Author Topic: Wall-mounted bracket to grip wheel?  (Read 4299 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Wall-mounted bracket to grip wheel?
« on: 18 November, 2014, 06:57:24 pm »
I've just come across something called Clug. It's a bracket shaped and sized to grip your wheel, which you fix to the wall where you want to keep your bike - so your bike stands on its rear wheel and takes up less space. They sell it for $25 plus whatever it costs to post it over the Atlantic, and then maybe, if you're unlucky, there'll be customs on top.

I'm sure YACF bodgers can suggest some homemade alternatives?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Wall-mounted bracket to grip wheel?
« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2014, 07:01:08 pm »
Interesting, what's wrong with the usual hook type bracket?  This seems inherently limited to specific tyre sizes.  I suppose it would work for disc wheels.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 18 November, 2014, 07:24:07 pm »
I think the idea is this one just looks neater when unoccupied and is probably a bit more convenient for mounting on a vertical surface (rather than from the ceiling). Also,as you say, it doesn't matter what depth your rims are or where your spokes are relative to the bracket. I'm sure you could get a wide one and do something clever with rubber or similar to fit various tyre widths.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2016, 01:07:08 am »
Place in London selling them at £14.99. Lost the link, sorry.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2016, 08:17:36 am »
New way to spell kluge.

Nah, it's not a bad idea. Looks easy to bodge up, too.  Oak's nice.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2016, 11:26:51 am »
If you're after storage that will hang from the wall, I think this looks the business:
http://road.cc/content/review/181325-feedback-sports-velo-hinge
Allows you to fit multiple bikes and fold them towards the wall so you can put them close together and still get the bike you want out of the middle. I've not got around to getting them yet though, so can't speak from experience.

And to keep it on topic, I like the suggestion of the guy in the comments to use a 2x4, stick a hook and a bit of gutter onto it and then use hinges to attach the 2x4 to the wall so that the whole assembly can pivot!

I've no idea how I am going to hang my trike, or if I have the wall space to do so, but that's not such a big deal because I'd have to finish it first!!! ::-)
Cheers
Duncan

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2016, 02:13:36 pm »
I like the folding hook very much.

There's also the bike shelf, which works best for bikes with (near) horizontal top tubes. This utilitarian version can be made from shelf brackets and any old bits of wood. Beautiful versions are also available.