Author Topic: Lincolnshire Cross 200 - Sat. 7th Aug  (Read 3815 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Lincolnshire Cross 200 - Sat. 7th Aug
« on: 20 July, 2010, 10:43:39 am »
On 7th Aug I'll be riding the Lincolnshire Cross, which is a new event, with my folks and as it'll be their first 200 I hope I've chosen wisely.... It starts from Cuckney in Nottinghamshire and heads off to visit lots of windmills, and lots of info controls :-\.

A NEW 207km ride across Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire that celebrates 18th Century green technology by visiting a number of working windmills from Tuxford to Waltham, near Cleethorpes.

This region saw the windmill reach the height of its technology with the tall elegant brick tower topped by a distinctive onion-shaped or ‘ogee’ cap. A feature peculiar to this region is the cast-iron Lincolnshire Cross, developed in the late 18th Century by the engineer John Smeaton from Leeds, which allows mills to be built with any number of sails. The area boasts 4, 5, 6 and even 8-sailed windmills.

The ride starts from Cuckney and heads north east through Clumber Park to a café control at Mount Pleasant Windmill at Kirton-in-Lindsey, with info controls at North Leverton Windmill and Heapham Windmill near Gainsborough en route. A further café control at Waltham Windmill near Cleethorpes marks the half way point on the ride before returning to Cuckney via info controls at Ludford, Ellis Windmill in Lincoln and Tuxford Windmill

This is the route on bikehike.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Euan Uzami

Re: Lincolnshire Cross 200 - Sat. 7th Aug
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2010, 09:57:41 pm »
i'm in for it. would be rude not to really since it follows part of my commute   ;)

αdαmsκι

« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2010, 09:59:03 pm »
Have you had your route sheet? I'm still waiting for mine, tho at least I know my entry has been received 'cos the cheque has been cashed.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Euan Uzami

« Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2010, 11:50:07 pm »

« Reply #4 on: 05 August, 2010, 08:23:05 pm »
Route sheet arrived today. Looking forward to this one - a new one in this area!!

« Reply #5 on: 05 August, 2010, 08:31:11 pm »
OOh look forward to the reports on this. Cant do it this year, have a prior engagement but it looks like a good 'un and not too far away so might plan it in for next year

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6 on: 05 August, 2010, 08:33:08 pm »
IME windmills = hills

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 05 August, 2010, 08:41:43 pm »
...lots of info controls :-\.

How many?

Must be something about Lincolnshire. The Alford 200 "Fen & Wold" has at least 11 Infos. When I rode it (one of those rides I'll only ride once probably) the infos were letters sprayed onto the road. A previous rendition of the event had been "problematic" when rain washed the infos away.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #8 on: 05 August, 2010, 10:06:57 pm »
only seems to be 4 - north leverton and heapham appear to be necessary, ludford & tuxford debatably so, the latter in spirit though

αdαmsκι

« Reply #9 on: 06 August, 2010, 11:02:26 am »
no haven't got the route sheet yet but the route is Gmaps Pedometer

Warning! I've just had a look at that route and there are a couple of problems I noticed. Firstly, in Gainsborough after crossing The Trent the GPS route turns left right (dyslexic moment), but that's a one way street. Secondarily, in Lincoln the GPS route doesn't take you to the control.

See you tomorrow.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #10 on: 06 August, 2010, 05:15:02 pm »
also I believe on leg 1 just after clumber park the "R @T / L $ bothamsall" over the A614 is actually a SO @ X.
not using the route sheet though anyway 'cos i'm on my road bike

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #11 on: 06 August, 2010, 08:20:59 pm »
IME windmills = hills

I only worked that out earlier today!  I hate hills.

« Reply #12 on: 06 August, 2010, 09:52:10 pm »
IME windmills = hills

IME windmills = the highest things in a non-hilly landscape.  And I'm from Lincolnshire.

Firstly, in Gainsborough after crossing The Trent the GPS route turns left right (dyslexic moment), but that's a one way street.

It has not been a one-way street for very long.  I don't have the route-sheet, but if you continue after the Trent Bridge to the next RBT - only a hundred metres or so further on -  then take the 3rd exit it will take you to the next RBT which I'm guessing is the next instruction.  So there you should take the 1st exit rather than 2nd.  That was the LEL route southbound.

« Reply #13 on: 06 August, 2010, 10:20:27 pm »
...lots of info controls :-\.

How many?

Must be something about Lincolnshire. The Alford 200 "Fen & Wold" has at least 11 Infos. When I rode it (one of those rides I'll only ride once probably) the infos were letters sprayed onto the road. A previous rendition of the event had been "problematic" when rain washed the infos away.

I rode that one - all infos washed away - quite funny really!!  ;D

rob

« Reply #14 on: 07 August, 2010, 07:34:46 am »
Bugger.   Like the look of the route.   Loads of roads I used to ride 20 years ago.    The evening 10 used to go through Waltham.

Stuck at home this weekend.

Enjoy everyone.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #15 on: 07 August, 2010, 07:51:42 pm »
Excellent ride really enjoyed that.
Adam, nice to meet you, and Marcus & Russ nice to meet you again.

am going to be entering a couple of Matt's 100s which are being put on in sept/oct from bolsover.

thanks for the organisation and good route Matt.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #16 on: 07 August, 2010, 10:21:48 pm »
Great ride. New experience being at the back of the field. First 200 for my parents and they did well. Good to meet Ben and Marcus too.

Will probably do some of the autumn rides, too.

marcus

« Reply #17 on: 08 August, 2010, 09:40:23 am »
That was an enjoyable ride. Made me realise that Lincolnshire does have some nice countryside. The long stretch along the A57 on the final leg was a bit of a drag. Matt said that if/when he runs this again he will offer an alternative route from Lincoln to Tuxford.

Good to meet adamski on his family outing. And to see Ben again - for some reason I hadn't connected you with the Ben on yacf!

Euan Uzami

« Reply #18 on: 08 August, 2010, 02:50:16 pm »
That was an enjoyable ride. Made me realise that Lincolnshire does have some nice countryside. The long stretch along the A57 on the final leg was a bit of a drag. Matt said that if/when he runs this again he will offer an alternative route from Lincoln to Tuxford.

Good to meet adamski on his family outing. And to see Ben again - for some reason I hadn't connected you with the Ben on yacf!

was sitting opposite you and John H on the train to the BCM if you remember  ;) ;D

marcus

« Reply #19 on: 08 August, 2010, 04:30:28 pm »

was sitting opposite you and John H on the train to the BCM if you remember  ;) ;D

oh yes I remember that - I just hadn't twigged that you were the Ben that posted on yacf. I'm always struggling to match people Ive met in person with their online identities.  :)