Author Topic: Dutch brevets in 2018  (Read 28806 times)

Re: Dutch brevets in 2018
« Reply #125 on: 14 August, 2018, 10:34:31 am »

I recently joined the forum hoping to find out more about UK brevets (UK expat based in the Netherlands) with the aim of maybe
having a go at one (one day...) - but was pleasantly surprised to see there is also a thread for the Dutch brevets here.

I was also present Saturday in Overveen, having completed this brevet last year i had some idea what to expect, conditions were
similar but i think the wind this year was a little less testing and more west than southwest. I live in the south east of the Netherlands where
the wind is not really an issue so its always a welcome change to do a coastal brevet. What always amazes me is where does all the time go ?
I set off with the intention to keep the pauses to a minumum but still ended up spending over 2 hours at the various control points, ferry crossing etc..

Regards,

Alan

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #126 on: 14 August, 2018, 05:22:46 pm »

Blimey, the organiser of Saturdays ride is efficient! Just found my Brevetted card from Saturday has been through Homologation, and delivered by hand (no stamp), to my mailbox. Most impressed. Have photographed it and emailed the auk recorder.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #127 on: 14 August, 2018, 06:58:54 pm »
Homologations are also posted on lowlands1000.nl The last three are still to be uploaded though.

« Reply #128 on: 16 August, 2018, 10:15:21 pm »
For those of you who still need a 600 for their PBP pre-qualification (or fancy a 600 on the continent), we still offer a 600 this year, on the 8th of september.

https://www.randonneurs.nl/event/brm-600-boekelo-nl-sauerland/

The ride mainly goes through Germany into the Sauerland mountains. The early evening section is quite lumpy, the highest point is well over 600m altitude.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #129 on: 22 August, 2018, 02:29:07 pm »
I'm tempted to attempt a Dutch ride at some point; I've got friends in Bergen NH; are there any starting around Alkmaar? or at least between either Hoek or Ijmuiden and Den Helder? as that would work best for fitting visiting them with it!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #130 on: 22 August, 2018, 03:21:46 pm »
I'm tempted to attempt a Dutch ride at some point; I've got friends in Bergen NH; are there any starting around Alkmaar? or at least between either Hoek or Ijmuiden and Den Helder? as that would work best for fitting visiting them with it!

The Maasland 300 a few weeks back started just 10km from Hoek van Holland, infact you cycle past the ferry terminal on the return leg. It also went all the way up to Alkmaar. There was a 400 ride that started in Amsterdam, and last week there was a 200km from Overveen (17km west of Amsterdam). I don't know what rides will run next year, but of the rides left this year, there is a 200 in November from Bergen Op Zoom (south of Rotterdam, almost Belgium). But I think that's the closest to the areas you're talking about.

However, do remember that public transport in .nl is pretty damn good. From Alkmaar you can easily get a train to Maastrict for any of the BRM's there, or to Utrecht, and thence to Bunnik for the rides run from there. The Boekelo rides are harder by public transport from the Randstat (I have a hotel booked for the Boekelo 300 in October).

Are you thinking of doing a ride this year, or next?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

simonp

« Reply #131 on: 22 August, 2018, 03:25:22 pm »
I have entered a rowing regatta on the 8th so can't ride, otherwise I'd be tempted.

I can't ride on 22nd for the BGB 600k - helping to run a learn to row course.

I can't ride the spanish 1000k in October, even if I thought I could be fit enough, either.

400k will have to do.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #132 on: 22 August, 2018, 05:31:02 pm »

The Maasland 300 a few weeks back started just 10km from Hoek van Holland, infact you cycle past the ferry terminal on the return leg. It also went all the way up to Alkmaar. There was a 400 ride that started in Amsterdam, and last week there was a 200km from Overveen (17km west of Amsterdam). I don't know what rides will run next year, but of the rides left this year, there is a 200 in November from Bergen Op Zoom (south of Rotterdam, almost Belgium). But I think that's the closest to the areas you're talking about.

However, do remember that public transport in .nl is pretty damn good. From Alkmaar you can easily get a train to Maastrict for any of the BRM's there, or to Utrecht, and thence to Bunnik for the rides run from there. The Boekelo rides are harder by public transport from the Randstat (I have a hotel booked for the Boekelo 300 in October).

Are you thinking of doing a ride this year, or next?

J

Probably next calendar year and probably after PBP (whether I make it there or not); good point on the trains the time restrictions sort of make it tricky more expensive

I've done the journey from Alkmaar to Maastrict (and on to Liege where I failed to find the town centre...); involved a freezing cold ride over the golf course fietspad with tiny near useless lights and then observing how the train basically worked as a long distance series of commuter trains. Den Helder -> Alkmaar -> Amsterdam -> Eindhoven -> Utrecht and then suddenly it was just me and a few others to Maastrict.

