Author Topic: The Lost Boys  (Read 2980 times)

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
The Lost Boys
« on: 11 April, 2008, 08:48:21 pm »
Now the small Jellieds are older they are being forced offered the chance to watch some of the more grown films that lurk on the shelves.

It's been quite eye opening and depressing for me - films I thought were classic or trouser wetting scarey have proved quite the opposite. Nightmare of Elm? What was the fuss about? Terminator - questions raised as to why it was an 18 certificate. Blade Runner - rather slow and not worth the wait for the director's cut.

But last night The Lost Boys came out, went down a storm, granted the clothes and music looked a shade dated - but no long drawn out fights, lots of implied scares but nothing very graphic, and a touch of fun thrown in. Nice.

Already eyeing up the other DVDs and videos living on the racks.

So - what other films have you got round to re-watching only to be let down?
A shitter and a giggler.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: The Lost Boys
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2008, 09:06:16 pm »
I love the Lost Boys. My favourite memory of it is watching it on video at home when it first came out on video, and my mum walking in and saying "doesn't he look like Donald Sutherland?"  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2008, 01:27:50 am »
Damnit you've gone and done it. *sings cry little sister to himself*
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2008, 01:53:51 am »
Its working the other way round for me. I've just introduced Ms Manotea the Elder to the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CTe032Uw718&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/CTe032Uw718&rel=1</a> boxed set complete with pre-cgi goretastic effects.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2008, 02:27:32 am »
Hellraiser 2's skinned woman is a slippery triumph.

You know there's a sequel to Lost Boys in production?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Kathy

« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2008, 09:02:50 am »
Ah, Lost Boys. One of those films that suffers fom the Obligatory Eightes Sex Scene. You know, the kind of sex scene that does nothing to advance the plot, has lots of gauze and soft-focus and soft lighting, often has saxaphone music, and is never spoken of by any of the characters.

But it sits in my collection of cheesy vampire films nevertheless. :)

Jakob

« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2008, 10:22:01 am »
"Death by stereo"

(Best quote in the film)

Zoidburg

« Reply #7 on: 12 April, 2008, 02:39:26 pm »
"The Thing" was and shall remain a deeply fucked up film

Its still brilliant to this day and still scary, the very best of old school creature effects which CGI still struggles to match

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #8 on: 12 April, 2008, 05:13:10 pm »
A sequel to The Lost Boys? not so sure about that.

The Thing - I was deeply disturbed by the re-make at a tender age, but I've always been fearful of over-doing it and then being sadly let down in front of the children. Alien and a few of the sequels always do it for me, but alas the teenage Jellied as pretty unimpressed by John Hurt's famous scene.

Hell Raiser - again, saw it when I was younger and was impressed, but second time round did wonder what the fuss was about.
A shitter and a giggler.

CathH

« Reply #9 on: 12 April, 2008, 08:01:24 pm »
Oh god, The Lost Boys!  My secondry-school best chum and I went to see that every Saturday night at the Odeon whilst it was running (which was for weeks and weeks) in a lustful haze....... scary sexy stuff we thought.  Teen taste, huh?!  I wouldn't want to watch it again though as I would probably find it cringeworthy. 

« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2008, 10:19:45 pm »
I love the Lost Boys, although it's not one of got on DVD, one of my old flatmates had a copy, so it's something that needs to go on my "to buy" list!  There's some very good music in that film, <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-b9abml3ZEA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-b9abml3ZEA&rel=1</a> being the one that's most memorable of course.

I always thought that the more modern version of "The Thing" was closer to the original "Who Goes There" than the older B&W version.  It's an interesting film, but the special effects were a bit cheesy in places, and even those who made them agree if you listen to the commentary on the DVD (which is worth doing, it's quite interesting).

One of the films which I thought was quite chilling was Poltergeist, although the sequels were a bit pants.  Some of the moments in that film are eerie, and I'd think probably still are.
Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 13 April, 2008, 10:44:10 am »
I always think the first half of "Candyman" is terrifyingly scary, but when the eponymous villain actually shows up, he's about as scary as a children's TV presenter.  There's also a bit when he flies out of a window backwards and you can see the strings  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.