Author Topic: Fort William 1000  (Read 20745 times)

Re: Fort William 1000
« Reply #25 on: 15 December, 2018, 10:45:53 am »
For UK riders, it's often part of the "fun" to look at different options. It's very rare for an organiser to create something bad enough that riders later regret not doing their own research!
<snip>
Best to either ignore these posts, or just read with a cautious eye until much closer to Le Depart. Unless you enjoy joining in with the route-planning :)
Thanks, I'll just take these posts with a grain of salt. And, somewhere in June, I'll try to figure out the optimal route...
There are three sections on this ride where there are (imo) sensible 'options' (and these apply to the Inverness 1200 ride as well, of course). I don't know which ones Andy will adopt in his routesheet. I exclude the detail of the route NW from Lesmahagow to Strathaven - for discussion see the yacf Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool thread.
My draft route (truncated at Paisley on the way back) is: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28889542?beta=false
1&2) From Hambleton (19k) to Stake Pool (29k) - can save a mile (and is faster in daylight (MP1K)) by using minor roads rather than A road (both ways)
3&4) Beetham (S of Milnthorpe on A6)(68k) to Kendal (82k) - NB exactly same distance/climb but Natland Road avoids trunk A roads (both ways,  lunchtime on Day 1).
3) Paisley to Inveraray - discussed above. I favour the Helensburgh route (extra 6k) to stay off the Loch Lomond A82/adjacent cycle path. Attracted by the cycle path to Greenock and then either of the ferry options (Gare Loch or Holy Loch) for additional audaciousness points, but the wait for ferries can be a time suck. First ferry timings (0630) mean its not an option for riders pushing on.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #26 on: 15 December, 2018, 11:03:55 am »
Another one is the route between Ballachulish and Fort Bill.
If you get the timings right you could use the Corran and Camusnagal ferries...

Corran runs from "Nether Lochaber" (Onich) 0630 to 2130 with the last sailing from Ardgour at 2120.

The camusnagaul ferry sails 4/5 times a day, but if your timing suits and traffic is horiffic...

« Reply #27 on: 15 December, 2018, 03:10:48 pm »
Four years ago during the event organised by Black Sheep I disliked the road from Fort William to Glencoe very much and did a detour around Loch Leven (appr. 15 miles extra). Left Fort William om the A82 around eight in the morning and found myself on a road full of buses and trucks.

Still have to do my write up of L-E-L '17.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #28 on: 15 December, 2018, 04:35:27 pm »
Four years ago during the event organised by Black Sheep I disliked the road from Fort William to Glencoe very much and did a detour around Loch Leven (appr. 15 miles extra). Left Fort William om the A82 around eight in the morning and found myself on a road full of buses and trucks.

Are you sure it was Loch Leven? All that would have done is avoided the Ballachulish Bridge (The turn off at the north is about 200m before the bridge) and a short section of A82 past Ballaculish and Glen Coe Villages, on that section there is (or at least now is) a decent enough bit of tarmac off to the side that is rideable.  You do have to hop on and off the shared use between the ferry and the bridge as in some bits it's a nice 3m wide strip of tarmac and in other bits you'd have to ride on the kerb to avoid clipping the wall...  ::-)

If there wasn't a Crianlarich Control I'd be tempted to avoid the climb of Glen Coe and return to Paisley using the route via Inverary and Helensburgh, BUT that's about 65km longer.

However the great thing about the trunk roads in Scotland is because they go places that are far apart, after mid-evening there's very little traffic.

If you decided to chance the Camusnagaul ferry option and missed it, it's a 37km detour round Loch Eil.
The Road to the Isles can be a bit of a shambles, but most of the time you simply need to wait until the traffic that got off the ferry at Mallaig has passed and you'll have it mostly to yourself until Kilmallie.

The only bits of the A82 that concern me are the bit between the Corran Ferry Slipway and Fort Bill (both directions), and between Crianlarich and Alexandria.
In both cases iffy weather is our friend!

