Author Topic: Fenland Friends/Yorkshire via Essex [Flatlands Reversed] 600 8th September 2018  (Read 43962 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Fenland Friends Route sheet and Information on AUKweb today.

A reversed 'Flatlands', with the chance to meet-and-greet Northern riders on 'Yorkshire via Essex' 600km starting from Sleaford:

The 600 is the classic Flatlands route reversed starting from Sleaford. Runs the same time as Tomsk’s 600 so a great chance to meet riders coming north as Lincolnshire riders head south. Then head north to Goole via Red Lodge, Whittlesey, Boston, a new section from Langrick Bridge to control in Lincoln having travelled almost the full length of the Water Railway cycle path. Then rejoin the standard route at Kirton Lindsey. Back from Goole to Sleaford via Gainsborough. Special thanks to Tomsk for allowing this shameless rip-off of his event. Does now give those us “up north” the chance to ride it without having to start from Essex.

Many thanks to cyclinggeezer for helping make this happen :thumbsup: We felt we needed something different to make the interminable passage of the Cabbage Patch bearable...

However, I will bear no responsibility for recurring LEL/h+adw!nd nightmares  ;)

Depending on whether my 13yo's racing in the British Youth series at Pembrey I'm hoping to do this. If he's racing, then I won't be riding.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
If 2014 is anything to go by there'll be a late rush for PBP pre-qualifiers. Last time we had a group from Ireland who had a tough time on their own 600. Having a double-barrelled event should ease any pressure, but I'm not planning on capping numbers anyway. I'll book the larger church hall if we get lots wanting to sleep over the night before.

rob

I was toying with starting from the Lincoln end, but I will probably need this for my Essex SR.   I expect I’ll need to be at work Monday morning as well.

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
The big change in routing is from Langrick Bridge outside Boston. Whilst it will head over Holland Fen (very very flat) you will then run along side the River Witham on the “Water Railway”. Some road but alot of cycle path from Kirkstead Bridge, through Bardney and again on high quality path into Lincoln. (Bardney has a late opening Coop and opens on Sunday).

Then its around the Titanic Works, a former factory the size of the Titanic, along Great Northern Terrace, Lincoln’s East West link to the University, where you can control at McDs or if open the Sainsburys Local on Carholme Rd.

Then its up Yardborough hill, Burton Rd and then via Scampton village to go along the cliff edge road to Kirton Lindsey to rejoin the old route north to Goole.

On the way south Yorkshire via Essex riders will come back to Sleaford via Burton Rd, the University and then via a cycle path along the Witham to the bottom end of the High St.

Then up Cross O’Cliff Hill, and turn off to Bloxhom Lane to Scopwick, down to Digby, then via backroad route to enter Sleaford via cycle path by McDs. This change is due to the day time B1188 not being the nicest of roads to be on. Very slightly longer but the backroad route is flatter.

Plenty of opportunity to meet and greet riders going the other way.

Sleaford has a Travelodge, a 24/7 McDs and Spoons. For the Lincolnshire folk it only a quick dash to Essex. Once you get back to Crowland you are on home turf!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be right this should start from Goole. Just saying  ;) Nowt to do with my owd lass living there at all.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
To be right this should start from Goole. Just saying  ;) Nowt to do with my owd lass living there at all.

You could do my permanent 'Flatliner 600km' version, starting anywhere, reversed etc...

Deano4

• Trouble
To hell with it, I’m in!
ACME - Suffolk Branch

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I'm in (starting from the Essex end). I've not done the Flatlands before so any route discussion about cabbage patches and the like is lost on me. Something to look forward to, I'm sure.

This looks like a good candidate for my first 600 on fixed.  :thumbsup:

I've already pre-qualified for PBP but this and the Fairies 300 will round off my SR for this year nicely.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rob

I hadn’t noticed until this week but going round t’other way means I get to my usual overnight stop earlier.  Bit of an early start Sunday morning, though.

I'm in (starting from the Essex end). I've not done the Flatlands before so any route discussion about cabbage patches and the like is lost on me. Something to look forward to, I'm sure.

