Author Topic: Shingles vaccine  (Read 1519 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Shingles vaccine
« on: 12 October, 2023, 10:57:06 pm »
So far as I can tell, I'm not yet eligible for this because my 70th birthday is next June.

What happens if you've never had chicken pox and you are vaccinated against shingles?

So far as I am aware, I've never had chicken pox. My children have, and I didn't catch it from them, so it's possible I might have done. I certainly don't remember having it as a child, my mother died 19 years ago, so I can't ask her. At the sort of age I might have caught it and not remembered, she had her hands full with my severely disabled oldest brother: he had muscular dystrophy and died when he was 18, shortly before my 6th birthday, so I would not be at all surprising if I caught it some time in my first 6 years and no-one remembered.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Shingles vaccine
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2023, 12:48:50 pm »
I think you can have chickenpox very mildly and not notice -  especially when little.  That is what I assumed, until I caught it aged 37 and was off work for 2 weeks - completely knocked for six.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2023, 01:16:22 pm »
From the HNS website:

"From 1 September 2023, you're eligible for the shingles vaccine when you turn 65.

You'll be offered 2 doses of the vaccine. These are given between 6 and 12 months apart.

Your GP should contact you to make an appointment to have your shingles vaccine. Contact your GP surgery if you think you're eligible for the shingles vaccine and you've not been contacted about it.

You'll remain eligible until your 80th birthday."
The sound of one pannier flapping

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2023, 03:25:27 pm »
And if you just miss that deadline you have to wait until you are 70, I believe.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2023, 04:11:31 pm »
And if you just miss that deadline you have to wait until you are 70, I believe.

Ah - OK.  That's a pity.  I'm eager to get jabbed as I've first-hand experience of shingles, albeit a minor flare-up, and it wasn't nice.

« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2023, 07:40:34 pm »
Yep, unless you turned 65 after the 23rd Sept this year you (I) have to wait until 70. Odd but that’s what it is. My wife’s 79 and never been offered it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 13 October, 2023, 08:43:17 pm »
I think it is quite new?

But it is odd that some people will have to wait 5 years?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 13 October, 2023, 08:47:06 pm »
I think it is quite new?

Quite - seems a bizarre way of organising things.  A cohort of 65 year-olds will get the vaccine while many more older (and presumably more at risk) folks will be waiting for up to 5 years.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 13 October, 2023, 09:10:30 pm »
Yep, unless you turned 65 after the 23rd Sept this year you (I) have to wait until 70. Odd but that’s what it is. My wife’s 79 and never been offered it.

I read something along those lines and got totally confused.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 14 October, 2023, 12:04:23 am »
So I'm 3 months too old to have this before I turn 70...

« Reply #10 on: 14 October, 2023, 08:48:08 am »
I think it is quite new?

First available on the HHS in 2013.

« Reply #11 on: 16 October, 2023, 12:38:52 pm »
Bollocks!  I've just turned 66 so I'm clearly going to have to wait...  Had shingles back in 1976 and anxious not to repeat the experience as a pensioner. 
Wife who is 2 years younger will presumably get the call the minute she is 65.  She had a nasty bout of shingles much more recently so I imagine she'll be keen.

As compensation I am getting a noomonia jab later this week

« Reply #12 on: 16 October, 2023, 01:52:43 pm »

Wife who is 2 years younger will presumably get the call the minute she is 65.

Don't assume they'll be pro-active in the way they have been with Covid and pneumonia. Make a note to actually ask for it. My wife was never appraoched, and we have a good local surgery where she regularly visits (blood tests for bi-polar meds).

« Reply #13 on: 16 October, 2023, 03:51:47 pm »
Mrs A had shingles, as did a younger friend. On their strong recommendations I had the jab just over a week ago.  Perhaps due to the ability of the nurse, the after-effect was much more uncomfortable than any covid jab I have had, but certainly not so bad as to avoid it.  Fortunately I can choose a different surgery for future jabbings.
Move Faster and Bake Things