« Reply #133 on: 22 August, 2018, 06:15:06 pm »
For those of you who still need a 600 for their PBP pre-qualification (or fancy a 600 on the continent), we still offer a 600 this year, on the 8th of september.

The ride mainly goes through Germany into the Sauerland mountains. The early evening section is quite lumpy, the highest point is well over 600m altitude.
Tempting...

Maybe you've answered this elsewhere so please forgive me, but in your opinion, what are the "must do" Dutch rides? I've been thinking about rides on the continent ever since Borders of Belgium and living near Newcastle, meaning I can jump on a ferry straight to Amsterdam, makes it eminently doable.

« Reply #134 on: 22 August, 2018, 06:32:24 pm »

Tempting...

Maybe you've answered this elsewhere so please forgive me, but in your opinion, what are the "must do" Dutch rides? I've been thinking about rides on the continent ever since Borders of Belgium and living near Newcastle, meaning I can jump on a ferry straight to Amsterdam, makes it eminently doable.

Well, the Dutch rides do differ enormously in character. You have the lumpy Maastricht rides into the remote Ardennes or the 600s from Merselo which are mostly pancake flat through the Netherlands. Or the Boeklo 300 which offers the maximum in different Dutch countryside. The Overloon 200 which has a lot of arrow straight dikes with a headwind.

« Reply #135 on: 22 August, 2018, 08:01:29 pm »
For variety of Dutch landscape, you can't beat the Boekelo 300 (as Ivo suggested). I haven't ridden it yet, but I know the area well enough to back his suggestion. A personal favorite is Boekelo-Zwolle-Boekelo 200 (this year in November, starting from Zwolle), 200 km of lovely country lanes and excellent bike paths. As a person from the flattest part of the country, I also really enjoy the lumpy brevets from Maastricht, but these mainly go through Belgium/Germany/France etc. Not very typical for the Netherlands.

On a side note: Besides the 600 from Boekelo, there is also a 200 from Groningen in September. I did the route check last weekend and (in my biased opinion), it's a nice route with quite some diverse scenery (forest, heath, rivers, polders). A good ride for those that already have the prequalification for PBP in the bag and just want an easy ride abroad  ;D

« Reply #136 on: 23 August, 2018, 12:28:23 pm »
Dank je. I'm going to look into this a bit more. Quite like the idea of some winter audaxing on the continent.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #137 on: 23 August, 2018, 01:16:34 pm »
For variety of Dutch landscape, you can't beat the Boekelo 300 (as Ivo suggested). I haven't ridden it yet, but I know the area well enough to back his suggestion. A personal favorite is Boekelo-Zwolle-Boekelo 200 (this year in November, starting from Zwolle), 200 km of lovely country lanes and excellent bike paths. As a person from the flattest part of the country, I also really enjoy the lumpy brevets from Maastricht, but these mainly go through Belgium/Germany/France etc. Not very typical for the Netherlands.

On a side note: Besides the 600 from Boekelo, there is also a 200 from Groningen in September. I did the route check last weekend and (in my biased opinion), it's a nice route with quite some diverse scenery (forest, heath, rivers, polders). A good ride for those that already have the prequalification for PBP in the bag and just want an easy ride abroad  ;D

Groningen does sound good as I've not explored that side of the Netherlands yet, but I'm short on holidays as I've booked almost all of them already, hence why I need to wait till late next year :-(.

« Reply #138 on: 28 August, 2018, 09:12:14 am »
I will need to be in Utrecht for a couple of days prior to the Groningen ride at the end of September. Does anybody know if it is likely to be possible to hire a bike either in Utrecht or Groningen which might be suitable for riding 200 km? There seem to be plenty of options to hire a shopper, but so far I haven't seen much else available.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #139 on: 28 August, 2018, 10:33:05 am »
I will need to be in Utrecht for a couple of days prior to the Groningen ride at the end of September. Does anybody know if it is likely to be possible to hire a bike either in Utrecht or Groningen which might be suitable for riding 200 km? There seem to be plenty of options to hire a shopper, but so far I haven't seen much else available.

Nothing wrong with riding an Oma Fiets; managed to keep up with my mate while riding his wife's one doing the school run (we were a tad late...), the speed was fast enough to get the toddlers trailer on one wheel on one corner and for kids from another school to cheer us on. was in a rush and forgot to Strava it so no idea how fast I was actually pushing it.

Probably be fine for a flat 200  :P

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #140 on: 28 August, 2018, 12:27:31 pm »

Hmmm. Sounds like a not-entirely-ludicrous challenge ...

(you do know that Utrecht is about 200k from Groningen I hope?!? )

How much is bike hire? Bearing in mind I/we would need slightly unusual pickup/return times!

Is Groningen somewhere a Brit would enjoy visiting in late September? (or should I hire a shopper in Amsterdam and ride over?? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #141 on: 28 August, 2018, 12:35:06 pm »

I'm in Utrecht and have a spare bike I could lend you if you want/if it's suitable for you - Condor Fratello, 55cm.   

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #142 on: 28 August, 2018, 12:38:44 pm »
A hire bike would hopefully have reliable lights; so I see the biggest/fiddliest/annoying challenge being navigation. How to attach a GPS to an unknown bike?!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #143 on: 28 August, 2018, 05:27:16 pm »

Hmmm. Sounds like a not-entirely-ludicrous challenge ...

(you do know that Utrecht is about 200k from Groningen I hope?!? )

How much is bike hire? Bearing in mind I/we would need slightly unusual pickup/return times!

Is Groningen somewhere a Brit would enjoy visiting in late September? (or should I hire a shopper in Amsterdam and ride over?? )

There are trains from Utrecht to Groningen (they leave every 30 minutes and take less than two hours).

Groningen is a lively university town (plenty of bars, cafes, music venues) with a reasonably well-preserved old city centre and a good modern arts museum. I don't know if Brits in particular would enjoy visiting the town, but I do see tourists around.

Renting a normal Dutch city bike (singlespeed, coaster brake, decent lights, 20kg of steel) can be as cheap as 5 euro per day. I've often thought about doing a brevet on one of them. Normally I can maintain an average speed of around 20 km/h on this type of bike, so it should be doable. As the organizer of the Groningen event: if any of you actually manage to complete the brevet on a normal Dutch city bike, then I'll buy you a beer (or beverage of your choice) at the finish  ;D

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #144 on: 28 August, 2018, 05:41:36 pm »
Renting a normal Dutch city bike (singlespeed, coaster brake, decent lights, 20kg of steel) can be as cheap as 5 euro per day. I've often thought about doing a brevet on one of them. Normally I can maintain an average speed of around 20 km/h on this type of bike, so it should be doable. As the organizer of the Groningen event: if any of you actually manage to complete the brevet on a normal Dutch city bike, then I'll buy you a beer (or beverage of your choice) at the finish  ;D
Right; I'm quoting this before you see sense and edit your post!  I note you did not say "complete the brevet in time"; so I guess the only question is how late you can buy a beer (for me) in Groningen :) And can I get beer with my breakfast in your cafes??

[I must admit I was hoping for at least 3 speeds ... the problems are starting to stack up against me now ... :P ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #145 on: 28 August, 2018, 05:49:39 pm »
If you manage to finish before 7am, we can still find a döner shop that will sell beer and food :P

I've seen guys in the UK doing ridiculously hilly brevets on a fixed gear bike. You can do my flatter-than-flat brevet on a singlespeed.

« Reply #146 on: 29 August, 2018, 07:29:26 pm »
Mark, thanks very much for your offer. Unfortunately which ever way I look at it bringing enough stuff over to make it practical would most likely require that I at least ditch the laptop, which might not go down well for future employment opportunities. That might leave the possibility of going native and doing it in jeans and a shirt on an omafiets, although even the thought of 200 km on one of those saddles is a bit painful.

« Reply #147 on: 02 September, 2018, 01:18:55 pm »
The Boekelo 600 is getting quite popular, over 50 riders already entered. If you're still doubting, please enter the event via https://www.randonneurs.nl/event/brm-600-boekelo-nl-sauerland/
For those who already entered, please arrive on time to prevent a big queue in the last 15 minutes before the start.

« Reply #148 on: 28 September, 2018, 07:03:10 am »
The Boekelo 600 was a blast participant's wise.
Gert, the Boekelo organiser, is sailing straight on to his next brevet, a 300k from Boekelo to Flevoland and back. It's held on saturday 6th of october. I've done this one a few times, it's a very nice route with constantly changing scenery. You can enter the ride (and download the track) via https://www.randonneurs.nl/event/brm-300-boekelo-nl-rondje-flevopolder/

Two weeks later we head down south for a 200 through the Brabant province. The start is in the cyclingcafé de Velosoof in Eindhoven on the 20th of october. https://www.randonneurs.nl/event/brm-200-eindhoven-nl-rondje-brabant/

Both events start at 9h00.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #149 on: 28 September, 2018, 09:34:59 am »
The Boekelo 600 was a blast participant's wise.
As was the 200km brevet in Groningen last week: 59 riders. Which is a lot I think, considering that a) this brevet was not useful for people who want to ride PBP and b) many think Groningen is a very remote place (never mind that it's just two hours by train from Amsterdam). It was also a blast riding; quite literally sometimes because of the strong wind.

As a local, I must admit it was a real treat to be able to sleep in (9am is considered a civilised starting time for audax in the Netherlands) and have a hot shower shortly afterwards  8)