of my colleagues has just asked the room at large which one the shift key is.  :facepalm:

I have been asked which is tab/enter/return/space bar...

I am good at keeping a straight face. :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11024 on: 26 November, 2012, 09:12:51 pm »
I am good at keeping a straight face. :D

Except when asked to by optiquacks...

Which one's the mouseclick button?