This looks like a good candidate for my first 600 on fixed.  :thumbsup:

Correct.

citoyen

Considering sleep options... A recce on Google Street View suggests plenty of potential bivvy spots on the leg between Kirton and Lincoln. And, as noted on the route sheet, a good number of 5* Audax Hotels! Just a question of whether I can get to any of them before they become fully occupied...

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Considering sleep options... A recce on Google Street View suggests plenty of potential bivvy spots on the leg between Kirton and Lincoln. And, as noted on the route sheet, a good number of 5* Audax Hotels! Just a question of whether I can get to any of them before they become fully occupied...

Most people aim for Canwick Permier Inn at the top of the climb out of Lincoln, or the audax hotels a few miles thereafter.  Tomsk has conveniently kept that short leg of the reverse route the same as the standard Flatlands route, presumably so we can take advantage of the resources available.  With a tail wind, it's possible to get to Goole by about 8.30pm — as we did in 2013 — and it's the shorter leg to the turn this year, so likely some will.  Another four hours' riding to sleep-o'clock nicely aligns with a Canwick/Branston sleepover, as per previous years — thank you Tom :thumbsup:

When I say "we" above, I'm still undecided, but I feel I might ride it this year, as my card-stamping duties at Red Lodge are not required (since it's now the last control and riders will be spread out).  I've ridden the standard route three times — twice on 16-inch wheels and once on gears, and I think it would be "nice" to ride the reverse, and to ride it fixed   :facepalm: :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

citoyen

Canwick is already fully booked, and Lincoln city centre is asking £97, so sod that.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
Canwick is already fully booked, and Lincoln city centre is asking £97, so sod that.

Ay, that's the usual situation.

I have a favourite gateway that I'd use ... except we don't go back that way this year. 

Bivvy bag under a hedge it's likely to be ...

rob

Boab/ChrisS tandem found somewhere boutique in Epworth in 2015.   I recall IanH finding a B&B just after Canwick as well.

There is a Travelodge at the other end of the Lincoln bypass but it's a bit of a detour.

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
Those riding Y via E have a completely different set of options. Some may choose the new Travelodge en route in Spalding, or camp out on the benches on the cycle path to Lincoln along side the river. Big bus shelter in Crowland. New huge 24/7 services south of Spalding offers space too.Plenty of benches on the WaterRailway. When riding the perm I have soldiered on to the Isle of Axholme to sleep in the warmer morning sun behind a hedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
I found a very nice bench in Lincoln for half an hour in 2015 - but I'm keeping its location secret in case I need it this year.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

I'm planning on the usual no sleep and avoid the ride into the second night strategy I take on this one. Nearly fell apart last year and ended up in a 2* bus shelter for 20 minutes in Pinchbeck.

Hopefully the weather will be OK and a quick kip in a field in the sun will be possible on the Sunday. I am looking forward to doing the reversed route and hoping the new steed is ready by then, otherwise it will be fixed....or plastic, too early to decide that detail  :thumbsup:

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
I've just sliced'n'diced the current version of the Fenland Friends route into various lengths, point-counts and formats to suit all-comers!  :thumbsup:

Not that there's any hurry, but you can now download the routes from the page listed on AUKWEB here —

http://www.camaudax.uk/tom/fenland-friends-2018/

If there are any changes to the route nearer the time — and we're still three months away! — then I'll update the downloadable routes on that page.

I'm still not "in", but if I decide to pit my sanity against the Fenland Cabbage Patch again then I'll be navigating by routesheet, naturally*  ::-)

* although these days I know most of the route by heart anyway.

LMT

On the radar, will make for a pleasant change going through Cambridge early morning, rather than on the Sunday afternoon in previous years when I have done this ride.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

I am in....need to sit and work out a stratergy on Monday or Tuesday AM - 1st 600...done 3 X 400 since Brevet Cymru....

Entered this. Will be my first 600.

Question: best way of getting to the start without a car? Bikes not allowed on Stansted Express, so Elsenham?