Author Topic: The Clwydian 200 from Corwen - Sat. 9/10/10  (Read 3152 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
The Clwydian 200 from Corwen - Sat. 9/10/10
« on: 17 September, 2010, 05:20:14 pm »
I've just sent off my entry for this hilly 200 (3½ AAA points) from Corwen, in north Wales. I've not seen the full route, but I believe it heads around Lake Bala and then sends the rides towards Ruthin and Mold, followed by a visit to the seaside between Prestatyn and Rhyl and finally a blast back to Corwen. I'd be interested in seeing the proper route if anyone has it from last year. Clicky click for the ride details.

There's also a 138 km ride (The Clwyd Gate) which gets 2¼ AAA points.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: The Clwydian 200 from Corwen - Sat. 9/10/10
« Reply #1 on: 17 September, 2010, 06:31:19 pm »
I might be wrong, but I think this event has skipped a couple of years due to the untimely demise of the former organiser.  So there won't be a recent routesheet, and a new organiser might have changed the route anyway.

I could be barking up the wrong tree.  Or just barking.

I can't do this one this year, but if it runs again next I would hopefully be in a position to enter.  Lovely part of the world.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #2 on: 17 September, 2010, 07:05:44 pm »
I'm doing this   :thumbsup:
"last 20k is all downhill" !! :o :)
how can you argue with that?  ;D (bet it's a lie  ;))

JohnHamilton

« Reply #3 on: 17 September, 2010, 08:12:41 pm »
Not sure if I'll be there or not. In it's former incarnation run by Graham "Mills The Hills" this was one of my favorites and one I've ridden every year since starting audax. It got re-introduced last year by the new org. Will be interesting to see if the change to October makes it feel any different - it always used to be quite tough at the end of March.

As for the "last 20k is all downhill", well that is true, but what it omits to say is that the preceding 30k is all uphill from sea level at the final control at Abergele to 450m+ on the Denbigh moors.

« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2010, 11:34:21 am »
Rode this one, two years ago in March.  Lovely route but gets hillier as the ride goes on and having not ridden it before, didnt know anything about the last section out of Abergele as U N Dulates says.

Beware of the 40% hill DOWN into Prestatyn and eat well at the Abergele control.

Enjoy  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2010, 05:48:47 pm »
The fact that Mr. Dulates considers this a ride worth getting out of bed for may indicate the hilliness of the route...

I've done it; turned up late so chasing time for the first half.  Very scenic.  Except the bit between Prestatyn and Abergele, where you will get to observe the full effect of cycle paths in North Wales (banking that a velodrome would be proud of - with sand).  It also has a bizarre piece of road where you will be riding up a hill in a housing estate, and suddenly you are in the moors.  Peculiqueer.

Also, as Jethro says,, there is a downhill section. Make sure your bike has brakes.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2010, 04:38:44 pm »
Also, as Jethro says,, there is a downhill section. Make sure your bike has brakes.

after one too many too-close-for-comfort moments on the tregaron dragon my bike is now sporting a shiny new set of modern tektros, this ride will be a good chance to test them out! ;) (as well as bumping my AAA's over 40!)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: 26 September, 2010, 11:41:07 pm »
Checked; some minor corrections being forwarded.

Sunny but cold day, but the rain held off.

Enjoy.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #8 on: 03 October, 2010, 11:22:43 am »
Iddu, what was this like on t'cog? My geared bike needs major surgery and if I don't get it sorted out I'll be on the Pomp.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: 03 October, 2010, 05:29:19 pm »
>what was this like on t'cog?
Umm - for some unfathomable reason I took Toby Testudo Tardus, with N+1 thingys...

>and if I don't get it sorted out I'll be on the Pomp.
You'll be 'reet. Going down the 33%(*) will be the hardest. There is one vicious litte bugger on Fford Pentre Bach that sneaks up on you, but everything else is grumpable without issue.

(*) Chiz: Signage says 25% going UP, but I don't do that ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #10 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:35:42 am »
I have 4 ( < 500 tp's ) gpx tracks covering the route if anybody wants. Last time I did this (GM's last year ) it totally slashed it down coming back over the Denbigh moors but its looking good for this year. Thanks to Dave Matthews for putting this one back on.  :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

« Reply #11 on: 07 October, 2010, 04:47:28 pm »
JayP; GPX tracks of the route would be super - I'll send you a PM. (I attempted to plot one last night from the routesheet, but gave up because it was too much faff, and more importantly I had work to be completing.)

revrob

• YACF 426
« Reply #12 on: 07 October, 2010, 10:47:33 pm »
I'm up for this as well!
It was the first 200K which I did on fixed - 66 inch I think - and I did finish at 9.45pm!
I shall probably be on gears this time.
Weather looks very promising for October!

See some of you there!
Pob bendith,

Robert

αdαmsκι

« Reply #13 on: 10 October, 2010, 03:33:37 pm »
A good day out with Ben T. who put up with my faffing - one snake bite puncture; one dropped camera :-[; a chain that fell onto the BB shell a few times; and on the last leg a slow puncture that was fixed by pumping up the tyre a couple of times.

It wasn't as sunny as the forecast had predicted, but the drizzle that was falling on Corwen at 07h30 vanished. The first 50 km around Lake Bala are fast and flat, and then the hills and wind began. Nice to be cycling in a new area and through some lovely scenery. A hilly 200 has also helped to get rid of my cold

Except the bit between Prestatyn and Abergele, where you will get to observe the full effect of cycle paths in North Wales (banking that a velodrome would be proud of - with sand).

:o  ;D  This section is crazy.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #14 on: 10 October, 2010, 11:43:38 pm »
yeah nice ride good to ride with you Adam. does the camera work again?  :)

the difference between that and a velodrome is a velodrome's banking not only doesn't  have sand but also isn't in a straight line... ::-) ;) ;)

αdαmsκι

« Reply #15 on: 11 October, 2010, 07:26:36 pm »
does the camera work again?  :)

It seems to be OK, but as the memory card is currently somewhere in the Irish Sea I won't find out for sure until I get a new card.