Author Topic: Picking my jaw back up off the ground  (Read 6088 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Picking my jaw back up off the ground
« on: 12 October, 2009, 09:42:23 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/56kJ99AvfoI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/56kJ99AvfoI&rel=1</a>

That is through extreme and out the other side..  Splicing of footage from the front rider and a following bike.

:o :o :o :o
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: Picking my jaw back up off the ground
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2009, 10:34:59 am »
Saw that recently on the telly too. I didn't understand in the commentary from the rider why he wasn't saying: "Drop…ping…ping…ping …dow…dow…nnnn some more… ste…ste…ppppppppp…pppps" 'Cos I know I would, with a few "Bloody Hells" thrown in for good measure!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

David Martin

« Reply #2 on: 12 October, 2009, 11:30:48 am »
Saw that recently on the telly too. I didn't understand in the commentary from the rider why he wasn't saying: "Drop…ping…ping…ping …dow…dow…nnnn some more… ste…ste…ppppppppp…pppps" 'Cos I know I would, with a few "Bloody Hells" thrown in for good measure!

I think my commentary would start in much the same way as yours. It would then be continued in fairly short order with "Arghhh!! $%! *$£^%!  $^&* £%%$^! !!! No, it's OK, I  don't think I need an ambulance."

« Reply #3 on: 12 October, 2009, 03:33:02 pm »
Personally, I thought it was lacking something.

Riders draped in laundry-hung washing lines, exploding out the side of a shack in a cloud of feathers and escaping chickens. :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Riggers

« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2009, 03:44:16 pm »
I believe you're forgetting the proper start to the race Speshers, with our hero hastily putting on his boots, hopping around the floor in an all-in-one undergarment, flying out the door pursued by an angry Father attempting to defend his daughter's deflowerment. She of course, is leaning on the opened window, all doe-eyed and smouldering with… well, with whatever these girls smoulder with.

« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2009, 03:54:11 pm »
And it needs to be filmed in black & white, at just the right framerate to get that classic pixillated motion effect of the old silent movies.

Soundtrack courtesy of a saloon bar piano, naturellement. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Riggers

« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2009, 03:56:23 pm »
"I keeeel you gringo!"

« Reply #7 on: 12 October, 2009, 04:01:38 pm »
Excellent!

Now maybe people understand why it is so hard for the Police force to go up there too -- narrow, twisting, mapless streets...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 12 October, 2009, 04:12:32 pm »
Awesome. Love it. Looks like too much fun. I wanna have a go!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

no97trap

« Reply #9 on: 12 October, 2009, 04:21:44 pm »
Where do the locals park their cars  ???

LEE

« Reply #10 on: 12 October, 2009, 05:01:44 pm »
He was cycling through a Brazilian Favela.

I'd have been going a lot faster.

« Reply #11 on: 12 October, 2009, 05:03:34 pm »

I wouldnt,  I can see lots and lots of places ( like 99% of the track)  where I really really really wouldnt want to make a mistake

LEE

« Reply #12 on: 12 October, 2009, 05:05:22 pm »

I wouldnt,  I can see lots and lots of places ( like 99% of the track)  where I really really really wouldnt want to make a mistake

If you're cycling through a Brazilian Favela then you already made your biggest mistake.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 12 October, 2009, 05:06:51 pm »
Pah. It's all about the bike. I'd like to see them do that on a Grifter.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #14 on: 12 October, 2009, 05:07:25 pm »

I wouldnt,  I can see lots and lots of places ( like 99% of the track)  where I really really really wouldnt want to make a mistake

If you're cycling through a Brazilian Favela then you already made your biggest mistake.

Ever been into one?! Have you? People are usually okay in fact in a lot of cases; the problem is mainly when the drug barons play cow boys with the police...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Riggers

« Reply #15 on: 12 October, 2009, 05:10:58 pm »
"I keeeel you copper"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 12 October, 2009, 07:59:00 pm »
Athertons.  Awesome.
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #17 on: 12 October, 2009, 11:02:37 pm »
What gets me is that a significant proportion of the route was off roofs and such like. Simply awsome, narrow and terrifying.

« Reply #18 on: 14 October, 2009, 03:42:58 pm »
Where do the locals park their cars  ???

Cars? It is in a Favela......cars are not always the most important posession in the favela! But that is seriously insane riding, not quite your local single track.The streets are crazy tight, and avoiding the crazy dogs is justone of the challenges

« Reply #19 on: 14 October, 2009, 08:02:04 pm »

I wouldnt,  I can see lots and lots of places ( like 99% of the track)  where I really really really wouldnt want to make a mistake

Ever been into one?! Have you? People are usually okay in fact in a lot of cases; the problem is mainly when the drug barons play cow boys with the police...

I did work on Brazilian Favela's last year or the year before in Geography. The people just all help each other to build them up/do improvements, and some even have running water, toilets and electricity(if i remember right) which is pretty good.
There are even a few hotels/B+B type things in some where people can stay.
Was pretty interesting really, and wouldn't be bad to go to one i think.
Showed a child who helped people who went to the shops back into their space and would watch there car, the people would then pay him.
Teacher reckoned that if the people said no to them, then chances are they would damage the car.

Very good video by the way 8)

Don't question. It makes people angry.

alan

« Reply #20 on: 14 October, 2009, 08:20:12 pm »
and would watch there car, the people would then pay him.
Teacher reckoned that if the people said no to them, then chances are they would damage the car.

That's the usual deal when parking at Goodison Park or Anfield other than in "established" parking areas. ::-)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #21 on: 14 October, 2009, 08:21:53 pm »
Them there Athertons make the Dukes of Hazzard look like puffs!   :thumbsup: :smug:

Tha' knows!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

alan

« Reply #22 on: 14 October, 2009, 08:24:18 pm »
Definatley a brown-trouser ride