Author Topic: Inguinal Hernia  (Read 41100 times)

Re: Inguinal Hernia
« Reply #175 on: 14 November, 2023, 11:08:49 am »
Scans revealed a "large" inguinal hernia as suspected.  I really didn't want to wait around for it to get any worse so I booked in at the St John's and having open surgery tomorrow under general anaesthetic.

I'll be there all day apparently.  Luckily it's the first WC cricket semi-final tomorrow so that should keep me diverted pre/post surgery  ;D

How's the recovery going, howie?

EDIT:  I was in from 7am-8pm cause of the general anaesthetic.  Went well apparently but time will tell.  In quite a bit of pain/discomfort ATM but saving the Tramadol for if it gets bad (surgeon mentioned days 2-3 could be the worst).  Maintenence-level paracetamol/IB for now.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #176 on: 19 November, 2023, 09:10:24 pm »
Scans revealed a "large" inguinal hernia as suspected.  I really didn't want to wait around for it to get any worse so I booked in at the St John's and having open surgery tomorrow under general anaesthetic.

I'll be there all day apparently.  Luckily it's the first WC cricket semi-final tomorrow so that should keep me diverted pre/post surgery  ;D

How's the recovery going, howie?

EDIT:  I was in from 7am-8pm cause of the general anaesthetic.  Went well apparently but time will tell.  In quite a bit of pain/discomfort ATM but saving the Tramadol for if it gets bad (surgeon mentioned days 2-3 could be the worst).  Maintenence-level paracetamol/IB for now.

Sorry for the delay, all is well here.  About 10 days after the op the pain stopped completely, the bruising had gone and the swelling in the scar area has reduced.
I have just started doing longer walks now to try and get some fitness back (Op was on 03 Nov).  I'm looking at sorting out my e-bike to see what gentle cycling is like.

How about you?

« Reply #177 on: 19 November, 2023, 09:33:40 pm »
Glad to hear you're pain free, howie  :thumbsup: 

I'm still suffering a bit but only day 4 so to be expected.  I only used the tramadol on day 2 so just paracetamol and ibuprofen ATM.  What's new to me is the combo of pain types - the constant background dull ache you can get used to but any sudden movement brings on a nasty sharp stabbing.  Coughing and laughing are definitely a bad idea  ;D

« Reply #178 on: 19 November, 2023, 10:12:40 pm »
toontra,
Good to hear.  I forgot to mention take lactulose before the op, as that 1st movement can be troublesome.  Sorry didn't want to make you laugh...
Everything seems to be connected to the nether regions regarding the different pain types.   :-[ ;D

« Reply #179 on: 19 November, 2023, 10:20:32 pm »
Everything seems to be connected to the nether regions regarding the different pain types.   :-[ ;D

Indeed!

I was certainly relieved (in all senses) when the Dulcolax worked its magic on D3  ;D

« Reply #180 on: 13 December, 2023, 01:07:04 pm »
Update 4 weeks in.  I'm still completely numb over a significant area of the groin around the incision.  I can feel something internally but no longer painful - just mildly discomforting.  It's probably a helpful reminder to take it easy.  I've actually had quite a bit of testicular pain on that side which was worrying but today that seems to have lessened - hopefully will resolve over time.

I've been rigorous in restricting my activities.  Nothing other than building up walking to longer distances and no lifting of anything other than a bag of shopping.  Being off the bike for a month has meant I've had to experience all the wonders of public transport - i.e. allow 3 times longer to get anywhere  ;D.  I'm going to test out an easy session on the trainer tomorrow.

« Reply #181 on: 15 December, 2023, 09:46:09 pm »
Update 4 weeks in.  I'm still completely numb over a significant area of the groin around the incision.  I can feel something internally but no longer painful - just mildly discomforting.  It's probably a helpful reminder to take it easy.  I've actually had quite a bit of testicular pain on that side which was worrying but today that seems to have lessened - hopefully will resolve over time.
That sounds similar to me, each day things have got much better, and it's only occasionally that I'm reminded that I had surgery.  It sounds like you are on the mend though now.  :thumbsup:

I've been rigorous in restricting my activities.  Nothing other than building up walking to longer distances and no lifting of anything other than a bag of shopping.  Being off the bike for a month has meant I've had to experience all the wonders of public transport - i.e. allow 3 times longer to get anywhere  ;D.  I'm going to test out an easy session on the trainer tomorrow.
I'm going for a ride for the 1st time tomorrow since my surgery 6 weeks ago today.  My club is running their mince pie run, so it should be a gentle ride although I'm taking my E-bike.  I think I'll be using Zwift for quite a bit over Christmas.   ;)

« Reply #182 on: 15 December, 2023, 09:52:03 pm »
Good to hear, howie.   :thumbsup:

Things have improved significantly for me in the last couple of days which has cheered me up a lot.  So much so I did a short Rouvy session on the trainer this afternoon and it felt fine.  I'm going to build up the indoor cycling for another couple of weeks and then start short outside rides in the new year.

Gym weights sessions can wait another few weeks though  ;)

« Reply #183 on: 13 January, 2024, 07:25:00 pm »
Over 12 years after I had mine done, which was keyhole, I've never noticed it since!

I walked home from the hospital, never used the painkillers they gave me, but did avoid cycling for quite a while, as I was advised. I've been cycling ever since then, and never had anything noticeable which I could attributed to the hernia or the surgery.

I think I had as good an outcome as is possible. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #184 on: 13 January, 2024, 07:56:36 pm »
I guess it depends of size and location, along with the type of procedure.  I had something the size of an egg protruding from my groin.  I suspect it had been developing for many years as I'd had sharp pain in that region for a long time and had a couple of hospital visits to investigate but was never scanned to see exactly what was going on, so it was spotted late and required open surgery with fairly extensive external scarring which I assume is permanent (not an issue).

I'm no longer in pain but I'm certainly aware that I have something (mesh/scarring) in my groin, especially when making certain movements.  Hopefully this will lessen over time.