Author Topic: Hamburg-Berlin-Cologne 2018  (Read 12458 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Hamburg-Berlin-Cologne 2018
« Reply #50 on: 04 August, 2018, 10:15:13 pm »
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #51 on: 05 August, 2018, 06:08:08 am »
That link doesn’t seem to work, Salvatore
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #52 on: 05 August, 2018, 07:45:39 am »
Try www.cycle-regman.de , select the 5.super-brevet, then ergebnisse (extreme right).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #53 on: 05 August, 2018, 08:59:58 pm »
It has been an eventful day. Meeting Salvatore for morning tea, not too long afterwards HK's rear derailleur cable started unravelling. Though I carry spare cables, something was blocking this cable casing (under the handlebar tape) virtually airtight. Even unwrapping the tape and completely removing the casing didn't let me clear it. HK ended up riding quite a distance in three gears with a couple of well-sized rocks selecting which cog she used. Not the easiest riding, given we've entered the hilly section of the brevet.

Juliana Neuss of Brompton fame is coming out before breakfast to replace the dodgy cable casing for us. I've always wanted to meet her but unfortunately we won't have time to chat. As that line goes, "Time is miles" and we're now a little behind where we need to be.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #54 on: 06 August, 2018, 01:59:00 pm »
Thanks for the update. I was in Grosshansdorf when LWaB called, and wonderedhow things were going.

I slept last night at Grossensee near the start, and now I'm on my way to gatecrash the control at Lindern (c 1300 km for the riders). Yesterday was cooler and cloudier, but today is hot again. The Berlin controller said he had to persuade several riders to continue. He told them they had 12 hours in hand, and should eat, drink and doze in the shade for a while before coming to a decision (with some successes but some failures).

mattc and Brymbo arrived at Ditfurt some time about 4 am, but LWaB, HK, postie and John Berkman, having spent a night in a hotel, were last to arrive, just as I was walking back down through the village taking down the direction arrows.

I also met fillipi otp(and this thread) and chatted to him for a while. Top chap if you get the chance to meet him.

Overshadowing everything (but probably not so apparent to the riders) is the recent death of Heino which I mentioned above. It has left a big hole in the club.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #55 on: 07 August, 2018, 02:35:33 pm »
I'm riding quite near the route today and it's horribly hot. Even in the shade the wind blows hot air over you. A gust feels like opening an oven door.

I must admit to a touch of envy when I saw the riders start on Saturday, but not today.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #56 on: 07 August, 2018, 05:28:20 pm »
I'm riding quite near the route today and it's horribly hot. Even in the shade the wind blows hot air over you. A gust feels like opening an oven door.

I must admit to a touch of envy when I saw the riders start on Saturday, but not today.

Forecast for cooler the next couple of days but storms likely...
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #57 on: 07 August, 2018, 06:27:35 pm »
It's downhill with a tailwind all the way to the finish tomorrow.

But it's going to be HOT, HOT, HOT !

35ºC up here, so rather mild on the flats of Germany.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #58 on: 08 August, 2018, 07:33:22 am »
It's quiet at the Lindern control at the moment (5 bikes outside, 1 rider eating, 4 sleeping). 38 riders are on the way from Messinghausen. Pleasantly cloudy, storms forecast, but cooler (31°) than yesterday (40° allegedly).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #59 on: 08 August, 2018, 08:40:19 am »
When Gert Beumer in the black and red QuattroVelo Velomobile arrives, say hello from me!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #60 on: 08 August, 2018, 10:40:38 am »
Looks like the British contingent are taking a relaxed approach with 'pending' times still in place for Lindern as of wednesday morning.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #61 on: 09 August, 2018, 01:49:48 am »
A bit out of date now but this was composed yesterday evening:

All 6 plucky Brits (+ Minty) had arrived at Lindern by the time I left at 4 pm.

Postie &'John Berkman looked very 'fresh' according to Inge (compared to other riders), as they should having had a hotel every night, and were aiming for a pre-midnight finish.

HK & LWaB were aiming to find digs in Winsen and ride the last 50 km tomorrow morning. After their delays through a mechanical, a German rider foolishly suggested to Judith that they would struggle on the Köln loop, and should head straight to the finish.

Mattc and Brymbo were getting some kip and intended to ride through the night to the finish.

Bob Watts arrived before I left having had plenty of sleep.

Gerd had had some sort of mechanical - a piece of aluminum supporting his derailleur had split, but he'd managed fine with a temporary fix and I've seen a tweet where he reported an average 40kph on the leg after Lindern.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #62 on: 09 August, 2018, 03:41:48 am »
Just packing up in Fintel with 110km to do. Time is miles, as they say.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #63 on: 09 August, 2018, 08:25:28 am »
Don't you lot go to sleep ?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #64 on: 09 August, 2018, 10:37:00 am »
We had done the sleeping thing already and there is a time difference between Germany and the UK. In many places, there is a limit to how late you can check in, so we tend to stop earlier than would otherwise be the case.