« Reply #29 on: 15 December, 2018, 04:45:43 pm »
all this worry about the A82 though, on a Saturday/Sunday when most will hit it ? is it really any worse than the roads I do on my commute daily ?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #30 on: 15 December, 2018, 09:52:15 pm »
all this worry about the A82 though, on a Saturday/Sunday when most will hit it ? is it really any worse than the roads I do on my commute daily ?

Depends, what road you commute on...

As I said before, the A82 can be stupid busy or it can be utterly deserted, weather, time of year and time of day are everything to how you experience it.

The whole road came to a grinding halt on Rannoch Muir last winter when everyone tried to go skiing at the back corries on the same day.
From the video I posted (I think it was on the 1200) that was a minging day in the mid-afternoon, it wasn't bad at all; wind forward a year from that photo and on a blistering hot day, that was also a Glasgow holiday Monday and on that same climb at no point did I not have a car on the tail and a load of terrible passes to go with it, it wasn't fun.

The other problem is that these roads follow tourist routes as well as being critical for locals and business getting around the west coast, so there's speed differentials between holidaymakers staring at the surroundings, or crawling because the twisty road scares the crap out of them because they're used to urban roads and motorways and the locals who are absolutely hammering it whenever they can.

The truncated rule for single track roads is as follows:
Red Van - It's a post van, get out the way, the postie knows every little bump on the road
Local Car - Driver will know how to handle the passing places so just roll in and tell them to pass
Tourist - Will put themselves off the road at the sight of anything else on the road, if they stay on the road they are likely to stop suddenly in passing places, on the wrong side or even in a bog that looked like a passing place.  Don't expect them to understand the concepts of passing...

This translates into the trunk/primary roads as:
Red Van - Postie, has a speed limiter fitted, expect to have the accelerator floored because it's easier than holding it in the right place. Will use the full width of the available road.
Local - No speed limiter fitter, expect to have the accelerator floored most of the time, use the full width of available road and generally not hang back
Tourists - Moving chicanes for the above

The timings for what I'm expecting to do only indicate that the bit between Ballaculish and Fort Bill may be a bit rubbish; this is also the bit where it's not uncommon for the police and contractors to be fishing wrecked cars out of the embankment vegetation and occasionally the loch...

The road into the Erskine Bridge on the way back is also a bit rubbish from Tarbet down (traffic joins from the A82 and A83 routes); and then turns into a dual carriageway past Alexandria.
I rode from Alexandria up to Arden once and wished I wasn't there, that was early-afternoon in August, I returned the same way and spotted the cycle track which appears to start at Tarbet but also seems to be a bit crap.

I understand it's one of the reasons that the Daylight/Twilight 600 hasn't been run for a few years, and when I mentioned attempting it the first response was along the lines of "start at night (at queensferry), so you get to Crianlarich late enough for a quiet ride up the Muir"
Rather than do that we're planning based on a mild-march so go after the ski season... it'll be deserted as it'll be too snowy on the tops for anyone not owning crampons and there won't be enough ice and snow low down for the ski-ers and ice climbers... or that's the hope.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #31 on: 15 December, 2018, 10:10:26 pm »
Rannoch - A82 stuck with Ski Traffic
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/2118958/glencoe-ski-centres-travel-chaos-a82/

Loch Ness - 2017 summary of carnage
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/1300590/disruption-for-highland-drivers-after-two-crashes-on-busy-a82/

Consider also the variation in experiences reported on here:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=49903

Something I would say is Mike F's post is my experience, it used to be pretty quiet even at busy times, like you would rarely need to slow down for the Tulla Bridge at the foot of the Blackmount as you'd be able to adjust speed on the descent based on what you see as far as Bridge of ORchy; now there's almost always a long line of vehicles... and every time I get there it's a bloody coach no point even hoping the other drivers will know you can (just) get 2 cars through at once.
THis one: https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4756295

« Reply #32 on: 18 December, 2018, 05:50:31 pm »
Rannoch - A82 stuck with Ski Traffic
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/2118958/glencoe-ski-centres-travel-chaos-a82/

stupid bloody drivers !!! thanks for the section above much appreciated to think about when the suggested route is out

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #33 on: 18 December, 2018, 05:53:43 pm »
Ideally Sustrans and the council would get together and work out how to turn the Telford road into an all purpose path and how to provide sections alongside the current road where the 2 follow the same alignment (surprisingly not very often)

« Reply #34 on: 21 January, 2019, 02:20:39 pm »
Whoops, signed up. May do the old Military Rd after FW thru Kinlochmore to Altnafeadh just for a laugh... :smug:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #35 on: 21 January, 2019, 05:59:32 pm »
Whoops, signed up. May do the old Military Rd after FW thru Kinlochmore to Altnafeadh just for a laugh... :smug:

I've heard that the "road" from KL to the top of the staircase was "Improved" over the summer;
It was a fun descent with all the rock pavements, although last time I was up there it was frozen and snowy which resulted in an interesting descent of the staircase.

« Reply #36 on: 15 March, 2019, 02:51:52 pm »
Room booked at the local Premier Inn for Thursday night. PM me if you want the 'couch'

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #37 on: 15 May, 2019, 06:47:59 pm »
Quick update: Everybody who's entered should have had an email sometime over last weekend; but for those that don't know already I've managed to secure the use of the bunk-house at the start control for use the night before the event (Thursday 04 July). I can now offer entrants a room for the night before the event for an additional charge of £12.70. There's about 50 beds in total!

More details on the event website at: https://burnleyccevents.com/fort-william-1000-05-july-2019/

Event info' and route-sheet on its way within the next few days. The same applies to the Inverness 1200!

Andy Corless
Organiser
Fort William 1000

« Reply #38 on: 16 May, 2019, 09:59:38 am »
Andy,

Is there a way to book one of these bunks?

Andy Corless

« Reply #39 on: 16 May, 2019, 01:05:00 pm »
YHPM

Andy Corless

« Reply #40 on: 26 May, 2019, 03:27:54 pm »
All those that entered should have by now received their provisional event information.

The route instructions still need 1 or 2 amendments so have been withheld for another 2 weeks as I'm currently away on a cycling holiday.

For those that don't know already overnight (bunk) accommodation in the event HQ is available for the night before the event (Thursday 04 July) for an additional charge of £12.70 (see event website for further details - link attached below).

Camping will also be available for an additional charge of £4 per night which will be payable on the day.

There'll be an event jersey available for purchase soon, typically costing £35 - £45 each. More details when I return from holiday next Sunday.

We've just about reached the limit on entries but with a few already dropped out I'll allow a few more in so entries are still open at present (see AUK calendar webpage for further details - link attached below).

Hope all your training is going well.

The same applies to the Inverness 1200 ride.

http://www.burnleyccevents.com/fort-william-1000-05-july-2019/

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-586/

Andy Corless

« Reply #41 on: 17 June, 2019, 09:53:18 pm »
Any idea when we may get a route for this as just need to work out some logistics. Cheers

« Reply #42 on: 17 June, 2019, 11:28:30 pm »
Any idea when we may get a route for this as just need to work out some logistics. Cheers
My draft route (truncated at Paisley on the way back) is: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28889542?beta=false

« Reply #43 on: 20 June, 2019, 04:19:15 pm »
Hi, Can anyone tell me what the parking situation is like at the Scout Hut, are we able to leave cars there for the duration or will we have to find alternative parking locations once unloaded? Thanks

« Reply #44 on: 20 June, 2019, 09:39:36 pm »
Hi, Can anyone tell me what the parking situation is like at the Scout Hut, are we able to leave cars there for the duration or will we have to find alternative parking locations once unloaded? Thanks

I am on the 1200 and I just presumed could leave car there ! Thanks for asking the Q !

