Author Topic: The pet-specific bad news thread  (Read 97194 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: The pet-specific bad news thread
« Reply #375 on: 20 July, 2017, 08:50:57 am »
:( He was a handsome fellow.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #376 on: 20 July, 2017, 02:58:47 pm »
What a floofy tummy! That's so sad, but you did the right thing.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #377 on: 20 September, 2017, 07:20:24 pm »
We got a phone call, today, from a local vets. One of our two had been found not very far from the house, where he had crawled after having his pelvis smashed by a car.

After xrays and a check up we discovered that any treatment might not help and would cost in the region of £2k. We decided that it was the humane thing to let him go.

Good night, Oreo, you are missed already.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #378 on: 20 September, 2017, 07:25:45 pm »
Sorry, Tiermat :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #379 on: 20 September, 2017, 08:33:28 pm »
 :(

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #380 on: 20 September, 2017, 08:34:18 pm »
Oh I'm sorry to hear that Tiermat.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #381 on: 20 September, 2017, 08:39:35 pm »
Sad news indeed.  :(
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #382 on: 20 September, 2017, 08:43:11 pm »
So sorry to hear this.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #383 on: 20 September, 2017, 11:50:35 pm »
So sorry to hear.

« Reply #384 on: 24 September, 2017, 09:25:58 pm »
RIP Ram-a-lamb-a Ding Dong.

Found dead this morning - apparently natural causes. He was the biggest of our two ram lambs this year.
It would be backward to get sentimental about him since he'd have been off to slaughter in a couple of months anyway. Nonetheless, we bottle fed this chap after his mum got mastitis and he had great character. He's also the first sheep we've lost in four years. It all leaves a question mark as to what caused the death. He was right as rain yesterday. No evidence of common sheep ailments.

« Reply #385 on: 17 October, 2017, 12:06:22 am »
RIP Ram-a-lamb-a Ding Dong.

Found dead this morning - apparently natural causes. He was the biggest of our two ram lambs this year.
It would be backward to get sentimental about him since he'd have been off to slaughter in a couple of months anyway. Nonetheless, we bottle fed this chap after his mum got mastitis and he had great character. He's also the first sheep we've lost in four years. It all leaves a question mark as to what caused the death. He was right as rain yesterday. No evidence of common sheep ailments.

As sep the magic peasant would say, he achieved his life's ambition.

I find with sheep pretty much any excuse to shuffle off this mortal coil will do, so none lost for 4 years is pretty good going.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

essexian

« Reply #386 on: 02 April, 2018, 06:54:36 am »
Petal, AKA “Pet the Fet,” “Scuttle Bug” or “Chick Pea.

14th August 2010 to 31st March 2018.

Let me take you back to a warm Saturday evening in 2010 when Elma (at the time unnamed) a fat female stray cat once again sneaked into our house looking for food, or so we thought. What we didn't realise (we had only had tom cats to that date..) was that 30 minutes later we would be proud staff members to five new bundles of joy, including the runt of the litter, Petal.

Up against her two brothers, the sadly missed Grey Boys and her sister Pixie, there was nothing much of Petal as she never weighed more than 3.5kg against over 6kg for her siblings (Posie is a lightweigh at only 4.5kg). However, what she lacked in size, she made up for in personality, speed and jumping ability. Indeed, Petal never walked anywhere but preferred to jog: hence one of her nicknames.

While Petal had a happy life sleeping up high: she used to love sleeping onto of the fridge freezer, on top of the book case or if it was sunny, on top of next doors solar panels, she did not have the best of health. At an early age she developed a skin complaint which resulted in excessive grooming and the lost of a lot of fur. We were able to treat this but nothing could be done on that faithful day in 2013 when we discovered that three of our kittens had caught FLV

It is to my eternal shame and regret: something I know I will never forgive myself for, that we did not consider getting the kittens vaccinated against all nasties at a young age: we had never done so with our other cats so simply didn't think of it this time. Our major piece of neglect saw first the lovely Perkins taken from us at only 2 years old: hardly any life and then his grey brother the massive Pootle at five. Together, when healthy the grey boys were two of the best looking cats ever....although I am somewhat bias.

We knew Petal's life would be a short one but day after day we woke to find her sitting by her bowl waiting for her fish in butter sauce and prawns breakfast like she did every morning: Petal refused to eat cat food and would feast in the afternoon on freshly boiled chicken along with beef slices... Petal also liked a lot of fresh water due to poor kidney function resulting in the purchase of “Petals Pot”, a plastic, er, pot which we could leave dripping so she could get water whenever she wanted.

When the end came for Petal, thankfully it wasn't drawn out, although it was clear that she had had her terminal problem for some time once we discovered she was not well.... our Vet says cats are some of the best actors in the world and will cover up pain until its often too late.

Having had last week off on leave, I was able to spend a lot of time in the house and observed that Petal didn't quite seem right. She was still eating and drinking but was taking her time over it, and she seemed to have lost her scuttle.  Also, more worryingly, she did not seem to be able to lay down normally: whenever she tried, she would quickly move back to a more comfortable position. Come Friday, she was very quiet: something CBH also noted, so a trip to the vets next day was arranged.

Come the appointed hour, normally as soon as the cat basket (well one of them, we have five!) arrives in the living room, the room clears of cats. This time, there was no movement from Petal who had not eaten all day, so it was simple to collect her: Not a good sign. It was also a horrible sign when the vet examined her and went pale upon finding a massive tumour on her stomach, so much so when the vet touched it, Petal collapsed in pain and just laid there for a few minutes panting for air.