I think all of the Brits made it round. The good weather noticeably improved the DNF rate for this edition. There were two finishers out of time.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #65 on: 13 August, 2018, 08:19:40 pm »
This was my "big trip" for 2018. Almost entirely enjoyable - generally very :)

Main recollections:

- heat. Frequent roadsides displays over 35'c
- pretty (and varied) flat run out to 300k
- immaculate road surfaces
- lovely people at the controls (and some riders ;) )
- bonkers hilly middle bit - like a chevron-free bigger mid-Wales.
- getting bored of petrol stations (although a couple were amaaaaazing)
- leapfroging always cheery, sometimes f*cked-looking Thai riders
- ... who mostly spoke no English, unlike their WAGs. Odd that.
- several 4am bedtimes
- an education on the old East Germany (and how to tell when you're riding through it)
- *proper* echelon riding (an Audax first) in a cross-tailwind on the Day 5 flatlands
- wasps. and flies. And flies keeping me awake.
- controls with character (a swimming baths?? Really?)
- astonishing deserts. and pretty decent savoury stuff just about everywhere.
- snorers.
- ... earplugs
- ... ... sleeping tablets
- proper swoopy descents
- realising we had to ride back up one. Oops.
- foxes, wandering the tarmac
- the electric Thai massager, seemingly at every control, running 24x7
- garden hose shower in the sun.
- controls with shooting galleries
- wasp stings (luckily mine didn't flair up - unlike LWAB's face :D )
- disappointing lack of beer+wurst at manned controls
- plain-looking but *perfect* randonneur food at every manned control
- Baron von Brymbo's utter disgust at my pigeon German.
- a gorgeous route, courteous drivers, sensible cycle-paths in places.
- a pretty bloody stylish event jersey
- ... and other actually rather nice free tat.

Pictures later.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #66 on: 13 August, 2018, 08:37:22 pm »
report from the Nauen (publicen bad) control. Not sure if there will be more!

http://www.audaxclub-sh.de/BHK2018NauenBericht

Seems that 2 riders packed on day 1, heat issues.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #67 on: 13 August, 2018, 08:44:08 pm »

« Reply #68 on: 13 August, 2018, 09:36:59 pm »
Good snaps!  A great ride and no night riding.  A hotel bed every night after the usual pre bed beer . starting with smashed legs after the alpi 4000 in italy was never the best idea, but the body held out just.

I really enjoyed my second hbkh 1500 with may highs ,meeting many interesting riders and even the great john spooner was there to see us.

Finished Wednesday night and had a great time drinking beer with Dutch and German riders.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #69 on: 14 August, 2018, 06:44:09 am »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #70 on: 14 August, 2018, 06:34:19 pm »
- immaculate road surfaces
- proper swoopy descents
This meant those of us who aren't able to match postie's daytime riding regime were able to make decent progress at night.  You could descend relatively fast without fear of disappearing down a pothole.  mattc and I managed to make it such that Wednesday night was the only one we rode through completely, which wasn't so bad because we'd then returned to flat riding in the former Bundesrepublik (so no Trabis or watchtowers to spot, as on day 1).

- snorers.
- ... earplugs
- ... ... sleeping tablets
A drawback of buddying up with me.

- realising we had to ride back up one. Oops.
A drawback of buddying up with you.

- controls with shooting galleries
The only place where a Browning feels properly at home.

- Baron von Brymbo's utter disgust at my pigeon German.
He's even less impressed by your pidgin English.

Despite there being very few starters for such a long ride this was a very social event.  All the AUK riders appear to have buddied up:

postie and veloboy
LWaB and HK
mattc and Brymbo
Bob Watts and Vincent Sy (the ever-calm Bob seemed to be always accompanied by a gaggle of oriental riders, but Vincent was a constant companion)

After a group ride to the first intermediate (petrol station) control at Wittenberge we generally crossed paths at controls as we leapfrogged each other due to differing sleep strategies.  There was also a large contingent of Chinese (from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore) and Thais we often met and sometimes rode with.  Charles Pang from Hong Kong latched onto Matt and myself for some of the first two days (I'm proud of being able to introduce him to home-cooked paniertes Schnitzel, Salzkartoffeln, and Salat in Mackenrode).

As usual I didn't have much of a ride strategy except perhaps find a hotel at about 300km or make the first stop at the 450km Ditfurt control.  Lack of hotel beds at 300km forced me on to Ditfurt.  Fortunately for me I rode all the second day with mattc, who'd booked a hotel at Lütgenrode (600km).  I was able to book a room and had a wonderful 7 hours sleep that night.  This set me up for the remainder of the ride, where I was able to get away with less sleep without getting exhausted.

All in all an excellent and very enjoyable event.  I'd recommend it to anyone who can get around PBP or LEL.  I certainly feel much less beaten up after HBK than those events.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #71 on: 14 August, 2018, 07:09:34 pm »
Bit of a shame though they didn't register it for homologation at LRM or the ACP. Anyone know why they didn't?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #72 on: 14 August, 2018, 07:50:33 pm »
Bit of a shame though they didn't register it for homologation at LRM or the ACP. Anyone know why they didn't?

Oh no, here we go !

Only Prince Albert has worked it out, but he's dead I'm afraid.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #73 on: 14 August, 2018, 08:04:01 pm »
You can read about it here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=73463.msg1746807#msg1746807
And I suspect in more detail here: http://forum.audax.uk/index.php?topic=216.msg2026#msg2026

KEY POINT is that the organisers had no choice - there in an ongoing "issue" between themselves and those higher-up the international audax pyramid.

Feel free to add to those discussions linked to above if you have any suggestions/opinions  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #74 on: 14 August, 2018, 08:43:09 pm »
Apologies, didn't know this was such a loaded question :D (and well before I got into audax / yacf)