« Reply #45 on: 25 June, 2019, 07:46:01 am »
In anticipation of Andy's route, I'm exploring the possible route through the Highlands. Does this seem reasonable?:

Cross the Clyde at the Erskine Bridge
Follow minor road next to A82 until Dumbarton
Then A814 to Arrochar
Follow A83 to Inveraray (control, 100km from Paisley)
Then A819, A85 to Taynuilt
From there a small inland road (?) to Oban (control after 60km)
Back on the A85 to Connel Bridge
A828 to Ballachulish Bridge
A82 to Fort William (control after 70km) and back on the A82 to Erskine Bridge (Paisley control after 165km)

Not sure about the inland route from Taynuilt to Oban (seems okay in Google streetview). The alternative is just following the A85, I guess. Based on my schedule, I would be heading out of Fort William on Saturday afternoon, which is potentially a busy time?

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #46 on: 25 June, 2019, 08:22:26 am »
Not sure about the inland route from Taynuilt to Oban (seems okay in Google streetview).
That's the Glen Lonan Road you're talking about I think? I did cycle that road (from Oban to Taynuilt) six years ago and I do remember being assaulted by midges near the golf course (I was too slow on the climb). Otherwise, nice narrow road for touring.

If you're feeling adventurous / have time in hand: from Inveraray back South over the A83 then turn right at Auchindrain to climb the hill over a mostly gravel path then to Ford at the South end of Loch Awe followed by a nice but lumpy road West of Loch Awe to Taynuilt.

« Reply #47 on: 25 June, 2019, 08:55:18 am »
Not sure about the inland route from Taynuilt to Oban (seems okay in Google streetview).
That's the Glen Lonan Road you're talking about I think? I did cycle that road (from Oban to Taynuilt) six years ago and I do remember being assaulted by midges near the golf course (I was too slow on the climb). Otherwise, nice narrow road for touring.

If you're feeling adventurous / have time in hand: from Inveraray back South over the A83 then turn right at Auchindrain to climb the hill over a mostly gravel path then to Ford at the South end of Loch Awe followed by a nice but lumpy road West of Loch Awe to Taynuilt.

That's the Glen Lonan road. If midges are the biggest danger, then that seems fine.

I'm bringing a road bike with 25mm tyres, so I'm not going to risk detours on gravel roads...

« Reply #48 on: 25 June, 2019, 09:48:08 am »
That's the Glen Lonan Road you're talking about I think? . . <snip> . .  nice narrow road for touring.

Because the 'Oban' control is Dunbeg, the high road across to Oban from Taynuilt is an indulgent detour.
Don't think the idea of going SW from Inverary and south of Loch Awe to Ford (en route to the Connel Bridge, remember) is a choice many riders on a 1000k audax will/would choose, whatever their rough stuff threshold/wheels/tyres.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #49 on: 25 June, 2019, 11:08:31 am »
That's the Glen Lonan Road you're talking about I think? . . <snip> . .  nice narrow road for touring.

Because the 'Oban' control is Dunbeg, the high road across to Oban from Taynuilt is an indulgent detour.
Don't think the idea of going SW from Inverary and south of Loch Awe to Ford (en route to the Connel Bridge, remember, is a choice many riders on a 1000k audax will/would choose, whatever their rough stuff threshold/wheels/tyres.

Has Dunbeg been confirmed as acceptable for Oban?
The A85 is generally pretty quiet at that end outwith commuting times as is the road from Connel Ferry to Ballaculish.
The majority of tourists don't seem to go between Oban and Fort Bill because the 2 places have completely different touristic purposes (Port for the Islands Vs Famous Hills and a steam train)

Even if we do have to go into Oban the A85 is probably the better route to follow, as I remember it the Glencruitten road in is a bit twisty, single track, and rough by scottish standards

The Loch Awe road would be just a bit of a detour! Also it's generally devoid of tourists, so the vast majority of users know how to drive it...