We knew that there would be no more sunny bright days blocking next doors electricity generation for Petal so let her gentle slip into the afterlife: I really hope there is an afterlife for cats as Petal certainly deserves one. Me, I deserve seven circles of Hell for not having the three lost kittens vaccinated.

20150614_080539 by essexian, on Flickr

“Scuttle Bug” 2010 to 2018.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #387 on: 02 April, 2018, 09:38:41 am »
That’s a sad story. FLV is a horrible disease. And losing any cat is difficult.  :'(
It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #388 on: 02 April, 2018, 08:44:29 pm »
Sorry, essexian. Nice eulogy though.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #389 on: 02 April, 2018, 08:50:38 pm »
Sorry to read this!

essexian

« Reply #390 on: 03 April, 2018, 02:24:20 pm »
Thanks all. We took her to be cremated earlier and will collect the remains later today. We have an urn arranged for her to rest in.

If you would permit me one more photo: the last one I can find of her taken early last month. Looking back, I can see she has lost some weight since the picture above.

2018-04-02_04-52-34 by essexian, on Flickr

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #391 on: 05 April, 2018, 11:10:49 am »
Gutted to hear that Lucy got cancer and will have to be put down later today. Lucy was only about 18 month old when we meet her back in 2012 when staying with a friend in California. Over two weeks staying with them, we really bonded with her. She is also one of the big reasons, why I managed to talk Peli into letting me show her how much joy/love/laughter a dog could bring to your life. One of our fondest memories of her was that she would come out to our tent in the garden every morning, not understanding what a fly net was and would try to crawl under the inner tent to get to us. Also the peace and calm - as she was a very bouncy/giddy girl back then - she would sit with when she sat in the awning of the tent and looked out into the garden.

This is Lucy, see you on the other side of the rainbow.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #392 on: 19 August, 2018, 08:00:36 pm »
Well that was a bit of a dampener. The people looking after our holiday landlord's house just told us that our landlord's dog is dead. He had been mooching about by us all afternoon until about an hour previously, and didn't appear to be in distress  :-\

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #393 on: 19 August, 2018, 09:47:46 pm »
Well that was a bit of a dampener. The people looking after our holiday landlord's house just told us that our landlord's dog is dead. He had been mooching about by us all afternoon until about an hour previously, and didn't appear to be in distress  :-\

This was him a couple of hours before, seeming perfectly normal for an oldish dog:

IMG_1458_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #394 on: 20 August, 2018, 01:34:55 pm »
Not my pet but I think I hit a Cat on the M25 J11 this morning. I was in Lane 4 of 4 when this black object appeared from beside the left side of the car in front. thump thump as I couldn't avoid it followed by checking the mirrors to see an animal streaking for the hard shoulder.

It looked the size of a small or juvenile cat, all black. Otherwise it could have been a ferret or polecat.

:'(

fuzzy

« Reply #395 on: 21 August, 2018, 10:40:47 pm »
Today was one of those days where being a pet owner is an emotional sump.

Scooby, our little white and tortie has been under the weather for a week or so, off her food and not drinking much. We took her in to the vets on Friday afternoon and she was admitted for tests and support. Over the weekend, the blood and urine checks were showing very low red and white cell counts, high protein levels and general wrongness along with a raised temperature.

The vets tried oral antibiotics, injections and then intravenous. She was on a drip to keep her fluids up but yesterday, she was still not responding. She had an abdo ultrasound and they vets detected small pockets of fluids dotted around her gut area and a thickening of the lining. Nothing obvious as a cause for her distress. We visited and brought her some treat food. She ate about a mouthful but then went and laid in the litter tray to get away from the food. She was not happy, though our presence was enough to make her purr and fuss. The vets suggested the next course of action could be bone marrow biopsies etc under general anesthetic.

Last night was very emotional for Mrs F and I. We decide that Scooby was too old and weak to be messed around with invasive procedures under general. We agreed that if she showed no improvement overnight or deteriorated, it was time to say goodbye.

To make it harder, No.2 Son, who doted on Scooby and who was Scoobies go to lap in the evening had been away for the weekend in Paris popping the question. He was completely unaware of the seriousness of her condition. We had to break the news this morning when he got home.

A call from the vet later this morning confirmed our fears. No.2 Son, Mrs F and I went to the vets early this afternoon. Mrs F couldn't come in, she was distraught. No.2 Son and I had some time with Scooby, who was purring and comforted to see him. She curled up on my lap and buried her nose in the crook of my arm. The vet was able to administer the final dose as she laid and purred. She went to sleep for the last time in my arms.

I am blubbing like a child as I write this. 15 years we had looked after her. More than half No.2 sons life.

Thank you Scooby and goodbye.
IMG_0037 by Matt Langridge, on Flickr

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #396 on: 21 August, 2018, 10:45:01 pm »
Condolences.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #397 on: 21 August, 2018, 10:57:52 pm »
 :(

« Reply #398 on: 21 August, 2018, 11:14:25 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #399 on: 22 August, 2018, 12:29:09 pm »
That's hard.  Giving them an easy death is one of our duties to our animals, but it's always heartbreaking to go through, especially when you have to hold in the tears to drive home afterwards.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight